Need some advice for install options!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice for install options!

Hey guys,

Here is my situation, i am going to be ordering the Tein Basics after my next pay check (next friday ) and i have been looking into installation prices in my area (Philadelphia) and they seem to be ridiculously high! MrHeeltoe quotes installation around $150 for the tein basics, and $45 for the comptech rear sway bar and the cheapest quote i have gotten is $340 and the guy telling me "thats if we don't run into any problems." I just got a quote today from a guy saying "your tires aren't wide enough for coilovers, but it would be like at least $550." -> Is this guy smoking crack or am i missing something?

So my question i guess is, do i just go with the $340 since i am comfortable with who will be doing the installation, or pay an extra $100 to MrHeelToe for a spare set of parts that come from the stock stuff and make the full housing a complete replacement and attempt this myself (so i don't need a spring compressor)? I am knowledgable for the most part, but i am lacking tools! I would mostly likely do the CRSB myself, but at $340, what is another $50 to have them throw it on?

Also, is there anyone that lives in the area that has done this before that might be able to give me some insight, or possibly even help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:22 PM
無限 本田 CL9

the $550 guy is definitely smoking crack

installation for coilovers should be a 2 hr job.. i got mine installed for a good deal.. i say shop around a lil more... good luck!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:40 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,575 Posts
well if you are willing to drive to a place in harrisburg, pa my buddy works at the shop and they did mine for like 200 atmost but I dont remember the price. the place is called creative car tunes.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Or you can just learn how to do it yourself
Old 09-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, go to CCC's friend. But don't pay those ridiculous prices. Are you far from the DC boys? Aren't they having an install meet soon?
Old 09-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,575 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsx536
Yeah, go to CCC's friend. But don't pay those ridiculous prices. Are you far from the DC boys? Aren't they having an install meet soon?
he is getting tein basics and doing an install at an install meet that requires a spring compressor is a biatch.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Got Phó?

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
he is getting tein basics and doing an install at an install meet that requires a spring compressor is a biatch.
Yeah, you need the good kind of spring compressor. When i first install my springs, ohh boy...i know now not to buy cheap spring compressor. The whole spring compressor bent! It was freaking me out, so i went out to buy new exspensive ones.
First time took me almost 11hours to do all four plus SPC camber kit. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
Yeah, you need the good kind of spring compressor. When i first install my springs, ohh boy...i know now not to buy cheap spring compressor. The whole spring compressor bent! It was freaking me out, so i went out to buy new exspensive ones.
First time took me almost 11hours to do all four plus SPC camber kit. Good luck!
holy crap.....def not going to do that....i am about 3.5 hrs from DC, i was thinking about going to that but i am getting knee surgery tomorrow actually, and will be out of commision for a little bit, which means no install soon but i just wanted to get a feel of what it would be like if i were to do it myself! And obviously i don't think i'll be trying it myself....going to drop off the instructions at a place tomm so he can look at them and give me a quote (prob not the best idea since he never heard of them, but he did all my dad's work before....good guy) and hopefully that will turn up!

evo_to_tsx- thanks man, yea he was actually smoking something, maybe he had a little sumtin sumtin in there...

TSX536- yea i am def thinking about that!

CCC- can you PM me some more info on your guy in harrisburg, i'm like 2.5 hrs from there and even with gas money still might come out on the positive side!

When is that meet anyway, was a date decided on yet?.....last i checked they weren't sure..
Old 09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

the craftsman forged ones are money, no bending at all
Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

if we can get some knowledgable people at the DC install meet, we can do the spring compressor fairly quickly. I know TSX.Fury and I did his spring install in about 1.5hrs from start to finish. w/ more hands doing the assmebly disassembly on the car it could be fast.

*edit* although 3.5hrs probably isn't worth it, and if there's a problem you're SOL on the way home
Old 09-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by xizor
if we can get some knowledgable people at the DC install meet, we can do the spring compressor fairly quickly. I know TSX.Fury and I did his spring install in about 1.5hrs from start to finish. w/ more hands doing the assmebly disassembly on the car it could be fast.

