Need tire recommendations from all you TSX owners out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007 | 08:28 AM
1st Gear

Need tire recommendations from all you TSX owners out there

Hello,

I need help from people who really know tires. I am well aware that tires are the lifeblood of a car and how important they are but I do not want to spend a fortune replacing tires considering I have basic needs. I need to replace my original 04 tsx tires as I am just getting 41k out of them and the tread is very thin. I need suggestions for all around touring tires that are going to get me maximum mileage and perform well. I'm looking to get 50k out of my next pair. I was looking at the Michelin Pilot MXM4 215/50R17, but it seems rather expensive at $210 per tire. Where I live (DC) we never get snow, so I don't care about that. I do not drive agressively, or gun it then slam on the brakes, so I do not need a tire that would be responsible to those conditions. My driving is mostly highway.

Thanks
Evan
Old 05-08-2007 | 08:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had an 04 TSX that i got for free from my uncle (love my uncle :thumbsup) and when he gave it to me, he had just put on brand new tires since the car had 32k miles on it. He had Yokohama AS430's on it, which you can usually only get from a dealer, NTB (National Tire & Battery) or a few other places like that. I really had nothing to compare them to since i had never felt the stock ones however, i traded the 04 in for an 06 with the stock stuff and WOW they were quieter, better grip, MUCH better in rain and snow, and they only cost about $130 each.

As for easy to get tires, most guys will say check out Tirerack.com and here are the top choices for all season stock replacement among most of the guys on here:
Yokohama HS4/V4S
Avon Tech M550
Bridgestone Pole Position

I have all season Falken Ziex 512's on my 18's i just put on they are a great tire too and seem to wearing great so far.

Other brands some will recommend are:
Toyo
Nitto
Goodyear
Old 05-08-2007 | 09:03 AM
Racer

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....g=V&minLoad=XL

close out price: $139 each

Next best option: Goodyear Eagle ResponsEdge
Old 05-08-2007 | 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Pole Positions FTW. Just got 'em and so far I like them.
Old 05-08-2007 | 01:14 PM
> 100K Mile Club Member

Steer clear of the Avons. More and more negative feedback is coming in on these tires with age. I am about to replace my Tech 550s after 30K miles. I will be getting Yoko V4Ss, like I should have last time.
Old 05-08-2007 | 01:38 PM
Instructor

Yokohama V4S. Get a quote from tirerack.com and go to a local tire place and ask them to beat their price. American Tire did that for me.

MBA
Old 05-08-2007 | 02:32 PM
Instructor

I'll second the vote on the Pole Positions (Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position). There a good bit cheaper than the OEM tires, but still not cheap. However, they do get the highest ratings on TireRack for all-season tires.
Old 05-08-2007 | 03:33 PM
Mic up, Cue, Dissolve 1..

Thumbs up

I replaced the stock tires with KUMHO ECSTA ASX High performance all-season tires. I Love them compared to the stock ones and they are only 90.00 on tirerack. Great traction and if you look at the ratings they have almost double the ratings the stock pilots have.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+ASX
Old 05-08-2007 | 03:38 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

Originally Posted by relik2004
I replaced the stock tires with KUMHO ECSTA ASX High performance all-season tires. I Love them compared to the stock ones and they are only 90.00 on tirerack. Great traction and if you look at the ratings they have almost double the ratings the stock pilots have.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=ECSTA+ASX
You shouldn't even try to compare ANY tires against stock OEM tires, cause they just sucks. Period. Anyone know if the Bridgestone RE750 Summer Performance Tires anygood??? Looking forward to buy them when my new rims arrive.
Old 05-08-2007 | 03:42 PM

I really didn't think the OEM tires were that bad... Did you guys? The only downside was they were like 180 a piece and I didn't want to pay that when I saw these tires had better ratings and at 1/2 the price.
Old 05-08-2007 | 04:57 PM
T.DoT P.I.M.P. lol

I really didn't think the OEM tires were that bad... Did you guys? The only downside was they were like 180 a piece and I didn't want to pay that when I saw these tires had better ratings and at 1/2 the price.
They spin and can't grip in dry when it's hot out there, and they spin and can't grip in wet cause their traction sucks. Don't ever use it in Winter, terrible. I wonder why they call All-Season cause it can't be use in any season.

FYI: I drive aggressively sometimes so that's why I think it sucks. They do ok in normal driving, but they are still noiser than my Winter tires...
Old 05-08-2007 | 08:52 PM
STi'd

OEm tires are one of the worst.

<---BFG KDW2 here.
Old 05-08-2007 | 09:40 PM
Pro

I love my Michelin Pilot Exaltos so far. Only had them a few days though. Takes 500 miles to break them in and I'm at 200, so far utter smooth. I would say its provides more of a smooth, quiet ride than a sporty ride.

If I was to buy a sport tire I probably would go for say a Yokohama Advan S but that costs a lot.

