Different tire on one wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different tire on one wheel?

Went to dealer for oil change on my 07 NBP TSX, mentioned I had a nail in a tire and to take a look. Normally, thats not something for a dealer to do, but this particular one has all top of the line Hunter road force balancing and alignment equipment, so I trust them for this sort of work.

Of course, I get told the nail's in a bad spot and the tire has to be replaced. He says hes got the Michelin Pilot OEMs in stock. "OK, do it" I say. 20 minutes later, with the job already done of course...whoops...service rep comes to tell me he didnt have the Pilots in stock, so he put on the new Michelin Primacy tire.

Having a different tire on just one wheel is something for a 72 Chevy shitbox, not a new Acura, so Im pretty torqued about that. Even MORE torqued at the half-assed communication the service rep provided, especially considering I was in the waiting room, and the $40 charge to change one tire.

First, Im assuming Im stuck and have to keep the one tire, as a tire isnt something you can just bring back for a refund. Is that true, or do I have any recourse with the dealer?

And again assuming Im stuck with this one different tire, from a driveability perspective, would this be an issue? Not only is it a new tire and the other three have 35K on them, the tread pattern and even rolling resistance is different with the new tire. The other three tires would have to go in about 10K miles, so Id be stuck like this for about another 8 months or so, but who wants to drive a car with compromised handling, even for a day?

Last edited by RkFast; 12-02-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:18 AM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This sounds like a matter of customer care and satisfaction. I'd tell them you're not satisfied with their performance. They should do something out of customer-respect if they want you to continue your patronage. Lots of people would rather go to independent shops for that sort of work.

I'd think Acura HQ would not like to hear about this sort of situation and may lend a hand if the dealership isn't willing to do (within reason) what will satisfy you. I think a good deal on two tires (since the other is worn significantly) is reasonable.

For the drive-ability perspective, I wouldn't replace a single tire unless the others (or at least the one on the same axle) is close to the same tread-life. To me, tires should really be replaced in pairs.

I never did like that '72 Chevy Shitbox
Old 12-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Yeah, thats what I figured. Im waiting for the dealer sales rep to do the follow up call to discuss. Should be today.

FWIW, my first car...72 Chevy Impala. Rotted out quarters and a 350 that only ran on 6 cylinders but built so tough I'd drive it to Mars if I had to. I miss that car..lol.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RkFast
Went to dealer for oil change on my 07 NBP TSX, mentioned I had a nail in a tire and to take a look. Normally, thats not something for a dealer to do, but this particular one has all top of the line Hunter road force balancing and alignment equipment, so I trust them for this sort of work.

Of course, I get told the nail's in a bad spot and the tire has to be replaced. He says hes got the Michelin Pilot OEMs in stock. "OK, do it" I say. 20 minutes later, with the job already done of course...whoops...service rep comes to tell me he didnt have the Pilots in stock, so he put on the new Michelin Primacy tire.

Having a different tire on just one wheel is something for a 72 Chevy shitbox, not a new Acura, so Im pretty torqued about that. Even MORE torqued at the half-assed communication the service rep provided, especially considering I was in the waiting room, and the $40 charge to change one tire.

First, Im assuming Im stuck and have to keep the one tire, as a tire isnt something you can just bring back for a refund. Is that true, or do I have any recourse with the dealer?

And again assuming Im stuck with this one different tire, from a driveability perspective, would this be an issue? Not only is it a new tire and the other three have 35K on them, the tread pattern and even rolling resistance is different with the new tire. The other three tires would have to go in about 10K miles, so Id be stuck like this for about another 8 months or so, but who wants to drive a car with compromised handling, even for a day?
Ya, tough spot. The dealer definitely screwed up on this one. But..... it may be water under the bridge. I'd say the only practical way to recover may be to buy 3 more tires. But...... I'd buy them and have them installed somewhere else (I'd go through Tire Rack, but that's just me)
Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Im thinking the dealer could either give me a credit on the $40 effing dollars they charged me to change ONE TIRE or maybe some kind of a break for the other three Im going to have to buy soon. Some kind of 'make good' would be fine.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Alright, spoke to service rep and they took care of me. Got money off next service and alignment if I get new tires from them.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RkFast
Alright, spoke to service rep and they took care of me. Got money off next service and alignment if I get new tires from them.
Sounds like a good resolution. This might be a good example of "buyer beware" though. It does seem like kind of shoddy behavior by the dealer's service dept. Oh well.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Well, buyer beware on tires from a dealer, to be sure. I know theres a premium when you buy stuff from a dealer, but tires, at this dealer anyway, are about $50 more than retail anywhere else and installation is $40 PER WHEEL.

Thats not a "dealer premium"...thats robbery.