Petition to STOP all this NASCAR footage on Speed Channel

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Apex Clipper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Petition to STOP all this NASCAR footage on Speed Channel

Please play your part and sign up so we can maybe get the footage of real racing footage 24/7 like when they use to be SpeedVision and not NASCAR whores...

I'm #8367

link to petition to cut down on nascrap on the speedtv channel sign it if you want don't if you don't. that is all....
http://www.petitiononline.com/SpdTV/petition.html
Old 01-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Racer

#8422 here. Great idea!!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Racer

nice
Old 01-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how fun it is when your racing in a circle??? Can someone try to convince me, because driving in a circle is frankly kind of stupid when your doing 20 -30 laps of it!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
Signed....bring back some the BTCC, DTM, F1, WRC etc. SpeedVision was more interesting about 12 years ago.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
#8533... EVERYONE MUST SIGN UP... I'm copying all my buddies on this too.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Luke 1:37

How can anyone be so into Nascar when you just loop around a track that doesn't even have turns??? That's the simple redneck life I guess...
Old 01-25-2006, 07:31 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Considering NASCAR owns Speed Channel, I doubt this petition is going to have much effect.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Cruise Missile Lobber

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Considering NASCAR owns Speed Channel, I doubt this petition is going to have much effect.
I think Dan may have the Trump card
Old 01-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Still worth voicing an opinion though.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Registered Schmegistered

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 01-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Killjoy
Old 01-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro

Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 AM
send me a link to JDM??

they are still affected by the viewing public though I'm sure they don't care too much either way; whichever one makes them more money. I know they want to promote NASCAR obviously but if they start playing all Nascar on the Speed Channel and viewership goes down 20%, they start losing ad value, and get tons of petitions like this I bet they would take the NASCAR off, no matter what they own

At least I hope so
Old 01-25-2006, 10:08 AM
send me a link to JDM??

Plus, that's just depressing That's like saying why vote if you are a republican in NY, you should still speak your mind! That's what our country is all about!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TSX.Fury
Plus, that's just depressing That's like saying why vote if you are a republican in NY, you should still speak your mind! That's what our country is all about!

You left out PA and CA.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mav3556
I don't see how fun it is when your racing in a circle??? Can someone try to convince me, because driving in a circle is frankly kind of stupid when your doing 20 -30 laps of it!!!
<DISCLAIMER> I'm no NASCAR fan, but...

F1/GP is more fun to watch, but NASCAR is tougher racing.

In NASCAR, the fact that the course is so simple means that everyone can really hang it out, so there are many more drivers going about the same speed at the front. This makes for a much greater challenge when you want to pass or even break away. You have to be significantly better than the others to get any kind of advantage on them, and then they can just tuck into your draft and save gas anyway.

In F1 racing, the drivers often get hung up on slower drivers and have to wait a lap or two to pass. When they do pass, it's often spectacular and impressive, but the fact is that the best drivers spend a lot of time just sitting in, waiting for the right opportunity.

Still though, I'll never watch a NASCAR race, but for the drivers, it's a huge challenge.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
ALMS + Speed WC > *
Old 01-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

#8911 lets get this crap off TV
Old 01-25-2006, 11:47 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by mav3556

Watch the last 10-15 laps of a Nascar event. I know some people like having the race decided by the end of the first lap **cough**F1**cough** but there's something to be said about a Fight to the finish.

Still signed the petition. # 8926.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:52 AM
TSX: Boeing Dreamliner!

Nascar is car racing. F1 is cart racing.

I like watching cars race.

Sorry, I'm not signing....I'm so glad most F1 is in the morning when live because it doesn't take away from real car racing which is more evenly matched.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:58 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
#8941! I have been complaining about this since I moved back to the states from england.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:09 PM
vt alumni

If youve never been to a race then you can't bash it too much. Its definetly an awesome experience and they let you bring in your own beer. Can't beat that.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Safety Car

My signing isn't necessarily a statement against NASCAR and for F1. I do enjoy the technological freedom they have in F1. What I do miss however, are alot of the touring car/WRC coverage the station used to air. They still do to some extent, but NASCAR takes up so much of their programming now.