I would steer clear of Falken tires. The handling is great but god do they ever wear out fast, I had the 512s and ST-115. You get what you pay for so I suggest buy the best now and something with decent tread wear.
Old 05-09-2007 | 12:30 AM
Pro

how much do you guys expect to get out of the stock tires? mine are still new but i just wanna know when i should look into new tires..
Old 05-09-2007 | 07:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tsx6363
how much do you guys expect to get out of the stock tires? mine are still new but i just wanna know when i should look into new tires..
Mine were done for at only 28k. The wear bars weren't showing yet, but they were slipping all over the place, especially when it rained - it was just getting dangerous. Starting from a stop was especially bad....the tires just slipped constantly. For $200 each, you'd think they would be much better. I paid $148 each for the Pole Positions and so far they are much better tires.
Old 05-09-2007 | 05:04 PM
Cruisin'

Does anyone know what tires are available for 235/40-18 for summer tires? It seems like a lot of tires dont come in this size.
Old 05-09-2007 | 06:03 PM

Arrow

Originally Posted by chuson
They spin and can't grip in dry when it's hot out there, and they spin and can't grip in wet cause their traction sucks. Don't ever use it in Winter, terrible. I wonder why they call All-Season cause it can't be use in any season.

FYI: I drive aggressively sometimes so that's why I think it sucks. They do ok in normal driving, but they are still noiser than my Winter tires...
I drive more than aggressive and I didn't notice a problem. I go WOT 40% of the time I’m driving. I always start with the pedal down or take turns at like 50-60mph. I have noticed a difference with the new tires though. I guess it was very subtle and I didn’t notice the bad things.
Old 05-09-2007 | 06:05 PM

I had to change mine at about 32-35k They were very close to being bald.
Old 05-09-2007 | 10:14 PM
Intermediate

Another vote for the Bridgestone RE960's. I just replaced my stockers with 235/45/17's and what a difference. So much quieter and smoother. I never have understood why people buy a $30k car and then cheap out on the tires...doesnt make much sense to me. Just my
Old 05-09-2007 | 10:28 PM
Advanced

yokohama yk520's have been a great tire for me. I didnt care for the 420's but the 520's have good ratings discount tire. goodyear tripletread are an 80k tire H rated if you want to go the distance.
Old 05-09-2007 | 11:29 PM
jdm whore

goodyear eagle gs-d3's!!
i have these on my sti and absolutley love them.. they are top notch in the rain/wet.. which is a huge plus to me.. they are quite which is another big plus..
Old 05-10-2007 | 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by 04AcuraTSX
Another vote for the Bridgestone RE960's. I just replaced my stockers with 235/45/17's and what a difference. So much quieter and smoother. I never have understood why people buy a $30k car and then cheap out on the tires...doesnt make much sense to me. Just my
It is not always the price that matters. The stock pilots are around 180.00 and are worse that the Kumhos I bought for 90.00. I matched up reviews and test.
Old 05-10-2007 | 12:47 PM
Instructor

I have 46K miles and mine are still doing fine. I expect another 10K+ out of them. Don't know why everyone is getting much less except that some people do drive ....ahem.... a tad fast, and these OEM tires are definitely not for racing, though I have never felt they were deficient in rain or snow. Of course I drove an RX-7 for many years and with the high performance tires I had on it (which had to be replaced every 25K miles) I'm thinking that in comparison these tires, on this car, are pretty good.
Old 05-11-2007 | 08:32 PM
Intermediate

It is not always the price that matters. The stock pilots are around 180.00 and are worse that the Kumhos I bought for 90.00. I matched up reviews and test.
you are quite correct sir
Old 05-11-2007 | 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RGlesing
I have 46K miles and mine are still doing fine. I expect another 10K+ out of them. Don't know why everyone is getting much less except that some people do drive ....ahem.... a tad fast, and these OEM tires are definitely not for racing, though I have never felt they were deficient in rain or snow. Of course I drove an RX-7 for many years and with the high performance tires I had on it (which had to be replaced every 25K miles) I'm thinking that in comparison these tires, on this car, are pretty good.
Not me, I drive normally. The tires just sucked pretty bad the last few thousand miles I had them, to the point where I was afraid to drive in the rain.
Old 05-11-2007 | 10:38 PM
Driver/Detailer

I like Yokohama C.Drives. But you don't get them in the states. They are the replacement for the old A539s.
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:18 PM
Advanced

I got some Kumho ECSTA ASXs as well for my TSX and after driving around 50 km on them so far, they are starting to break in. The steering is still a big vague but so far I've taken right angle corners at like 50 km/h and absolutely no squeal or sliding. Amazing traction like everyone on Tire Rack has said.

Only thing is that they get flatspotted every night and takes a few minutes to go away. Also they are not really that quiet, at least relative to the Michelin Harmony I had on my old 2000 Accord. I guess these are performance all-seasons after all.
Old 05-11-2007 | 11:51 PM
Racer

I just recently -200 miles ago- put on Nitto NeoGen 225/45/17 along with some gray 17's and like the handling of them. They had great reviews on Discount Tire Direct and figured that worst case, I have my stock rim/tires in the garage to swap on if they aren't wet weather tires.
Old 05-12-2007 | 09:54 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by whitson01
goodyear eagle gs-d3's!!
i have these on my sti and absolutley love them.. they are top notch in the rain/wet.. which is a huge plus to me.. they are quite which is another big plus..
Old 05-13-2007 | 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by enzojr
I got some Kumho ECSTA ASXs as well for my TSX and after driving around 50 km on them so far, they are starting to break in. The steering is still a big vague but so far I've taken right angle corners at like 50 km/h and absolutely no squeal or sliding. Amazing traction like everyone on Tire Rack has said.

