Deliverance

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 01:35 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deliverance

I know we've discussed this here many times before, but it really is annoyingly easy to make the stock tires squeal like a pig. I simply can't understand why Acura doesn't offer some kind of optional upgrade to the tires. Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and BMW all offer aggressive tire options. For those of us who live in warm weather states, there is absolutely no reason no to go with a more sticky summer tire.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, probably the main reason I upgraded my rims and tires asap. I couldnt take any turn without the squealing, and I tried all different types of tire pressure.

I think there are some better options for the stock rims. Do a search.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:29 PM
Not an Ashtray

Oh sure, there are better options. But, that is going to cost me big bucks. I'm going to do it this summer anyway.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I know we've discussed this here many times before, but it really is annoyingly easy to make the stock tires squeal like a pig. I simply can't understand why Acura doesn't offer some kind of optional upgrade to the tires. Audi, Infiniti, Lexus, and BMW all offer aggressive tire options. For those of us who live in warm weather states, there is absolutely no reason no to go with a more sticky summer tire.
It costs more to have to fit different tires to cars going to different places.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:37 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Sure it should be optional but they would over charge for them anyway. Your better off buying the tires you want with more selection for alot less than dealer prices. The only problem, you'll have to suffer through the life of the OEM's.

But there are plenty of people around willing to buy your OEM's if your willing to sell.

Edit: Eventhough I live in Canada I'd have no problem buying a TSX equipped with summer tires. This forces you to get some Winter's which everyone should have anyway.

IS300's sold here come with Summer Tires.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
It costs more to have to fit different tires to cars going to different places.

That isn't what I'm suggesting. The TL has an option of dealer installed performance tires - that would be one way to go. Another way to go would be to have summer tires and performance rims as an extra cost option - like Audi, BMW, and Infiniti do.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:48 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the stock tires are made for comfort in mind. it's really easy to make stock tires sqeal? even in an AT? not poking fun, i'm serious for once. how do you manage that? i mean my parents own a 2003 tl, and they never sqeal their tires? sounds like you just have an aggressive driving habit.

i have 235/35-19 tires on mine, i can still break the tires loose.

for everyday civilian driving, the stock tires are more than adequate. and if you really want to sel them, also try the rsx boards and the new honda accord boards. they would love to have our wheels
Old 11-24-2004, 02:50 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by dzuy
the stock tires are made for comfort in mind. it's really easy to make stock tires sqeal? even in an AT? not poking fun, i'm serious for once. how do you manage that? i mean my parents own a 2003 tl, and they never sqeal their tires? sounds like you just have an aggressive driving habit.

i have 235/35-19 tires on mine, i can still break the tires loose.

for everyday civilian driving, the stock tires are more than adequate. and if you really want to sel them, also try the rsx boards and the new honda accord boards. they would love to have our wheels

They squel taking a turn, it has nothing to do with the transmission. You're getting confused with chirping tires.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by domn
They squel taking a turn, it has nothing to do with the transmission. You're getting confused with chirping tires.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by domn
oh i see. well, still, couldn't you just take the turn slower? i hope no one thinks i'm joking, i'm being really serious...

if that is the case, he'll need a better suspension setup as well.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
actually, i meant that he was sqealing tires accelerating off the line.

either way, sqealing means = drive less aggressive dude.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dzuy
actually, i meant that he was sqealing tires accelerating off the line.

either way, sqealing means = drive less aggressive dude.
Actually, they squeal even in mild turns. Of course, what's the point of having a car with such a good suspension if you can't have some fun with it from time to time.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Not an Ashtray

My point exactly. I LOVE the handling of the TSX, but I am looking forward to buying better rubber.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh sure, there are better options. But, that is going to cost me big bucks. I'm going to do it this summer anyway.
Yea, and upgraded tires from the dealer would cost you more just as well. And they still may not be as good as you want them because of the high profile. So why waste your money on them? If its that much of an issue (like it was for me) get some 18's get some better rubber and you'll be good.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Is it just me or squealing rubber has nothing to do with the quality of the tire?

I always thought a tire that squealed early was a more progressive tire that warned ahead of time before it broke loose, compared to a tire that broke all of a sudden without warning like a Pilot Sports.

I thought quality was determined by the actual construction of the tire (like the sidewalls, and the ply rating) and not by the rubber compound. One type of rubber will be ideal for one situation, but not for another, that won't necessarily make it crappy.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:15 PM
Not an Ashtray

Is it just me, or are you always coming up with one insightful observation after another?