If they can't do that, then at least make NASCAR a better representation of what American's drive....let's face it, GM/Ford/Dodge are no longer the best-sellers in the fam sedan category. Its Honda and Toyota now. Unfortunately, the good ol' boy culture of NASCAR allows this misrepresentation to persist. Throw in some other manufacturers and more road racing, and I'll watch.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
My signing isn't necessarily a statement against NASCAR and for F1. I do enjoy the technological freedom they have in F1. What I do miss however, are alot of the touring car/WRC coverage the station used to air. They still do to some extent, but NASCAR takes up so much of their programming now.
TOTALLY AGREE!! I'm not at all against NASCAR, but I don't need a NASCAR Preview, Week-in-Review, Post-Race Review, etc etc.

I think NASCAR takes as many variables out of the equation as it possibly can and then forces a driver to make a win happen. I just want a mix of DTM, BTCC, F1, WC during the good hours of the weekend. I'm lucky to have a DVR, but I don't know even know when most of the races are on b/c there are nothing but NASCAR ads repeatedly.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Nick

I'm 9227 ...I'm gonna play $5 on that tonight

We should take up a collection to buy Speed, then we can change it.

Originally Posted by moda_way

You left out PA and CA.

When I lived in the city of Phila, it was mostly democrats. Where I've lived in PA for the past 25+ years only 15min from downtown Phila, republicans rule and always have ...even though based on predicted demographics that could eventually change
Old 01-25-2006, 04:14 PM
Pro

If they can't do that, then at least make NASCAR a better representation of what American's drive....let's face it, GM/Ford/Dodge are no longer the best-sellers in the fam sedan category. Its Honda and Toyota now. Unfortunately, the good ol' boy culture of NASCAR allows this misrepresentation to persist. Throw in some other manufacturers and more road racing, and I'll watch.
Not exactly true. Just check the truck series and you will see Toyota now racing with the (well known by NASCAR fans) absolute intention of fielding a car team in the junior circuit and the big boys later on. I used to follow F1 back when it was more competitive and less political. As to going round & round v. "real racing" just look at Indy racing and its drop in popularity/ratings. I think you will be seeing both Honda and Toyota in NASCAR sooner v. later. The major hurdle will be the engine guidelines and rules compliance. Believe me when I say that NASCAR would LOVE to have Honda & Toyota on board and they feel the same way ($$$$$$$'s) - ratings rule the TV world.

Lastly NASCAR's popularity is growing & growing with more races outside the Bible belt v. the old days. I find it somewhat disingenuous for some people to put something down without having any personal experience other than their own bias or condescension. And yes I looked in the mirror before I expressed that comment.

Some of you are starting to sound a little too much like a BMW owner.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Still Water
Not exactly true. Just check the truck series and you will see Toyota now racing with the (well known by NASCAR fans) absolute intention of fielding a car team in the junior circuit and the big boys later on. I used to follow F1 back when it was more competitive and less political. As to going round & round v. "real racing" just look at Indy racing and its drop in popularity/ratings. I think you will be seeing both Honda and Toyota in NASCAR sooner v. later. The major hurdle will be the engine guidelines and rules compliance. Believe me when I say that NASCAR would LOVE to have Honda & Toyota on board and they feel the same way ($$$$$$$'s) - ratings rule the TV world.

Lastly NASCAR's popularity is growing & growing with more races outside the Bible belt v. the old days. I find it somewhat disingenuous for some people to put something down without having any personal experience other than their own bias or condescension. And yes I looked in the mirror before I expressed that comment.

Some of you are starting to sound a little too much like a BMW owner.
Yes, its well known that Toyota runs in the Craftsman Truck Series. And after having read an article in Road and Track detailing how a good number of factions in that series did not want to give Toyota or Waltrip any sort of support doesn't help the point you were trying to make with this fact. Yes even friends and those who had helped him in the past did not take too kindly to a foreign manufacturer entering the series- hence the "good ol' boy" stereotype. I don't see it being any easier trying for Toyota or Honda to try and get into the bigger races. As for $$, Im sure NASCAR in no way matches anything Honda or Toyota can make being in F1 (with the additional benefit of a halo effect and the engineering gains from competing with other premier constructors).