Only thing is that they get flatspotted every night and takes a few minutes to go away. Also they are not really that quiet, at least relative to the Michelin Harmony I had on my old 2000 Accord. I guess these are performance all-seasons after all.
How can a performance tire be very quiet anyway. I am very happy with them and I think they are about the same with road noise but way better with traction.
Old 05-14-2007 | 03:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Not me, I drive normally. The tires just sucked pretty bad the last few thousand miles I had them, to the point where I was afraid to drive in the rain.
That has been my experience with any performance oriented tires. That last few thousand miles you have to drive carefully. Then you get to go out and spring for the cost of new tires when you just can't stand it anymore. I have a company car for my everyday driving, so I sometimes go for weeks without driving in the rain (or snow in winter) so when I get to that "iffy" point with old tires I find that I may be able to really stretch them out for months before I decide they absolutely must be changed.
Old 05-14-2007 | 08:10 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by easiegel
Hello,

I need help from people who really know tires. I am well aware that tires are the lifeblood of a car and how important they are but I do not want to spend a fortune replacing tires considering I have basic needs. I need to replace my original 04 tsx tires as I am just getting 41k out of them and the tread is very thin. I need suggestions for all around touring tires that are going to get me maximum mileage and perform well. I'm looking to get 50k out of my next pair. I was looking at the Michelin Pilot MXM4 215/50R17, but it seems rather expensive at $210 per tire. Where I live (DC) we never get snow, so I don't care about that. I do not drive agressively, or gun it then slam on the brakes, so I do not need a tire that would be responsible to those conditions. My driving is mostly highway.

Thanks
Evan
I was in the same boat and coming off a pair of Kumho ASX's with wearbars showing.

I purchased the Yoko 520's from Discount Tire for around $674 after taxes and enviro fees for a set of 4.

I've had them for 4 days so far and I like them so much better than the Kumho's.
Old 05-14-2007 | 08:13 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by darcheeseTSX04
yokohama yk520's have been a great tire for me. I didnt care for the 420's but the 520's have good ratings discount tire. goodyear tripletread are an 80k tire H rated if you want to go the distance.
I agree. So far I love my yk520s.
Old 05-14-2007 | 08:15 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by RGlesing
I had avout 43K on my first factory set and since around 37K they just died a sudden death. Lots of slippage on accellerations, and not even flooed accellerations.

Tire wear is going to vary by where you live just as much as how you drive. Some of our roads here in Cali are rough or full of expansion joints.
Old 05-14-2007 | 08:16 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by enzojr

That was one thing I noticed as I changed to the Yokos. My steering is so much tighter and the car performs so much better. Even when new the Kumhos didn't respond this good.

The flatspotting also drove me nutty. Every morning for 10 minutes it was thump n vibrate until the tires warmed up.
Old 05-14-2007 | 09:01 PM

I was just reading the reviews on the YK520s and I think they will be my next tire. I really hate road noise and I think those look great for the job. I really don't like the soft sidewall on the Kumhos because I already had to repplace 2 tires for pot holes...
Old 05-14-2007 | 09:10 PM
TSX Addict

Originally Posted by Stevestr
The flatspotting also drove me nutty. Every morning for 10 minutes it was thump n vibrate until the tires warmed up.
Good majority of the maximum performance tires have the same problem. So it's considered normal.

I guess as long the vibration doesn't make the wheels fall out...
Old 05-14-2007 | 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Power1Pete
Good majority of the maximum performance tires have the same problem. So it's considered normal.

I guess as long the vibration doesn't make the wheels fall out...
I really have not noticed this problem with my kumhos. Maybe I am not listening hard enough. When exactly does it happen and what does it sound like ?
Old 05-15-2007 | 12:58 PM
Advanced

Mine doesn't have thumping...but you do feel some recurring "lumps" through the steering wheel. For me personally though, it's not enough to drive me up the wall...I drive gently when warming up my motor/drivetrain and there's enough bumps and cracks in the roads near where I live to make the "lumps" virtually noticeable.
Old 05-22-2007 | 02:12 PM
Intermediate

I have been reading these post annd there is so much good insight onto what tires one would actually choose to spend money on. Thanks guys! One question....I went to tirerack.com like someone here had suggested and it looked like the Bridgestone Pole Position was the best tire out there. It was tested with almost perfect ratings all around....I havent heard anyone comment on these and they are good, and relatively cheap tires. Can anyone give me some insight on this? Im from So Cal so I wont be driving too much in the rain, I am going more for grip and handling than anything else. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Need tire recommendations from all you TSX owners out there