OEM Tires...

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 AM
No longer in denial

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Tires...

So I had a flat fixed right before the holiday weekend at Sears. The tire guy there was in envy of my OEM tires! he was trying to tell me that the tires I have on my car are fitted for Audis and Jags and run about $150 a piece...

If I'm not mistaken aren't theses tires on the crappy side and don't run that high in price? I just played dumb like I didn't know what he was talking about since I wasn't there to buy tires anyway I didn't feel like it was worth arguing about... I just couldn't believe he was praising those damn crappy tires. When I mentioned getting Faulkens as a replacement he totally tried to talk me out of it. Sounds like somebody was trying to sucker me in...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

maybe he was trying to suck up to you ? was he checkin out your ?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:44 AM
No longer in denial

Originally Posted by matelot

I don't just flash my around! They were under wraps. No reason to suck up to a girl who's coming in for at simple flat repair. Oh well atleast I can get away with playing dumb!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 AM
Quattro in.....

While I am not a fan of the OEM tires on the TSX they are actually quite expensive. Priced at $185 at tirerack, excluding shipping.

Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 priced at Tirerack
Old 05-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Goldmember

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEMs are expensive actually. $180-200 at most places, each! I wouldn't do Falkens. Try the Yokos Avid for all weather.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:35 AM
Hondaholic

They are outrageously expensive for what they offer, but at least they are quiet and wear well.

If you're into performance driving, it's worth it to look into changing them. If you're just cruising around, they're fine.......
Old 05-31-2005, 11:43 AM
No longer in denial

I'm just going to ride them out. I commute daily for work and I'm not looking to spend the $$$ right now to change them. I have other mods I want to do anyways...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyM
They are outrageously expensive for what they offer, but at least they are quiet and wear well.

If you're into performance driving, it's worth it to look into changing them. If you're just cruising around, they're fine.......
I'd have to disagree with you on them being quiet. I find them quite noisy. But they do wear well.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:19 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by jlukja
I'd have to disagree with you on them being quiet. I find them quite noisy. But they do wear well.
Hmmmmmm........for the few thousand miles that I had them on, I never really noticed them. I guess compared to the various performance tires I've had over the years, them seem really quiet to me; my ES100s are very noisy......
Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LannyM
Hmmmmmm........for the few thousand miles that I had them on, I never really noticed them. I guess compared to the various performance tires I've had over the years, them seem really quiet to me; my ES100s are very noisy......
I was just about to order some ES100s. What is your mileage and other than noise, how were they? Would you buy again?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
The OEM tires, while not very good by performance standards, are really a good compromise in terms of tire life, grip, all weather usability, and noise. There are plenty of other tires on the market that can do one or two things better than the OEM tires, but few of them can balance all the characteristics simultaneously. That said, the OEMs are ridiculously expensive and are indeed standard equipment for a lot of manufacturers.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:11 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by PsychoInDenial
I'm just going to ride them out. I commute daily for work and I'm not looking to spend the $$$ right now to change them. I have other mods I want to do anyways...
Same here!!! Hondata to fix the torque and power curves first, then worry about the rubbers later
Old 05-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by moda_way
I was just about to order some ES100s. What is your mileage and other than noise, how were they? Would you buy again?
I'm running 225/45/17s; these were the tires that Acura spec'd for the RSX A-Spec package, and I found a dealer that was sitting on a bunch of them and got them for $400.

I've only put a couple thousand miles on them; I still can't believe the level of grip they have compared to the stock tires. With the stock tires, both VSA and ABS were active all of the time, especially in the wet. Since I've put the ES100s on, I've yet to activate either in the dry; not for lack of trying. Also, no matter how hard I've braked in the wet, I have not kicked in the ABS. I did manage to get the VSA to come on in the rain (in a empty parking lot), but only through ridiculous maneuvers that you wouldn't ever do on public roads.

And I realize that there are better tires out there, but for the $$, I'm really happy, even if I only get 10K miles out of them. (I live less than a mile from work so my mileage stays way down.)

Downsides-kinda noisy, not the worst I've heard though, wear is supposed to be bad, but I don't have enough mileage to gauge yet, and they follow every groove and wave in the road.

Would I do it again? Overall I'm pretty happy with them, but I need to think about next winter, and I may look to go with a high performance all season-I refuse to go back to the OEMS. If I can get even some of the grip of these in an all season, I'd probably be satisfied. I'm kinda thinking Toyo Proxes 4s.........
Old 05-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the right up LannyM. I think you've solidified my decision to get them. I was also going to do the 225/45s.

On the Toyo's... they are great out of the box and last a while, but they get really hard during the last bit of the tire wear. Everyone I know that has bought Toyo's loved them new, but lost a lot of performance when they got older; sorta like our OEMs.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:05 PM
Got Milk???

I got Kumho Ecsta 711s
- cost fractions compared to stock
- never heard a tire scream with VSA off (with stock, you hear them everyday even with VSA on)
- rides slightly quieter than stock
- only downside is the 260AAA tread instead of stock 300AAA, but i'd give up that 40 for all the goodies i get in return
Old 05-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Racer

The OEM tires are $235.00 each at the local Acura dealer and $265 each at a local Michelin tire dealer. So, you may want to treat them with tender, loving, care.

Being low profile, the tires can be damaged a lot easier than a tire you would find on most family cars. A good pothole can burst a tire.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matelot
Precisely!!! He was jus trying to Good looking women always get special treatment when they go places. When I go to best buy by myself I have to take an autographed copy of the bible to trade for some service. When I take my special lady friend, her breasteses seem to attract "help" from every male employee within a 25 mile radius. If I only had breasteses and a vanaigia, I would rule the world!

OEM tires suck!!! I have 35 series tires that are quieter and ride smoother than those noisey ass OEMs.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by kaikai114
- never heard a tire scream with VSA off (with stock, you hear them everyday even with VSA on)
the stockers screeching even with VSA on is super annoying
Old 06-01-2005, 03:29 PM
No longer in denial

Originally Posted by CJams
Precisely!!! He was jus trying to Good looking women always get special treatment when they go places. When I go to best buy by myself I have to take an autographed copy of the bible to trade for some service. When I take my special lady friend, her breasteses seem to attract "help" from every male employee within a 25 mile radius. If I only had breasteses and a vanaigia, I would rule the world!

OEM tires suck!!! I have 35 series tires that are quieter and ride smoother than those noisey ass OEMs.
I guess you guys are right I should be happy I wasn't born . Either way atleast I get good service.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by CJams

LMAO... WTF... "vanaigia" lol
Old 06-02-2005, 09:39 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canyonball
LMAO... WTF... "vanaigia" lol
Ya like that? Das wut I calls it!