Anyone experienced H&R Coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:36 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone experienced H&R Coilover?

I did a search but nothing much came up.

Wondering if anyone is using them and how are they?
Old 10-08-2006, 02:27 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry not with the TSX, but my friend had H&R coilovers on his BMW 3 Series, it was very comfortable and soft. Not not Stiff like Teins.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:54 PM
無限 本田 CL9

i beg to differ

i ran h&r coilovers on my 2001 jetta 1.8T, and now I have the tein basics on my tsx

i think the teins are more comfortable
Old 10-08-2006, 05:40 PM
PJS
Burning Brakes

Two different cars with different brands of coilovers is recipe for disaster to try and make like for like comparisons from.
Ultimately, what you'd need to do is find out what spring rates each company is using for their TSX coilovers and compare that way, with someone who's got one of them installed.
Only then will you have an idea as t which might suit your needs best.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

Talk to goowakjai & GSGOMEZ, if they are both still here. They have/had them on their TSXs. I have asked them about the H&R myself because my wife works for Les Schwab and if we bought and installed anything else (brands they dont sell or order), she thinks she would get canned. Its too bad, cause the the EDFC Tein Flex...... well, need I say more?

Jake
Old 10-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Got Milk???

give Shaang a holla, i believe he has them on as well

KC
Old 10-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Racer

I have them on my car. They are comfortable, stiffer than stock, but not unbearably stiff. I can't compare ride comfort vs other coilovers (i.e. Tein) because I haven't driven a TSX with other coilvers, but the spring rates for H&R are lower than Teins. I hope that helps.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:18 AM
A DiRTBAG decal on my

Originally Posted by kaikai114
give Shaang a holla, i believe he has them on as well

KC
Yes shaang does
Old 10-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Advanced

H&R uses progressive springs so they are more street oriented. Teins use a linear rate. A linear rate spring will give a more predictable behavior.

H&R uses an internal bumpstop as part of the spring rate on their coilovers. If you were to take apart their strut, you will see it is quite long. Because of their design and in order to meet european standards, the overall strut length is required to be the same as stock OEM equpiment. They do this by having a lot of dead coils on their springs and the use of internal bumpstops to prevent coil binding. When you slam an H&R c/o, chances are you are riding the bumpstops.

Teins use a shortened strut, an appropriate length bumpstop and higher spring rates. I've rode in a car that initially had H&R c/o's and then was switched to Teins. I prefer the Teins because it takes bumps better and handles better due to riding the springs rather than bumpstops. Also, H&R's struts are based on Bilsteins. Bilsteins have a high initial compression rate.

Don't be afraid to use Teins because they have a higher spring rate. Besides, Teins Basics are comparable to the H&R c/o's in that they have a fixed dampening rate and they need the top mounts from the OEM units. But Tein Basics are six and some change while the H&R's are 9 and some change.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Drifting

^

i thought the H&R's have dampening adjustability.

i need to read the specs again. i always miss these details.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have H and R coilover on CGTSX for almost 1 year, it went pretty good. It felt comfortable and soft, very close to stock but stiffer a little bit because of 2 inch drop. When I drove out there with the road bump and coilover gave me a pretty strong support. I think I am happy with it. I wish I could like to check Tein and Tanabe on their TSX and see how does it all coilovers comparison. I am sure that Tein and Tanabe, H and R and other brand a like Buddy club are good quality. There is nothing wrong with different brand on coilover. I think I want to raise a little bit and give me a more comfortable ride. Does this help you out? If you need any question then let me know.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

They are very comfortable and I am selling mine right now, they are only two months old. The reason I am selling them is cuz I have to sell my 06 Tsx due to financial reasons. They were only on the car for 2k miles, I bought them from the Tire Rack for 975. I will let them go for 800 bucks. Trust me I was looking for some smooth riding coilovers and you cannot go wrong with these!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Brentcjdm
They are very comfortable and I am selling mine right now, they are only two months old. The reason I am selling them is cuz I have to sell my 06 Tsx due to financial reasons. They were only on the car for 2k miles, I bought them from the Tire Rack for 975. I will let them go for 800 bucks. Trust me I was looking for some smooth riding coilovers and you cannot go wrong with these!!!
I agree with you, I understand the financial situation. Good luck!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Any info on H&R coilovers?

Thread revival.

As I mentioned in some other threads, I was in the market searching for suspension upgrades.
Initially, I was going for Koni+springs. However, I opened up my options and looked into COs. Tein SS was one of them, of course, and the second one was H&R. I had no idea about H&R COs, but the more I look into it, it attracted me more. I don't think I will be tracking often and most of the time, the car will be driven on bumpy roads with numerous potholes. Damp adj. is not that big of an issue.

An obstacle in chosing H&R over Tein was their price (about 200 more). However, the place where I got my intake has it for $50 cheaper then Teins!

Now I am pretty much sold to H&R. The very last hesitation comes from no-info on rust prevention on its coilover products. I read they have extensive treatments for springs, but what about coilovers? What about warranty? Nebody have ne idea?

If you know any reason I stay away from H&R CO, plz enlighten me.
Or else, I will be one of the guinea pigs for H&R COs.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

i'm also curious about H&R coilovers. ebell, did you ever decide on H&R or otherwise?
Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM
Instructor

I have installed them and have been riding on them for a wk now.
I can't give you any comparison b/w Teins b/c I never tried Teins.

When compared to stock, it's definitely firmer. However, even with not-so-good road conditions here, it still is ridable. I have dropped it close to 1.7F 1.2R. I prolly drop the rear a bit more.

I tried harder cornerings and stops to test them out. There's definitely less body role and less nose dive. It feels like the car is sticked to the road, almost feels like riding a rollercoaster

Let me know if you have any question.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Drifting

^

+1