Hub ring issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hub ring issue

I've recently installed a set of G-Games 77S on my car and am very pleased with how they look. However, the ride is not as smooth as the OEM wheels. It feels like they are very slightly out of balance. I removed them and retorqued the lugs properly (seems the installer was a gorilla). While I had them off I checked to see that the hub rings were properly installed. All were, and all but one seemed to have a nice snug fit. The driver's side front could be moved slightly relative to the hub, which led me to conclude that it could be the source of my problems. Discount Tire Direct is sending me a new set (good folks to deal with), and I'll see if that solves it. If not, I'll have to get them rebalanced.

Have any of you experienced similar problems with centering rings? It seems odd that one would be ever so slightly larger than the others. Have any of you had problems with G-Games wheels? I didn't notice it driving around the crappy roads in Charleston, but when I did some traveling this past weekend. It was most noticeable between 70 and 80. It went away by 90 .
Old 08-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

could be an alignment issue, or you just having to get used to performance (?) tires which are wider and stiffer.
Old 08-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Tires are the OEMs , so that's not it. I've had after market wheels before and sometimes the installers can't seem to deal with stick-on balancing weights. By now they should be common enough that it's not an issue. I certainly hope that's the case. The last time (late 80's) was a real pain.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Sittin' on chrome

Ive had a similar problem. I just got a pair of 19 inch axis hagens in chrome, and its not really a wheel shaking or vibration problem for me. The alinement is off and it veers to the right. Ive talked to people with 18's 19's and 20's and they said they didnt need to have theirs realinened. And i went to a shop and they said they couldnt do it b/c their machiene didnt go as high as 19's and it wasnt capable to do it. Also the shaking on and aftermarket rim is expected unless the rim is hubcentric. Meaning the rim is basically made for your car, fit, weight, balance. Most of the aftermarket rims are just a generic fit, if you want a rim that is "problem free" choose a hubcentric rim such as the RonJon rims. THey are specifically made for Acuras.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:55 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by JuMpoFF
Ive had a similar problem. I just got a pair of 19 inch axis hagens in chrome, and its not really a wheel shaking or vibration problem for me. The alinement is off and it veers to the right. Ive talked to people with 18's 19's and 20's and they said they didnt need to have theirs realinened. And i went to a shop and they said they couldnt do it b/c their machiene didnt go as high as 19's and it wasnt capable to do it. Also the shaking on and aftermarket rim is expected unless the rim is hubcentric. Meaning the rim is basically made for your car, fit, weight, balance. Most of the aftermarket rims are just a generic fit, if you want a rim that is "problem free" choose a hubcentric rim such as the RonJon rims. THey are specifically made for Acuras.
hub rings should solve the hubcentric problem without a doubt. I think having wider tires just exacerbates any already existing alignment issues. My tires don't cause shaking, but do increase road feedback and can pull when braking if they get caught on something.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:09 AM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by xizor
hub rings should solve the hubcentric problem without a doubt. I think having wider tires just exacerbates any already existing alignment issues. My tires don't cause shaking, but do increase road feedback and can pull when braking if they get caught on something.

Never attended college and completely off subject, but what does exacerbate mean? That will be my word of the day!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:14 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by cmf
Never attended college and completely off subject, but what does exacerbate mean? That will be my word of the day!
Just type a word in google and it links to Dictionary .com

To increase the severity, violence, or bitterness of; aggravate:
Old 08-28-2004, 10:18 AM
cmf
ATCer

Originally Posted by xizor
Just type a word in google and it links to Dictionary .com

Cool, learned something today. I will be educated someday!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:26 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by JuMpoFF
Whats up kid, its rondy from nathans. yeah, the Hub can be a bitch, but with the right set of wheels, vibrations won't be a problem. I used to have nice wheels, but couldn't go over 80mph without massive vibration, sucked. but now I can go 130mph on 19" wheels with a ride as smooth as glass. So now I can have my car look good ands ride just as well, no sacrifice. Now I only have vibration when I slow down, damn rotors.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:16 PM
Registered AssHat

Originally Posted by cmf
Exacerbate is an SATverbal word as well. One of the few I still remember.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rondog
...Now I only have vibration when I slow down, damn rotors.
I had that to a small degree. It's often caused by overtightening the lug nuts - common with lazy installers . It can be avoided by always loosening the lugs (with weight removed from the wheel, of course) and retorqing to proper specs - usually 75-80 ft. lbs. The longer you go without doing that, the worse the warpage. I did mine fairly quickly and the problem seems to be resolving itself.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Instructor

Oh yeah, since I retorqued the wheels the vibration seems to have lessened as well. Hmmm...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 PM
Instructor

all 4 hub rings should be the same size and there should be no play between the hub and the rim. Hub rings make a world of difference when you have custom rims. Also don't forget about tire rotation. (meaning the spin direction of each tire) Some tires can only be mounted in one direction and if you put them on backwards you will feel a shimmy when you drive.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:04 PM
Jewdacris!!

Well i have those rims in 18 in and havent had a problem with vibrations or anything of the sort. The hubrings are a pain when you take the wheels off and put it on but the ride is nice 99% of the time.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Instructor

UPDATE:

I have since received the replacements and ended up using 3 of the 4 new rings. After removing the wheels and replacing the rings I retorqued the lugs to spec. The problem seems to be solved. My shudder under braking seems to be much reduced as well.

I'm glad it was this simple, but I am concerned about the variance in hub-ring size. To anyone who is experiencing the problem of wheel imbalance just after installing new aftermarket rims, check the rings for a close fit before you have your wheels rebalanced. Don't be shy about requesting a new set of rings from the vendor who sold you the wheels. And always - ALWAYS - make sure that your lug nuts are tightened properly. They should be torqued to somewhere around 70-80 ft. lbs. I used to be in the habit of retorquing the lugs on all of my cars whenever a wheel was removed for service. I'm going to get back into that habit now.