Camber kit needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camber kit needed?

I will be getting a set of Tein SS if i dont find a Aspec setup and wanted to knwo if i should get a camber kid and i would assume an Ingalls kit is preffered? not going to slam it kit a slight drop
Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 AM
Jon (PWP FTW)

Originally Posted by prnstr4life
I will be getting a set of Tein SS if i dont find a Aspec setup and wanted to knwo if i should get a camber kid and i would assume an Ingalls kit is preffered? not going to slam it kit a slight drop

umm there are people on this board that will swear by a camber kit and others who claim you don't need one.

personally i put a rear camber kit on mine. im dropped on tein basics. about a finger gap in the front and a little more in the rear.

with a good alignment shop you can probably get away without a camber kit.

if you do want one you only need the rear. you don't need the front camber kit regardless of your drop.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The rear camber will become progressively negative the lower you go. So if you want to go pretty low, you'll probably want a camber kit.

Some say that camber isn't the biggest issue with tire wear; it's with toe. An alignment shop should be able to minimize tire wear. However, you may or may not like the look of the rear wheels leaning inward. I wanted to make sure my tires are always vertical, so I got a camber kit. Negative camber isn't that bad...it improves handling. In fact, the specs call for -1 degrees of camber in the rear.

Ingall's camber kit is better in that it is easier to install, and it gives you more adjustability (in terms of toe).
Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Advanced

I work for a Mitsubishi dealer and our alignment guy does Evo's all day long with drops so i know it will be done right. and for cost of lunch!!!

I will probably get one due to price of tires these days
Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 AM
Instructor

So you guys are saying only camber the rear and have the toe angle chekced in the front? I just changed my rims and when I looked at the old tires the inside tread looked like drag slicks! Would that be camber or toe problem? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
The rear camber will become progressively negative the lower you go. So if you want to go pretty low, you'll probably want a camber kit.

Some say that camber isn't the biggest issue with tire wear; it's with toe. An alignment shop should be able to minimize tire wear. However, you may or may not like the look of the rear wheels leaning inward. I wanted to make sure my tires are always vertical, so I got a camber kit. Negative camber isn't that bad...it improves handling. In fact, the specs call for -1 degrees of camber in the rear.

Ingall's camber kit is better in that it is easier to install, and it gives you more adjustability (in terms of toe).
This is mostly true - you do not want anything more than -2.5 degrees camber in the back. I had 3 at one time (my bushings were shot on my stock links) and my tires got down to cords in about 5,000 miles.

Camber does make your tires wear extremely fast...

Also - negative rear camber is used for straight line stability, not handling (which is why Acura wants -1 on the back, for highway stability).
Old 09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by BaumBizzle
So you guys are saying only camber the rear and have the toe angle chekced in the front? I just changed my rims and when I looked at the old tires the inside tread looked like drag slicks! Would that be camber or toe problem? Thanks!
The reason is that the rear camber of the TSX suspension is fixed. There is some toe adjustably available at the rear, but it's limited (and it's just a concentric bolt, so it's probably frozen if the car's more than a couple of years old anyway). The lower you go, the more the camber will go negative and there's probably not going to be enough toe adjustment to compensate for the toe change that will go with the drop. The front is adjustable so if you do decide to go the camber kit route (Ingalls is the choice by the way), just the rear should do it. There have been some here (that seem to know allot more about it than I do) that have claimed that excess negative camber doesn't pose much of a wear problem and it's out of adjustment toe that is the culprit. I can't say from experience since I went with the Ingalls kit because I didn't like the looks of -2.5 degrees of rear camber.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
What about me for instance.
I just had an alignment done about a month ago. I am thinking about getting some Tein Basics.

Would it be suggested to get a camber kit? I got confused when I read the comments in this thread too. Yall say that the lower you drop, the more negative camber that ensues. Does that mean when I lower my car the top of the back wheels "fold" in towards the car? I thought that's what happens after you put a camber kit on.

I hate it when the wheels fold in.
If I get Tein Basics and don't get a camber kit, will my wheels wear out really quick?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
3rd Gear

I know absolutely nothing about car suspensions..

I have an 04 TSX and my mechanic told me the previous owner installed Skunk2 Lowering springs. The car was up on a lift at the time so I didn't notice, but now in my garage I can see the negative camber more closely. It seems from reading the above posts that this negative camber is normal and provides better straight-line stability but honestly I don't really like how it looks with the negative camber and I'm concerned about increased tire wear. I'd like to know if the camber I have will result in faster than normal tire wear, or if its fine and shouldn't cause me any problems. I know there's a lot of irony in the fact that I was in the shop and didn't ask this, but they're closed now..I've attached some photos below to illustrate so if anyone can help me I'd appreciate it.

P.S. I just bought this car today and absolutely love it! 6sp, no nav.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Advanced

Same thing here.. about 1,6-1,8 negative..should I order or not....
I don`t care much about highway stability since my car and myself don`t use highway often.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stonyisland
I'd like to know if the camber I have will result in faster than normal tire wear, or if its fine and shouldn't cause me any problems.
When the rear suspension on the TSX articulates (moves up or down) camber and toe both change. If you put in shorter springs, etc, without installing a camber kit, your toe will be out of spec all the time.

When your camber is out of spec, so is your toe (unless you have a camber/toe kit that adjusts this).

Conclusion:

Worry about the toe on the rear first, then worry about the camber. Your toe MUST be in check in order to alleviate any tire wear problems.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Finally, haha, my advise has sunken in!!! Not one post claiming camber kits are critical for tire wear!

I would add my support to the idea that anything above 2.5 degree should consider a camber kit for the longevity of mechanical parts on the car and tires.

Marcus