alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM
where is my garage?!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alignment issues

hey all--i recently dropped my car on tein basics. i waited for everything to settle and went to place to get it aligned at a shop that was recommended to me as knowing what to do (bad recommendation).

the first major mistake they did was totally screwing up the ingalls install. this dope installed 1/2 the kit on both sides, replacing 1 rod on each side. it was almost comical...he came out and said the car was done, then gave me the other 1/2 of the kit saying he didn't need it. i was dumbfounded. long story short, i had them re-do the ingalls install (which could very well be installed incorrectly) and realigned.

after driving around for a day, i've noticed that the car generally careens toward the right when the steering wheel is straight and level ('A' symbol pointing at 12 o'clock). my car drives straight if the 'A' symbol is pointing between 11 and 12. this is really bugging me b/c had i known that this shop couldn't handle the ingalls install (they claimed they knew how to install a camber kit) or the alignment, i would never have gone. in fact, i'd argue that the car drove better before i even went to that place for the alignment.

i've read some members having alignment issues after a drop, even after repeatedly getting their car realigned. but for the most part, that's a small segment of people, and i'm sure this can be corrected. but i'm not sure if i really want to go back to this shop. they said i have 30 days if something is wrong. i really don't want to deal with them again, and the guy that did the alignment barely spoke a lick of english (this was a big mental 'siren' when i met him after i drove the car in). and part of me is paranoid that they may just f' up my car out of spite.

i'm seriously considering bringing it into some normal shop that actually understands english like firestone or sears auto. may seem silly to pay twice for an alignment, but again, i really, really, don't have the patience to deal with the original shop.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the peace of mind and avoiding to potentially dealing with the same issues the original shop gave you.. I say take it to a more reputable place and just pay a little more to fix it and realign. I'm sure it's a lot better than your coilovers/cambers malfunctioning during your drive somehow due to improper installation.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Don't take it to the same shop. I know Sears, Firestone, Just Tires, Big-O Tires are big names that do alignment. But make sure your next shop will work with you in regards to aftermarket parts. Some places will only do an alignment on OEM parts and not mess with a aftermarket rear camber kit. I had mine done at a local Sears a year ago, and the tech was cool with adjusting my Ingalls. Recently, I took it to another Sears out of town, and they didn't touch my Ingalls stating Honda didn't recommend a rear camber adjustment. So it depends on the shop.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 AM
where is my garage?!

agreed. glad that the general consensus is not to revisit the original shop.

i'll have to do some better research.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:23 PM
where is my garage?!

update

i called the local firestone. they didn't have any issues working on a lowered car with a camber kit. they looked at everything and the guy said basically the camber and toe were out of whack, along with the entire alignment. they gave me before and after specs, changed it back to factory specs, and it drives great now.

that first place was a freaking scam. never go there. 106th street tire and wheel in corona. just avoid it.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:24 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you found a good shop. I installed my camber kit myself and get my alignment done at Mavis Tire in Greenwich, CT. I started using them thanks to DAYTA vouching for them. They're great with lowered cars and understand how to use an adjustable camber kit. I recommend them to anyone in the Fairfield County, CT area.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Zyuan10
For the peace of mind and avoiding to potentially dealing with the same issues the original shop gave you.. I say take it to a more reputable place and just pay a little more to fix it and realign. I'm sure it's a lot better than your coilovers/cambers malfunctioning during your drive somehow due to improper installation.
I've found the Tire Rack installer database is a good resource for a local shop if you're unable to find one (and don't know about any of you, but I find word of mouth to be extremely valuable with something like this. Also, don't automatically dismiss the little guys; there can be some real talent hiding in some of those whole in the wall places).
Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 PM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Glad you found a good shop. I installed my camber kit myself and get my alignment done at Mavis Tire in Greenwich, CT. I started using them thanks to DAYTA vouching for them. They're great with lowered cars and understand how to use an adjustable camber kit. I recommend them to anyone in the Fairfield County, CT area.
yeah, we have some mavis tires out here in long island too. i didn't even think of them to be honest. probably too hellbent on finding a place that was reputable and spoke english at the minimum. lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

do you think most firestones can accomodate lowered cars? when you took your car there, did you notice any special equipment or did it all look pretty standard?
Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
where is my garage?!

tough to say. i tried to confirm all the facts before i even went--that they could work on a lowered car (assuming it can get on the lift, which it did), they can work with aftermarket suspensions and camber kits, etc...i think this particular firestone was probably more-apt to work on cars with aftermarket suspensions/mods b/c it's in flushing, and plenty of people in the area roll in modified rides (but doesn't necessarily guarantee anything, of course).

the showed me the computer readings of the camber and toe and what needed to be adjusted. i asked if he could work with the aftermarket camber kit and he said yes, and that they'd try to make everything back to factory specs.

obviously, there has to be some faith in the work, but the guys there seemed honest enough.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

^^thx, ill try giving the local one a call.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
This is horrible. I can't believe that this place is even in business. When I hear stories like this it literally pisses me off.