smoked a gsr on the freeway

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004 | 07:22 PM
4th Gear

Talking smoked a gsr on the freeway

had a pretty good race on the freeway with a stock 98 integra gsr. i was about car and a half behind him when i was about to redline 5th gear and onced i punched it into 6th i flew by him then we we stopped at a gas station to talk about our cars. this was one of my dream races because i was debating wheter or not i wanted a integra gsr or the new tsx. now that ive met my match im lovin my tsx. its not as fast as the integra gst 0-60 but high end its awesome and faster than the gsr. ive been trying to pick a race with an a4 audi but none of them seem to want to run on the freeway. the handling on the tsx is great, and the vsa really helps when u wanna hit a turn hard. looking forward to run tracks at irwindale or pomona cuz i dont wanna push my luck on the streets. but if i see a a4 on the freeway i dunno if ill be able to resist the tempation. thought id post this if anyone feels like their tsx isnt a good car. this car has great handling and great high end speed. plus it looks fine ass.
Old 02-28-2004 | 07:39 PM
Automobile Aficionado

yea A4 owners are no fun.....always try to pick a race with them and they never wanna dance.

anyway....any future modifications in your future???
Old 02-28-2004 | 08:33 PM
4th Gear

for reals. i wanna work on handling so im probably gonna be upgrading suspension, get some sway bars, etc etc. and put a intake in for a lil more hp. would wanna put in a turbo kit but i dont wanna mess up my warranty. this way, im safe if my engine turns over cuz of me flooring it so often. imma start driving it softer when i hit the 50000 mile mark or something. its TOO MUCH FUN right now driving it hard haha

what upgrades are u planning on
Old 02-28-2004 | 10:49 PM
04 remembrance

You almost redlined 5th???? Exactly how fast were you goig?
Old 02-29-2004 | 01:02 AM
Intermediate

if you want to race an a4, give a VW golf/gti a try. they have the same engines (the 1.8T and VR6) more or less.
Old 02-29-2004 | 08:35 PM
4th Gear

around 140-145 .. dont think ill be doing that anymore tho. one time is enough
Old 02-29-2004 | 08:58 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally posted by BenQuilter
if you want to race an a4, give a VW golf/gti a try. they have the same engines (the 1.8T and VR6) more or less.
What'ch you smokin willis? The VR6 is not available in an A4 they previously used a 2.8 V6 which is NOT the same as a 2.8 VR6- the VR6 only has one head and the audi 2.8 V6 is a more conventional V6 with two heads. Though on the new A4's they use a 3.0 audi V6 which is also used in the passat's. Try racing a passat because they are the same car as the A4. I don't suspect a 1.8t A4 would be much of a challenge for the TSX but the 3.0 may give you a run for your money.

Oh and BTW racing at the speeds your racing at on public roads is a If you want to race at those speeds do it on a race track where the only one your going to kill is yourself. Does the TSX even do 140? I wouldn't be surprised if it was electronically limited to 120+/- a little bit. When I get my TSX(should be here by the end of April) I will take it to the track and find out how fast the little bugger will go. I had my current GTi to 155 and it was a little scary, and I was on a track, on the street it would be so unsafe I couldn't imagine trying it with other cars around.
Old 02-29-2004 | 09:53 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by nautik119
what upgrades are u planning on
i already have Injen CAI, eibach pro kit, rear camber kit, and custom setup with the exhaust is in the works along with a hand welded 4-2-1 header project......but i plan on sway bar, damper kit, some dress up items, 18's with 235's, and maybe hondata if it ever comes around.
Old 02-29-2004 | 10:00 PM
cmf
ATCer

Another post of someone doing over double the speedlimit and excited about it. I don't understand....Nautik119, do a search of what happened to the last person that came on here talking about doing retarded speeds on a public road.
Old 03-01-2004 | 12:04 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by cmf
Another post of someone doing over double the speedlimit and excited about it. I don't understand....Nautik119, do a search of what happened to the last person that came on here talking about doing retarded speeds on a public road.
I wouldnt get too worked up about it. It sounds like a made up story,

.... or at least highly exagerated.

No offence to nautic...thats just how it reads to me.
Old 03-01-2004 | 06:34 AM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Originally posted by fdl
I wouldnt get too worked up about it. It sounds like a made up story,

.... or at least highly exagerated.

