Comptech Rear Swaybar Install - With Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0
joerockt's DIY mentions washers that are included in the kit.

i'm looking at the comptech site, and it makes no mention of washers, although in the pics i can see a pair (http://www.comptechusa.com/store/140145tsx.html).

i'm asking because i just bought a used set. i have the bushings and brackets, but, no washers.

you guys know what size the washers are?
I bought the Comptech bar but used some poly bushings from Energy Suspension. So I have the Comptech bushings and washers in front of me. The washer is just your standard steel washer. It is 3/4" with a 5/16" opening. Looks like the kind you can pick up at Home Depot. The Energy Suspension bushings came with similar size but much thicker washer. The slot in the bushing bracket is a little wider than the stock bracket so you just want a washer to make sure the bolt has something to spread its pre-load on.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Comptech RSB

I just installed the RSB. My buddy and I did the install with no probs in less than an hour. We put the rear up on jackstands and took off the rear passenger wheel. We used no lube at all on the stock comptech bushings. (The Acura OEMs used no lube). Torqued to specs. Have had zero noise yet. The weather has been terrible ( 17 degrees and snow) so I haven't been able to test the cornering much; but a few fast accelerations through a 90 degree turn are very impressive.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^

nice. i plan on installing mine once spring hits. the rsb has been sitting in my trunk since nov06.

i may opt for the teflon tape during my install, and see how that goes.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Racer

I just put on the Comptech RSB on sunday. I noticed the stock one didn't have grease of course but I still went ahead and used synthetic grease on the comptech ones.

The handling improvement was significant so to speak! What the hell was honda thinking when they put on that crappy RSB. In any event the car corners much better now just as people have been saying. The hype is all true.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear

Just got my progress RSB on tonight... wish i had twistier roads to test on, but it feels tighter with a faster turn in. I would love to lower the car, but I think the crappy Jersey roads would eat my A-spec bodywork... I'll have to be satisfied with the RSB for now.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

I did my Neuspeed RSB this afternoon. I took a short spin, but I have not had a chance to really test it. I could tell immediately that, as others mentioned, the "turn in" seemed more responsive.

I have a torque wrench, but I couldn't seem to make use of it. The space is too tight on the brackets, and my socket wouldn't fit over the endlink nut. So I had to just approximate. Hmm.

I retorqued the endlink-nuts after my short run -- they did seem to loosen up a bit! Do I need to keep checking from time to time or should that be it?

I used the "pop the driver's side muffler from its mounts", which gives you JUST enough wiggle room to maneuver the bar through. This made life easier; even though it was tough to pop the rubber mounts off, it was still easier than taking off the wheel.

Neuspeed includes replacement bolts and nuts, but they need different sized sockets; just something to watch out for, when you're collecting tools.

The Neuspeed brackets look pretty much like the Energy Suspension ones. The insides have slight ridges, I guess to hold the grease better. I think the most annoying thing about this mod is having to take it apart just to regrease... or just having to regrease.

I like the less extreme size of the Neuspeed (19mm), which I hope will translate in to less of potential problems. Still, the bar is noticeably thicker than stock, although it seems pretty much the same shape. Once installed, there's no way you can read the nice printed NEUSPEED on the side of it -- too bad!

I probably "saved" a bit of money even after the tools that I bought for the project.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vidgamer
I did my Neuspeed RSB this afternoon. I took a short spin, but I have not had a chance to really test it. I could tell immediately that, as others mentioned, the "turn in" seemed more responsive.

I have a torque wrench, but I couldn't seem to make use of it. The space is too tight on the brackets, and my socket wouldn't fit over the endlink nut. So I had to just approximate. Hmm.

I retorqued the endlink-nuts after my short run -- they did seem to loosen up a bit! Do I need to keep checking from time to time or should that be it?

I used the "pop the driver's side muffler from its mounts", which gives you JUST enough wiggle room to maneuver the bar through. This made life easier; even though it was tough to pop the rubber mounts off, it was still easier than taking off the wheel.

Neuspeed includes replacement bolts and nuts, but they need different sized sockets; just something to watch out for, when you're collecting tools.

The Neuspeed brackets look pretty much like the Energy Suspension ones. The insides have slight ridges, I guess to hold the grease better. I think the most annoying thing about this mod is having to take it apart just to regrease... or just having to regrease.

I like the less extreme size of the Neuspeed (19mm), which I hope will translate in to less of potential problems. Still, the bar is noticeably thicker than stock, although it seems pretty much the same shape. Once installed, there's no way you can read the nice printed NEUSPEED on the side of it -- too bad!

I probably "saved" a bit of money even after the tools that I bought for the project.
Do you happen to know what size washers they used on those bolts?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jwood_06TSX
Do you happen to know what size washers they used on those bolts?
No, but they were significantly larger than stock in diameter! I think the inner hole was probably the same -- enough to fit the bolt. (Of course, I'm only speaking of the bolts to hold on the bracket for the bushings.) Someone above listed the washers that came with another set of bushings...

Driving around a couple of days, I guess I can make initial comments. As others have mentioned, I think it raises the speed that you are comfortable in taking a corner or curve, but for me, I wouldn't describe it in such "night and day" terms as some of the others. Where someone posted going from 55 to now having a comfort level of 75 mph through a curve, I am not feeling that kind of a difference nor having the confidence to make that kind of a speed increase; with these tires, I still don't have a great comfort level, or perhaps the 19mm has less of an effect, or perhaps I'm less of a crazy driver -- probably all 3. Anyway, it is a noticeable improvement, and I'm keeping it.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vidgamer
No, but they were significantly larger than stock in diameter! I think the inner hole was probably the same -- enough to fit the bolt. (Of course, I'm only speaking of the bolts to hold on the bracket for the bushings.) Someone above listed the washers that came with another set of bushings...

Driving around a couple of days, I guess I can make initial comments. As others have mentioned, I think it raises the speed that you are comfortable in taking a corner or curve, but for me, I wouldn't describe it in such "night and day" terms as some of the others. Where someone posted going from 55 to now having a comfort level of 75 mph through a curve, I am not feeling that kind of a difference nor having the confidence to make that kind of a speed increase; with these tires, I still don't have a great comfort level, or perhaps the 19mm has less of an effect, or perhaps I'm less of a crazy driver -- probably all 3. Anyway, it is a noticeable improvement, and I'm keeping it.

umm the size of the sway bar will matter/thickness. That is the reason why we are upgrading the 15mm or 17mm to a 19mm.

Most of us, upgraded to the comptech/progress 22mm bar! A 22mm bar is going to be even more stiffer than a 19mm.

The amount of stiffness does not increase linearly, it increases exponentially based on the equation of torque on a bar.

So that is probably the resaon why you did not noticed too big of an improvement at 19mm.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
if you get a short 14mm socket you're torque wrench will fit fine....
Old 06-24-2007, 09:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Can somebody tell me which Torque Wrench they used?

The one I bought today is small in size, but I can't specify exactly to 29 ft/lbs. I have to estimate between 320 and 420.

So I was wondering what kind of Torque Wrench you guys used?