Great post.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Why thank you.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:19 PM
Race Director

Received 625 Likes on 504 Posts
Is it just me, or are you always coming up with one insightful observation after another?

Great post.
Old 11-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by biker
Go to bed you, you're way past your hour. Even I am past mine!
Old 11-25-2004, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Michelin MXM4 OEM

Acura seems to keep coming back to this tire.

The 02-03 TL's have them, the TSX, RSX have them too. I know TL's have problems with them bulging on the sidewalls but RSX (at least the ones that I know) doesn't seem to have this problem. Heck the 05 TL and RL have these exact same tires now too, I thought they were swinging towards Bridgestones.

Judging from the articles I read about the recent Acuras (equipped with these tires), despite how ell the car performs, the critics seem to point to the one of the weaknesses of the cars-that is this tire.

I'm thinking Honda went with this type for pure comfort of ride and quietness as opposed to performance (handling, grip/ traction).

All I know is that once you replace the tires to better (weather specific) rubber, the true handling/ performance of the car is brought out.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Vicman17
All I know is that once you replace the tires to better (weather specific) rubber, the true handling/ performance of the car is brought out.
Obviously, those tires won't help maximise the potential the TSX chassis has. Neither does the engine for that matter.

Actually, if the TSX was built as a racecar, only then would the engine, suspension and tire combo be good enough to get all the potential of the chassis. But we all know it wouldn't be practical for any of us, and it would not pursue it's intended goals of luxury, comfort, and economy.

Like Vicman said, these tires are there for durability and comfort (though I admit, they are pretty noisy). And they fulfill their goal pretty well IMO.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:44 AM
1st Gear

Tires & Saucemans great treatise on mileage

I will buy a TSX (ultra lo mile '04, or new '05) w/ in a week or so. In reading up on the cars I was perplexed by three things : 1) most tests (from Consumer Reports to the car magazines) indicated mediocre braking; 2) handling did not seem very impressive relative to others in its class; 3) the automatic gets better mileage than the manual.
Having little faith in Michelins ( other than knowing that that they can be counted on being the highest price), I went to Tire Rack's site for reviews. Because I type very slowly, I will spare readers the details, and me the typing labors - suffice it to say that Accura has done themselves no favors by fitting those $183 ea. Michelins to the TSX. While there are many who see Michelin and instantly feel comfort, it would seem to me that people in the market for a car like the TSX are apt to be more discerning and may not even get beyond the reviews and test results, or at best would be less than satisfied that the car has been supplied W/ a very pricey tire that may not do the car justice... and should probably be replaced in order for the car to realize its potential and to get back in the pack W/ its' competitors.
Regarding the mileage, if the auto REALLY does better than the 6spd, is it mainly due to the taller over-all ratio of the auto? If so, just think what sauceman could get if he drove an auto... or better yet, what the car would do if the 6spd used different ratios in 4th 5th & 6th (spread the ratios out a little in the higher gears)to achieve the same final drive as the auto??!!! Is the 6spd a little quicker? Hopefully so ! ( It feels like it, and I think that the road tests may indicate 7.3 sec. to 7.8sec. 0-60), Although Consumer Reports came up w/ a rather dismal 9.2 sec. on an auto. It would be interesting to see a comparison by the same testing source. Any thoughts or info ? Great piece on mileage sauceman!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:04 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by alfabarn
Regarding the mileage, if the auto REALLY does better than the 6spd, is it mainly due to the taller over-all ratio of the auto? If so, just think what sauceman could get if he drove an auto... or better yet, what the car would do if the 6spd used different ratios in 4th 5th & 6th (spread the ratios out a little in the higher gears)to achieve the same final drive as the auto??!!! Is the 6spd a little quicker? Hopefully so ! ( It feels like it, and I think that the road tests may indicate 7.3 sec. to 7.8sec. 0-60), Although Consumer Reports came up w/ a rather dismal 9.2 sec. on an auto. It would be interesting to see a comparison by the same testing source. Any thoughts or info ? Great piece on mileage sauceman!
Thank you, but don't even dream about me=5AT!

And no, I wouldn't want a talled 6th or final drive either. I am perfectly happy with my short 6th, for the reasons stated in a few older threads, but that's also this thread...