No offence to nautic...thats just how it reads to me.
I concur, I looked into what a stock GSR can do and no wonder it didn't keep up. The top speed from the factory is 130, so at 140-145 its no surprise they didn't keep up.
Old 03-01-2004 | 07:56 AM
Instructor

Not only that can't keep up in the GSR, maybe they didn't want to go that fast anymore. Those speeds are dangerous on the public road. It would be a shame to see your TSX hurt.
Old 03-01-2004 | 01:14 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Re: smoked a gsr on the freeway

had a pretty good race on the freeway with a stock 98 integra gsr. i was about car and a half behind him when i was about to redline 5th gear and onced i punched it into 6th i flew by him then we we stopped at a gas station to talk about our cars. this was one of my dream races because i was debating wheter or not i wanted a integra gsr or the new tsx. now that ive met my match im lovin my tsx. its not as fast as the integra gst 0-60 but high end its awesome and faster than the gsr.
Dream race w/ a GSR?? hahahaha
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:19 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

does anyone else think that this post is
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:24 PM

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Old 03-02-2004 | 10:53 AM
Burning Brakes

bwhahaha.... learn to make up fictional race stories better "punch it into 6th"

you've been watching too much 2f2f ... putting it in a higher gear doesnt automatically mean you are going to accelerate any faster.... or did you forget to tell you you pushed the NAAAAAAAAAS button on your steering wheel?
Old 03-02-2004 | 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by RogerPodacter
Old 03-02-2004 | 11:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Nothing happens when you shift into 6th when you're in 5th below redline... Total crap.
Old 03-02-2004 | 03:57 PM
ABP TSX

Old 03-02-2004 | 07:41 PM
4th Gear

never know till you try fellas. but like alot of people said .. it should be done on a track cuz i got real lucky nothing happened to me. there are alot of factors that need to be included with a street race but me and the other driver did talk afterwards and he said he was trying to lose me and he couldnt. if u ever have a street race .. try to talk about it after the two of you are done running so you know whether or not both of u guys were pushing it. we were runnin on the freeway for about 20 minutes then when he exited the freeway i followed him and asked what he had in his car. afterwards we just stopped at a parking lot to discuss our cars.

this story is no bs !! hopefully some people on the forum believe me. i was just trying to give our car a better name cuz ive read alot of stuff where people arent satisfied with there tsx

also .. what tracks can you go to that will let u reach up to 150 mph around southern cali??
most tracks i heard of are only 1/4 miles or 1/8 miles

oh yea .. when your below redline on 5th and shift to 6th you go a lil faster. try it.

lastly .. it was a dream race cuz i was debating between a tsx audi or a gsr. haha
Old 03-03-2004 | 12:38 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

never know till you try fellas. but like alot of people said .. it should be done on a track cuz i got real lucky nothing happened to me. there are alot of factors that need to be included with a street race but me and the other driver did talk afterwards and he said he was trying to lose me and he couldnt. if u ever have a street race .. try to talk about it after the two of you are done running so you know whether or not both of u guys were pushing it. we were runnin on the freeway for about 20 minutes then when he exited the freeway i followed him and asked what he had in his car. afterwards we just stopped at a parking lot to discuss our cars.

this story is no bs !! hopefully some people on the forum believe me. i was just trying to give our car a better name cuz ive read alot of stuff where people arent satisfied with there tsx

also .. what tracks can you go to that will let u reach up to 150 mph around southern cali??
most tracks i heard of are only 1/4 miles or 1/8 miles

oh yea .. when your below redline on 5th and shift to 6th you go a lil faster. try it.

lastly .. it was a dream race cuz i was debating between a tsx audi or a gsr. haha
I still say BS
Old 03-22-2004 | 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Being a current owner of an '01 GSR and about to purchase a new TSX, I feel like I should comment on something I read above about the top-end of the GSR. I don't know if the '98 has a pre-set top end, but I have personally had mine to 155 mph more than once and it was still climbing (slowly, but still climbing). I plead the 5th on if it was on the track or not...
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:10 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by RayRay10
Being a current owner of an '01 GSR and about to purchase a new TSX, I feel like I should comment on something I read above about the top-end of the GSR. I don't know if the '98 has a pre-set top end, but I have personally had mine to 155 mph more than once and it was still climbing (slowly, but still climbing). I plead the 5th on if it was on the track or not...
Hmm...I find that as hard to swallow as the origional post. The "theoretical" top speed on a gs-r (taking into account gear ratios and rev limit, etc) is 161 mph. Not only would it take a while to hit this speed, but you would need to be ina vacuum to do it. The air resitance will stop you from getting even close to this.

