Anyone Have A Problem Removing Rear Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 03:03 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Have A Problem Removing Rear Shocks?

Over the holiday I helped my bro install a set of Tein Basics on his '99 Accord and we ran into a huge problem getting the through-bolt out of the bottom mount of each stock rear shock. It seems to have basically fused itself to the mounting hole in the stock rear shock -- it wouldn't turn (snapped the head off of the thru-bolt with the nut completely off the other end!) and wouldn't pound out with a heavy punch and ball-peen hammer. We ended up having to drill it out from each end.

I've considered tackling a coilover install on my TSX, which is, granted, five years newer and less crudded-up underneath than my bro's Accord, but wanted to know if anyone's run into trouble getting the old suspension bits OFF their TSX. Anyone?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Use this link as a guide and you should be fine.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow never had a bolt fuse on me that badly.

Did you spray any lubricant or penetrant on it?

Might have helped, but i guess we'll never know now.

Im pretty sure the TSX should be a breeze.

Do you live where theres snow and salt on the roads, might have contributed to its difficulty.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by ILoveMyHonda
Wow never had a bolt fuse on me that badly.

Did you spray any lubricant or penetrant on it?

Might have helped, but i guess we'll never know now.

Im pretty sure the TSX should be a breeze.

Do you live where theres snow and salt on the roads, might have contributed to its difficulty.
I never in my life saw a bolt that badly fused. We sprayed penetrant on it for days. Yes, my brother (it was his Accord) lives in St. Paul, MN -- plenty of salt for five months/year. We had to cut it off with a Sawzall -- it was a pain but it worked. The bolt was just fused to the hole in the shock mount. Never seen anything like it...
Old 12-27-2006, 07:31 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by JTso
Use this link as a guide and you should be fine.
Thanks, JTso. By the way, nice avatar! Looks familiar...
Old 12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by peter_bigblock
I was about say that.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Intermediate

Over the holiday I helped my bro install a set of Tein Basics on his '99 Accord and we ran into a huge problem getting the through-bolt out of the bottom mount of each stock rear shock. It seems to have basically fused itself to the mounting hole in the stock rear shock -- it wouldn't turn (snapped the head off of the thru-bolt with the nut completely off the other end!) and wouldn't pound out with a heavy punch and ball-peen hammer. We ended up having to drill it out from each end.

I've considered tackling a coilover install on my TSX, which is, granted, five years newer and less crudded-up underneath than my bro's Accord, but wanted to know if anyone's run into trouble getting the old suspension bits OFF their TSX. Anyone?
This is common with the older accords. I use to own a 1995 Honda accord and they were known for fusing the lower shock mount bolt.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I would suggest that the TSX, after six or seven years especially in a northern (salt on the roads) climate, will suffer a similar problem. The lower mount looks to be the same design and I'd be willing to bet that the bolt is the same. If you're going to swap out your own shocks for coilovers, might think about doing it now vs. waiting until the car's paid off in five years...
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

When i did my Tein Basic install i struggled for a few mins on it as well however, my buddy had a SnapOn cordless 1/2" impact wrench and it took the bolt out like it was just put on the car. Not sure what kind of tools you are using but something you may want to look into if you haven't already. Hope ya had a good Christmas!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Although, it looks like someone spit polished his knob.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peter, I did mine just 2 days ago. Xizor and I swapped a Tein Flex setup onto my car with no problems. Car is almost exactly 1 year old, and its seen its fair share of highway salt across the PA turnpike numerous times, as well as DC highways. The nuts came off without any problems, and I used a punch and mallet to pound the bolts back out the other side. Everything also re-installed without a problem. Camber kit arms worked too. Now I just need an alignment...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:07 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looking under my TSX, it's nowhere NEAR as rusty/crappy/melted as my brother's. An impact wrench (which I do have, with a 175 psi compressor) makes no difference on a bolt as badly fused as this one -- like I said, the head snapped off without the nut being on the other end! I think it's a matter of so many years of crud/salt under there that is the difference between my bro's '99 and my '04.

Everything else about the install was cake -- it's pretty straightforward and nearly identical to the TSX. He loves the Basics; it's got me yearning for coilovers now. Damn car-modding bug! (And this is something I don't think I can DIY using Home Depot parts...)
Old 12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Looking under my TSX, it's nowhere NEAR as rusty/crappy/melted as my brother's. An impact wrench (which I do have, with a 175 psi compressor) makes no difference on a bolt as badly fused as this one -- like I said, the head snapped off without the nut being on the other end! I think it's a matter of so many years of crud/salt under there that is the difference between my bro's '99 and my '04.

Everything else about the install was cake -- it's pretty straightforward and nearly identical to the TSX. He loves the Basics; it's got me yearning for coilovers now. Damn car-modding bug! (And this is something I don't think I can DIY using Home Depot parts...)
:hint: Start in the Garage Door spring area ...
Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was very hesitant to switch from the OEM to aftermarket. It wasn't on my 'planned' mod list either, but the I just jumped on it. 2 days in, no regrets. I can't wait to really throw it around after I get aligned, in the mean time, I just notice the improved resistance to dive/roll and how solidly I can corner. I'm gonna hit the big twisties around me hard as soon as the back end is straight.

Get the Flex! Its so easy to adjust height and dampening with these.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
It is not entirely uncommon to see that. What happens is that rust, salt, grime build up in the grooved part of the bolt. Then it fuses to the bushing. Then b/c the bolt doesn't want to spin the head snaps off under the tq. The way to get those out is either to torch them out or use an air hammer. Usually you ruin the bushing so you have to replace that also. I had a 01 CL-S in my shop a few months back and I did basically every bolt on possible on it. The lower control arm to suspension fork bolt was fused on both sides to the bushing. We banged, torched, air hammered, everything. That sucker would not come out. We had to but the suspension fork off and replace both LCA's and the susp fork. It was nuts. The customer lived near the ocean but I have to bet it was some sort of flood car or in a large accident b/c I haven't seen one that bad in a long time. The solution to avoid this is to put a lot of anti-seize on the bolt when you put it back in. Make sure you clean it with some WD40 and a wire brush and then put anti-seize on the threads and the shaft of the bolt.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:59 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Originally Posted by Excelerate
It is not entirely uncommon to see that. What happens is that rust, salt, grime build up in the grooved part of the bolt. Then it fuses to the bushing. Then b/c the bolt doesn't want to spin the head snaps off under the tq. The way to get those out is either to torch them out or use an air hammer. Usually you ruin the bushing so you have to replace that also. I had a 01 CL-S in my shop a few months back and I did basically every bolt on possible on it. The lower control arm to suspension fork bolt was fused on both sides to the bushing. We banged, torched, air hammered, everything. That sucker would not come out. We had to but the suspension fork off and replace both LCA's and the susp fork. It was nuts. The customer lived near the ocean but I have to bet it was some sort of flood car or in a large accident b/c I haven't seen one that bad in a long time. The solution to avoid this is to put a lot of anti-seize on the bolt when you put it back in. Make sure you clean it with some WD40 and a wire brush and then put anti-seize on the threads and the shaft of the bolt.
The front bolts were no problem -- I think the rear bolts just get, like you said, all that salty crap sprayed at them and it seeps in and the bolt and the shock just melt together. Just a cautionary tale as our TSXs get older, this could happen to you...