Front brakes for the rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 03:55 PM
YBA
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brakes for the rear wheels

Gotta question... Would the braking distance be lowered if I was to install a set of front brakes on the rear wheels (replacing the small rear brakes)?

Does anyone know if it is possible at all to install some front in the back?

One of the reason I am asking this is that there may be people in the near future upgrading their braking system and looking to get rid of their front sets....

Just a thought...
Old 10-26-2003, 04:19 PM
Registered AssHat

Re: Front brakes for the rear wheels

Originally posted by lgregoir
Gotta question... Would the braking distance be lowered if I was to install a set of front brakes on the rear wheels (replacing the small rear brakes)?

Does anyone know if it is possible at all to install some front in the back?

One of the reason I am asking this is that there may be people in the near future upgrading their braking system and looking to get rid of their front sets....

Just a thought...
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't recommend it. If there are bigger brakes on the rear of the car, it will have a tendency to rotate under braking. I would try to keep the same proportion of size front to back to prevent that.

If you want better braking...your best bet is "performance" pads and better tires.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Re: Front brakes for the rear wheels

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
I'm no expert, but I wouldn't recommend it. If there are bigger brakes on the rear of the car, it will have a tendency to rotate under braking. I would try to keep the same proportion of size front to back to prevent that.

If you want better braking...your best bet is "performance" pads and better tires.
Agree. Unless you have a brake bias valve that will allow you to adjust front and rear brake power I would always go with smaller brakes in the rear.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

The biggest mistake you can do is have your rears lock up before your front and if all else is the same, this will happen if you try to do this. So you need a brake bias adjustment to compensate for this as stated above.