So assuming you are not lying, then i would suggest that your speedometer is inaccurate (which is very common especially at high speeds), you were going downhill, or there was a strong tailwind. (or all of the above).

I think realistically the gs-r will top out around 145-150. (and yes 5 mph means alot).

If you are curious, the theoretical top speed in the TSX is 173mph.
Old 03-22-2004 | 08:46 PM
Instructor

i could've sworn i read somewhere in this forum that the limit on the TSX was like around 133 or something.
Old 03-22-2004 | 10:00 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally posted by dabuda2004
sheesh. this story made me roll my eyes too many times.
first off, not to proud of this (i was once a young fool), my friends' gs-r (95) topped out at 147, and it took a looonnng way to do it.

puh-leeese, this story is ridiculous, and if you REALLY did beat that car, he can't drive either, b/c he should have smoked you.

yea, you can read this and roll your eyes all you want, i don't care. you shouldn't be going triple digit speeds anyway. i read someone say that they don't want to see you hurt your tsx, i don't want to see you KILL an innocent person or yourself.

i admit, i used to think street racing was cool, and now i realize that it's idiotic and shameless. what would have happen if one of you two hit a car with a baby in the backseat?!?

you ever stopped and think what would happen if some moron hit a car with someone that you love the most?!? your family, your girlfriend, best friend whoever. then they died in that accident b/c some moron wanted to fulfill his so called "dream" race. is it really worth it?!? what is their to prove? even if your car is faster, is it worth risking everyone else's lives out there. do us all a favor and keep it off the streets and keep it off the forums.
Old 03-23-2004 | 08:21 AM
Cruisin'

All I can say is I have nothing to prove or lie about; just telling you what my car can do. If it helps w/ the gear ratios I can tell you that redline in 3rd is 97 mph and 4th is 125 mph...I've never gotten past 155 mph (getting a little scary at that speed) to find out the "true" top-end in 5th.
Old 03-23-2004 | 09:49 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally posted by RayRay10
All I can say is I have nothing to prove or lie about; just telling you what my car can do. If it helps w/ the gear ratios I can tell you that redline in 3rd is 97 mph and 4th is 125 mph...I've never gotten past 155 mph (getting a little scary at that speed) to find out the "true" top-end in 5th.
well actually, i wasn't trying to single you out, in fact, it was more directed at the creator of the thread, whoever it was, i meant my comment to be more of a general statement towards the reckless street racing that people do.

there are enough accidents out there as it is, going in speeds excess of 100 mph only increase the chance of a more fatal accident. but yea, i know your gsr can do those numbers, my friend's gsr redlined third around 100 or so mph, basically same as what you're saying...it's crazy though, and well, he doesn't drive that fast anymore either.
Old 03-23-2004 | 10:16 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Tireguy
I concur, I looked into what a stock GSR can do and no wonder it didn't keep up. The top speed from the factory is 130, so at 140-145 its no surprise they didn't keep up.

Who said the top speed from the factory is 130??

130MPH is 209KMPH. I had buried the needle my 98 stock GS-R to 240KMPH which is 149MPH a few times. I know its been mentioned but the top speed of a GS-R should be anywhere between 145-150MPH max. The TSX's top speed should be about the same.
Old 03-23-2004 | 10:43 AM
LOUD NOISES!!

Speaking from the point of view where i am the one that has to go scrape up the people that have their dream races, it might be great to go fast, but not when you are on public roads. I have seen far too much loss of life, Come to the morgue one day i will show you case after case of stupid people with nice cars and huge egos that wound up on a slab.... is it really worth it?? i doubt it. I used to be foolish and think that racing was great until you see what can really happen, now i am thinking all show, no go. I would rather turn heads, than kill but thats just me
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by TSX CSI
Speaking from the point of view where i am the one that has to go scrape up the people that have their dream races, it might be great to go fast, but not when you are on public roads. I have seen far too much loss of life, Come to the morgue one day i will show you case after case of stupid people with nice cars and huge egos that wound up on a slab.... is it really worth it?? i doubt it. I used to be foolish and think that racing was great until you see what can really happen, now i am thinking all show, no go. I would rather turn heads, than kill but thats just me
I'm of the same mind now as well. I don't speed anymore period. One for safety reasons and two because I'm afraid to get caught and have our already high insurance premiums get to where I can't afford to drive anymore. The fastest I go on our highways is 120km/h. The limit is 100 but 120 is generally the accepted speed. If the limit is 80 or 60 thats the speed I travel at.

