Koni shocks, Stock springs. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Disinformation Terminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni shocks, Stock springs. Anyone?

Anyone have this setup? After driving my '05 for 800 miles, the rear end has a little too much body roll (built in understeer for the masses), and the front end feels underdamped.

Comptech rear sway bar and Koni's all around with the stock springs is what I think I'm after. Anyone running this setup or close to it?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Delta Sigma Pi

I have Koni Shocks with Tein Luxury Masters (lowers 1.2FR and 0.7RR) and Progress Sway Bar. Almost perfect handling but there is still some understeer. It is all controllable though. If you drive your car hard you should def. get the swaybar first hold off on the Konis if you dont plan to lower your car.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreytchui
I have Koni Shocks with Tein Luxury Masters (lowers 1.2FR and 0.7RR) and Progress Sway Bar. Almost perfect handling but there is still some understeer. It is all controllable though. If you drive your car hard you should def. get the swaybar first hold off on the Konis if you dont plan to lower your car.
Do you have any pics? How is the ride compared to stock?
Old 07-17-2005, 02:51 AM
Racer

i had the prokits on my stock shocks and after 5k miles, all 4 of my struts were blown (pretty bad roads). But after i put the koni yellows in, the ride became alot better. And the goog about koni's is they have a adjustable perch to higher or lowere your, but it would be a bitch to change it whwnever you want.

Actually IMO, a suspension kit is the best mod for increased handling. The rear sway bar is a must also because its not too expensive. A buddy of mine got the rear sway before any suspension mods on his tsx, and he said he couldnt really tell any difference.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Hondaholic

I know of only one owner who was running Koni's with stock springs, and he was very complimentary of the setup. Big improvement of stock handling but still extremely comfortable. That particular guy has tried many combos, and not liked too many of them.......

The Neuspeed version of the Koni, which I usually recommend to people because it has a couple of nice improvements of the standard Koni yellow, would NOT be the one to go with if you are going to use the stock springs, because the changes are designed for better compatibility with shorter springs.....
Old 07-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Hondaholic

Oh yeah, one of the reasons that the Koni's work so well with the stock springs is that the are primarily valved for use with linear ate springs. Koni tech told me that you can use them with a progressive rate spring, but as the spring compresses and the rate of the spring changes, the damping is not always 100% spot-on.

For a slight reduction in ride height, the Comptech 110-155, which is actually a TL spring, is a nice choice because it is almost completely linear; more so than other aftermarket springs I've seen for the TSX....
Old 07-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Delta Sigma Pi

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Do you have any pics? How is the ride compared to stock?
I have pics https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23697 . Compared to stock it is almost the same when set to the softest setting. When on the stiffist the car is firmr feels like a S2K minus the RW Drive .
Old 07-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Delta Sigma Pi

Originally Posted by Triz08
i had the prokits on my stock shocks and after 5k miles, all 4 of my struts were blown (pretty bad roads). But after i put the koni yellows in, the ride became alot better. And the goog about koni's is they have a adjustable perch to higher or lowere your, but it would be a bitch to change it whwnever you want.

Actually IMO, a suspension kit is the best mod for increased handling. The rear sway bar is a must also because its not too expensive. A buddy of mine got the rear sway before any suspension mods on his tsx, and he said he couldnt really tell any difference.
Are you sure your buddy didnt install it upside down or forgot to tighten the bolts. J/K IMO When I installed the Swaybar before I lowered the car it was like night and day. My car finished puberty on that fateful day...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Delta Sigma Pi

Originally Posted by LannyM
Oh yeah, one of the reasons that the Koni's work so well with the stock springs is that the are primarily valved for use with linear ate springs. Koni tech told me that you can use them with a progressive rate spring, but as the spring compresses and the rate of the spring changes, the damping is not always 100% spot-on.

For a slight reduction in ride height, the Comptech 110-155, which is actually a TL spring, is a nice choice because it is almost completely linear; more so than other aftermarket springs I've seen for the TSX....
Bbut a linear setup would make the front end slightly higher than the rear thus creating drag? ? ?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Hondaholic

Originally Posted by jeffreytchui
Bbut a linear setup would make the front end slightly higher than the rear thus creating drag? ? ?
Linear refers to the way the spring is wound, not the drop.

That being said, the 110-155 spring is listed as a 1" drop f & r for the TL, but it does appear to give a little more in the front than the rear, and I'd swear it's more than a 1" drop anyway. And you can always compensate with the Koni lower perch.

Your Teins are more than likely linear rate springs as well.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

How much are you guys getting koni's for?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by loxllxol
I have brand new boxed Neuspeed Koni's. Interested? Check your PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got mine for $569.00 from ASW88 on eBay.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheMirror
Anyone have this setup? After driving my '05 for 800 miles, the rear end has a little too much body roll (built in understeer for the masses), and the front end feels underdamped.

Comptech rear sway bar and Koni's all around with the stock springs is what I think I'm after. Anyone running this setup or close to it?
I am who Lanny is referring to. I had the Konis with stock springs while waiting for my Eibach springs. Good thing I did. The stock springs with the right damping felt fantastic. The linear rate works well with the Konis. However with the Koni spring perch lowered a notch(lowest) the car still looked like a SUV. So I got a variety of springs and dampers to experiment. If you don't mind the ride height, it has a lot going for it. Like the full suspension travel to absorb a bump, long travel to maintain traction powering out of corners, ride comfort like or better than stock, and its free.

Understeer will be countered by the Comptech SB and has better effect on stock springs. ANd get good tires.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by al8818
I am who Lanny is referring to. I had the Konis with stock springs while waiting for my Eibach springs. Good thing I did. The stock springs with the right damping felt fantastic. The linear rate works well with the Konis. However with the Koni spring perch lowered a notch(lowest) the car still looked like a SUV. So I got a variety of springs and dampers to experiment. If you don't mind the ride height, it has a lot going for it. Like the full suspension travel to absorb a bump, long travel to maintain traction powering out of corners, ride comfort like or better than stock, and its free.

Understeer will be countered by the Comptech SB and has better effect on stock springs. ANd get good tires.
That sounds like what I'm looking for. The stock front setup feels somewhat underdamped in aggressive driving, especially under braking and on bad roads. This is a straight up street car and I don't want to give up any ground clearance. The Koni addition with the stock springs doesn't actually raise the front end at all, does it? Every now and then shock upgrades on cars will do that. Not common, but I've seen it before. Probably due to worn shocks coming out of the car in the first place.

Great info, thanks!
-Mirror
Old 07-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Hondaholic

The Koni strut has grooves to set the lower spring perch, so you can simply choose the stock height grooves to mount the perch.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Drives With Hands

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by caz1604
I got mine for $569.00 from ASW88 on eBay.
Hey, me too!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by LannyM
The Koni strut has grooves to set the lower spring perch, so you can simply choose the stock height grooves to mount the perch.
Yes, excellent. Makes it easy.
Thanks,

-Mirror
Old 07-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Delta Sigma Pi

Old 08-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

But the car came with rear sway bar already. Is not thick enough?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:54 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Originally Posted by free2d
But the car came with rear sway bar already. Is not thick enough?
not *wide* enough