On your second point -sure its growing out past the Bible Belt. Why do you think were even having this discussion? But having a petition such as this, doesn't that tell you its not reaching out far enough? The Cali 500 is in my backyard and I could care less. NASCAR still only caters to the Bible Belt (and places like Fontana...Fontucky as Jim Rome calls it, for good reason). Why would it turn its back on its primary consituency? In the case of this petition, I would hope it could broaden its audience or step aside.

On your last point - I am a previous BMW owner and if you are implying that is in someway elitist, you could be right. However, having a preference for road races, technology, and foreign manufacturers to play a role in racing, how is that condescending? How is a need for change a personal bias?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
This isn't about NASCAR against F1; this is about NASCAR having way too much air time that it's crowding out great racing like the WRC, World Challenge, ALMS, etc. I don't particularly care for F1 these days since they've made it into a joke.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
This isn't about NASCAR against F1; this is about NASCAR having way too much air time that it's crowding out great racing like the WRC, World Challenge, ALMS, etc. I don't particularly care for F1 these days since they've made it into a joke.
I agree fully. I used to follow open wheel racing back to Jack Clark, Jackie Stewart, Mario and all the rest of the old Indy drivers. As for NASCAR I started watching it back on ABC's Wide World of Sports when it was all in the Red Neck Nation. I spent a year with David Hobbs as our lead driver (Driving the 1st BMW ground effect car BTW) when the company I worked for sponsored an IMSA car and... rant, rant, rant. All I'm saying is good racing is good racing and you are selling yourself short if you like good, hard competitive racing and you out of hand dismiss NASCAR. That's all. They have worked real hard at making NASCAR the most fan friendly and accessable "sport" currently vying for the sport fan's $'s.

I didn't mean to hijack the tread here and in fact would like to see more hard racing, autox and all types of racing on the tube. But not at the exclusion of any one type.

And in the spirit of good fun and having thicker skin... (CarbonGray Earl) good call on my part about being a BMW owner. And please don't get your panties all in a knot, I'm just funning you here. Time will tell about Honda & Toyota. NASCAR has always been about fighting and cheating on one day and the best of buds the next. It's part of its appeal.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Apex Clipper

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004

+1
I actually watch NASCAR twice a year when they actually take right turns.
I don't mind having all things motorsports, including NASCAR, on Speed', but when it hogs up like 85-90% of the airtime... that's just rediculous!

BTW, thanks to everyone who signed up and took a stand.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonGray Earl
Yes, its well known that Toyota runs in the Craftsman Truck Series.
I heard on NPR yesterday that Toyota is fielding three NASCAR teams to race the Camry in the Nextel cup and Busch series.
http://sema.autoblog.com/2006/01/25/...r-toyota-team/

Funny that they'll be running carburated V-8s in a "Camry"
Old 01-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Canyonball
+1
I actually watch NASCAR twice a year when they actually take right turns.
I don't mind having all things motorsports, including NASCAR, on Speed', but when it hogs up like 85-90% of the airtime... that's just rediculous!

BTW, thanks to everyone who signed up and took a stand.
And if ever NASCAR makes it to the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, I'll be the first to buy my ticket to go watch that race. The track is in complete contradiction with the NASCAR race cars.. should be fun to watch.

Anyway, I signed in. For me, the no-coverage of the Dakar is just a big insult. Dakar is to rally-raid racing what Indy is to US openwheel racing, what Le Mans is to endurance racing, and what Monaco is to F1.

Simply unacceptable the way motorsports outside of NASCAR is handled right now in North America.

IMO, someone somewhere will open their eyes and see the whole internationnal racing market slot left empty by Speed TV.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by waterrockets
I heard on NPR yesterday that Toyota is fielding three NASCAR teams to race the Camry in the Nextel cup and Busch series.
http://sema.autoblog.com/2006/01/25/...r-toyota-team/

Funny that they'll be running carburated V-8s in a "Camry"
I believe Toyota tried to get into NASCAR about 10 yrs ago but was unsuccessful. I'm glad they are doing it... long overdue.