*edit* although 3.5hrs probably isn't worth it, and if there's a problem you're SOL on the way home
hey guys sorry i was MIA but i was recovery from my knee surgery.....and after that was said and done and i am looking at how long i will be in rehab, i am def going to have to pay for the install. So i am waiting to hear from my last guy to get a price and i just really hope it is less than the others. Has there been any more info on that DC meet though?.....i still might like to go and meet some of you guys!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
hey guys sorry i was MIA but i was recovery from my knee surgery.....and after that was said and done and i am looking at how long i will be in rehab, i am def going to have to pay for the install. So i am waiting to hear from my last guy to get a price and i just really hope it is less than the others. Has there been any more info on that DC meet though?.....i still might like to go and meet some of you guys!
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=meet
Old 09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, i posted a reply!

However, i just talked to the guys who did my lower springs and they are coming up with 8 hrs of labor for a grand total of like $480, at least he said! So i have no gotten estimates for installing the Tein Basics at over $500, at least $500, $340, and $350 whereas HeelToe quotes something like $150. Is this the people i am asking, or is it just the Northeast, cause i don't think think it should be that high! And i didn't even ask them what it would cost to throw the Comptech rear sway in either, at those prices i'll do that myself.

Any further suggestions?.....anyone else in the NE know of any shops, PA or Jersey, or even DE??????
Old 09-14-2006, 12:10 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you heard of angie's list? if they have a strong membership in your area, you might try there.

http://www.angieslist.com/AngiesList/
Old 09-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Got Phó?

Keep trying to find a good place to do it for less $. If you want to do it yourself, its not that hard if you have an some extra hands.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Keep trying to find a good place to do it for less $. If you want to do it yourself, its not that hard if you have an some extra hands.
Yea i am working on it, i found 2 other places that i am going to call and see what they give me. they are a little farther away from me, but i found there names on Tein's dealer list so i am thinking they might be a little cheaper.....hopefully!

I would do it myself, but i really need a good spring compressor and i don't what to buy one. I heard you can rent them, but not sure how i feel about that

San-AnT - I have never heard of that, what is it? Is it like Craig's List?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:16 PM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope - people review services in the area, everything from washer repair to auto repair to painting your house. i used it to find a good mechanic to put my header on who was reliable and reasonable. go to the link and read up on it. it is very, very popular in the NE
Old 09-14-2006, 06:33 PM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
^ the header would be a nice complement to your cai. also, if you're running a HiFi sound system then the pulleys probably wouldn't do you too much good.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Made my last 2 calls of the places around me, and got one company saying they don't install them, and finally got another place telling me right around $300, and $50 to throw the rear sway bar on! The one shop tried to convince me out of buying the tein basics because he thought they were way to stiff and his blew out on him after 5k. Is this something i should worry about with the tein basics, or just it sound like an isolated issue with his set of coilovers? Is this ride really going to be that rough compared to stock, or the ride i have now with the stock stuff and the pro kit?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by jwood_04TSX
Made my last 2 calls of the places around me, and got one company saying they don't install them, and finally got another place telling me right around $300, and $50 to throw the rear sway bar on! The one shop tried to convince me out of buying the tein basics because he thought they were way to stiff and his blew out on him after 5k. Is this something i should worry about with the tein basics, or just it sound like an isolated issue with his set of coilovers? Is this ride really going to be that rough compared to stock, or the ride i have now with the stock stuff and the pro kit?
Install should range from 2.5-4 hours depending on capability. The TEIN Basics are firmer than stock, but not stiff or jarring. You have no need to worry. I have yet to even have a system sent back in for rebuilding with cars that have tens of thousands of miles on the setup.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Install should range from 2.5-4 hours depending on capability. The TEIN Basics are firmer than stock, but not stiff or jarring. You have no need to worry. I have yet to even have a system sent back in for rebuilding with cars that have tens of thousands of miles on the setup.
Great!....Thanks for all the responses guys, i gonna go with Tein baics on my next pay day