went autocrossing!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
went autocrossing!

with my new high flow cat and comptech rear sway installed - i decided to finally go auto crossing.

dude, it's hard to see with all those damn cones. good thing they have pointer cones.

and let me say - the stock tires suck. they dont grab for anything.

even on the ONLY straight on the course, as soon as i went WOT in 2nd, my tires spun out like crazy.

every turn my tires screeched.

my suspension is wonderful. no body roll or sway - i had the teins set at full stiff all the way around, people suggested that i keep the front looser.

i improved my time by 10 sec by the end of the day.

unfortunately (even tho everyone was saying i did well for a first timer) i still was the slowest of them all.

it's crazy to see that a 96 civic ex coupe with 17 inch wheels almost beat my friend with a bmw 330ci m package.

my friend is also a novice - only 2nd time. the civic driver went 3 or 4. but still...

crazy.

my best time was 45.7 when the people who have been going were running 40's.

my friend with the bmw (with some sticky bridgestones) ran 43.4

i cant help but feeling a little discouraged - but i know for a FACT that i was the only one running on stock all seasons.

even the civic had high performance all seasons

my friend, who is an experienced autocrosser - drove my car to a 43.2 in the RAIN. that was kinda fun. too bad traction was even worse.

i'm oh so close to selling the 19's and buying 17 x 8 volk te's with falken st-615 tires.

that would be badass.

thanks for reading!
Old 08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

oh and i forgot, autocrossing is infinitely more fun that drag racing.

you get to haul ass and turn like a mad man.

:troutslap
Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Apex Clipper

Nice. Why the EFF do you still have those stock tires on there Z?!?!?!?

BTW, canyons are infinately more fun then autoX... and Road Racing is infinately more fun than canyons...
Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Canyonball
Nice. Why the EFF do you still have those stock tires on there Z?!?!?!?

BTW, canyons are infinately more fun then autoX... and Road Racing is infinately more fun than canyons...
i didn't want to autox with my 19's.

the sidewall is so small i'm afraid it will flex under hard turns.

so i drove with my stock wheels (painted black, will post pics later) with stock tires.

that's why the EFF i still have stock tires. i hate the stock wheels. i'm about to sell those and possibly my beloved volks to get smaller lightweirght wide volks.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Not bad, dzuy. Now all you have to do is learn to drive and you'll be set.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:02 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Great to see you finally went out and tried auto-x, dzuy. Don't be discouraged by comparing the times from the faster guys and yours. Keep in mind that the faster guys have more seat time under their belts than you. It's quite normal for them to be several seconds faster. And I would suggest to you (again) that don't do anything else to the car yet (including going with stickier tires). Just drive with your stock tires, and focus on improving yourself (I mean the driving, ) first. When you see more consistance times, then you can think about playing with suspension settings and/or going with lighter wheels and stickier tires.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by vwong
Great to see you finally went out and tried auto-x, dzuy. Don't be discouraged by comparing the times from the faster guys and yours. Keep in mind that the faster guys have more seat time under their belts than you. It's quite normal for them to be several seconds faster. And I would suggest to you (again) that don't do anything else to the car yet (including going with stickier tires). Just drive with your stock tires, and focus on improving yourself (I mean the driving, ) first. When you see more consistance times, then you can think about playing with suspension settings and/or going with lighter wheels and stickier tires.
man the tires SSUUUUUUUUCCKKKK. brakes suck too. but the tires scream the whole time i'm driving. it was pretty embarrassing to have such a modified car and crap tires.

i will follow your advice, even tho i checked today and it's a long wait for 17 x 8 volk te37's

Old 08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by dzuy

i will follow your advice, even tho i checked today and it's a long wait for 17 x 8 volk te37's

Tirerack has 17" SSR comps in stock. Can't say they don't look slick:

Old 08-23-2005, 01:20 PM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by dzuy
i didn't want to autox with my 19's.

the sidewall is so small i'm afraid it will flex under hard turns.

so i drove with my stock wheels (painted black, will post pics later) with stock tires.

that's why the EFF i still have stock tires. i hate the stock wheels. i'm about to sell those and possibly my beloved volks to get smaller lightweirght wide volks.
I think you might have had better times with more grip and less acceleration. You're selling those Volks to me right?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally Posted by Canyonball
I think you might have had better times with more grip and less acceleration. You're selling those Volks to me right?
2500 USD plus shipping if i do