As far as thinking its now "all show and no go" the TSX is the perfect car for us
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:10 AM
Photography Nerd

I just try to keep up with traffic. If you hop on the 407 doing 100 you'll probably get rear ended. I was cruising at 120 yesteday and I was being passed like I was standing still. Hell, cops cruise at 140 on that highway.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:23 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Toronto is a strange place that way. If you are not VERY comfortable, you have no place on the highways here. Its also one of the few places where you are expected to go above the speed limit, and cxan cruise by a copy at 20 over and not get pulled over.

And ya, 120 on the 407 is slow; stay in the far right lane if you plan to drive that speed. Personally I drive between 120-140 on all hwys if traffic permits. IMO that is a safe speed.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:33 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

If you guys ever come up Hwy 50 just watch your speed. Its 80 up until you pass Mayfeild then the speed drops down to 60. Do the limit, there are cops on 50 24/7. I see cops on 50 7 days a weeks at least twice a day, no word of a lie. Be extra careful after you pass Mayfeild. They have no tolerance for anything above 60.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:37 AM
Instructor

sometimes we forget...

The higher the travel speed, the greater the risk of serious injury or death in a crash. Vehicles and their occupants in motion have kinetic energy that is dissipated in a crash. The greater the energy that must be dissipated, the greater the chances of severe injury or death. The laws of physics tell us that crash severity increases disproportionately with vehicle speed. A frontal impact at 35 mph, for example, is one-third more violent than one at 30 mph.

Crash severity increases by the square of the speed so that, when speed increases from 40 to 60 mph, speed goes up 50 percent while the energy released in a crash more than doubles.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:38 AM
Photography Nerd

I'm pretty anal about driving in the right lane. The left lane is for PASSING ONLY which a lot of people don't seem to understand. I have heard people argue that "I was doing 130km/h in the left lane. Nobody should pass me, that's fast enough". I felt like tearing up their license.

For any long distances I ususally set the cruise at 120 and lay back and relax. For short trips where I'm pretty aware of speed traps I'm regularly up around the 130-140 mark depending on conditions.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:46 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

But what tees me off is when I travel at 80km in a 80km zone in the right lane of a two lane road and still having people get pissed at you once they have the opportunity to pass you in the left lane after being stuck behind you.

I'm doing the speed limit, but apparently its not acceptable to some people who feel we should all speed.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:47 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Dan Martin
I'm pretty anal about driving in the right lane. The left lane is for PASSING ONLY which a lot of people don't seem to understand. I have heard people argue that "I was doing 130km/h in the left lane. Nobody should pass me, that's fast enough". I felt like tearing up their license.
Old 03-23-2004 | 11:51 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Dan Martin

For any long distances I ususally set the cruise at 120 and lay back and relax. For short trips where I'm pretty aware of speed traps I'm regularly up around the 130-140 mark depending on conditions.

I agree with you Dan.........Just not as much as fdl does
Old 03-23-2004 | 02:26 PM
Kickstand

Ok...if this guy was at 140 redlining 5th he has a different car cause when I was doing 140-145 I was in 6th with 600-700 RPM left before 7200RPM

DISCLAMER: I do not endorse driving at high speeds on public roadways. Please drive at your own risk without endangering the lives of bunny rabbits
Old 03-23-2004 | 03:31 PM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

Originally posted by Jab31169
Ok...if this guy was at 140 redlining 5th he has a different car cause when I was doing 140-145 I was in 6th with 600-700 RPM left before 7200RPM

DISCLAMER: I do not endorse driving at high speeds on public roadways. Please drive at your own risk without endangering the lives of bunny rabbits
hmmm. i wonder where everyone is going 140 or 145 mph? man! and apparently the canadians drive in excess 120+ mph crusin. man us florida drivers must be slow, i'm on the highways at 70 or 80 mph, depending where and when, but never even close to 100...in fact, when i see someone going that fast, i think they're crazy, but 140 is really crazy.

Quick Reply: smoked a gsr on the freeway