Originally Posted by sauceman
Anyway, I signed in. For me, the no-coverage of the Dakar is just a big insult. Dakar is to rally-raid racing what Indy is to US openwheel racing, what Le Mans is to endurance racing, and what Monaco is to F1.

Simply unacceptable the way motorsports outside of NASCAR is handled right now in North America.

IMO, someone somewhere will open their eyes and see the whole internationnal racing market slot left empty by Speed TV.
100%
Old 01-26-2006, 10:33 AM
Pro

From a half-full glass point of view, I think in the good 'ol US of A motorsport racing is in the ascent. World-wide established and newly formed racing events are drawing bigger & bigger crowds. So it seems to me that given enough motivation the powers that be in the TV world will try to satisfy the growing demand. Bigger bucks means more toys to use. For those of you who haven't seen it, onboard and in car cameras in NASCAR have really gone a long way to putting the viewer in the driver's seat. This technology and that to come can do nothing but help grow the consumer's identification with their chosen venue. Perhaps the better solution to the question at hand is to add more and varied TV programs rather than fight over limited minutes.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Nick

Anybody wanna buy stocks in my new company "The World Rally Channel" ? As soon as we have it funded, we'll have our own TV channel and give away an all expense paid trip to each race to one lucky viewer.

...also soliciting investment in my "The SCCA Channel"

Please note that past stock performance does not guarantee similar future returns.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Still Water
From a half-full glass point of view, I think in the good 'ol US of A motorsport racing is in the ascent. World-wide established and newly formed racing events are drawing bigger & bigger crowds. So it seems to me that given enough motivation the powers that be in the TV world will try to satisfy the growing demand. Bigger bucks means more toys to use. For those of you who haven't seen it, onboard and in car cameras in NASCAR have really gone a long way to putting the viewer in the driver's seat. This technology and that to come can do nothing but help grow the consumer's identification with their chosen venue. Perhaps the better solution to the question at hand is to add more and varied TV programs rather than fight over limited minutes.
Still carrying this on there, chief? I can agree that NASCAR has taken HUGE strides in their multimedia presentation, but the racing, the car tech, etc is still boring to me and others on this board.

I reiterate, I still would rather see less NASCAR in its current state on Speed or change NASCAR to bring it forward into the times. Token road races, no leading manufacturer of family sedans and 4 speed trannies (is this still the case?) mean no viewing from me. And yes, the good ol' boy culture persists - this by no means racist nor a commentary on its viewer base, but a jab at the conservative NASCAR sanctioning body that won't change - you might have taken that the wrong way from my original post.

BTW, to reply to your "panties in a bunch" jab, or to venture further on what being a Bimmer owner/admirer is, would bring the level of this discussion down. Suffice it to say, that sort of stuff is uncalled for, so chill out.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TOTALLY AGREE!! I'm not at all against NASCAR, but I don't need a NASCAR Preview, Week-in-Review, Post-Race Review, etc etc.

I think NASCAR takes as many variables out of the equation as it possibly can and then forces a driver to make a win happen. I just want a mix of DTM, BTCC, F1, WC during the good hours of the weekend. I'm lucky to have a DVR, but I don't know even know when most of the races are on b/c there are nothing but NASCAR ads repeatedly.
Why there isnt a Nascar channel yet is beyond me...
Old 01-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro

Chill out was my original point. I am not in the habit of trying to insult or offend anyone. I'm sorry you took it that way. BTW - Just a small point of order and I'll let this die a graceful death. The last 5 NASCAR champs have not been good old boys and I for one would very much like to see more racing of all sorts on the tube. What I was trying to get across was that others can learn from what NASCAR has done right and help deliver a product that all of us can enjoy. All racing is good, more racing is better.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:01 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
I believe Toyota tried to get into NASCAR about 10 yrs ago but was unsuccessful. I'm glad they are doing it... long overdue.
I still think Toyota has too much money. Why would a company that has no production vehicle with a push-rod engine go out of their way to build push-rod engines just for the NASCRAP races???

Call me crazy, the only thing I like to see in NASCRAP is the spectacular crashes.

Quick Reply: Petition to STOP all this NASCAR footage on Speed Channel