Focus SVT put me to shame

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the thing: you should have known better when you bought this car. You should have listed your priorities and bought the car that suites your needs. When you have a budget that affords you a TSX ($34000+ CAD, $26000+ US), you have plenty of options (WRX, Mazda 6, Accord v6 coupe, and others).

If your priority list is as follows:

1) speed
2) anything else

then you made a bad choice in cars.

If your priority lists "speed" BELOW the following:

- refinement
- class
- quality
- handling
- DAMN good looks

then you bought the right car.

Think about it: would you be happier if you traded your TSX for a WRX (prices of these two are pretty much the same)?

If so, then get rid of your TSX, cut your losses, and buy a faster car for yourself.

[not to be mean, but its tiresome listening to people complain about how the TSX lacks power.]
Old 11-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Autoweek has pretty accurate numbers. I consider myself a very average launcher, and still managed a 7.4 0-60, and 15.4 @ 91mph.

But there are definitely factors playing in for a good launch.

1. Has to be an MT. AT: -1.5secs 0-60
2. Take the VSA off. VSA on: -0.5 secs 0-60
3. Launch at 3500, slip clutch, pedal to metal during shifts, shift only at 7400. Grandma launch: -0.5 secs 0-60

If he missed any of this or all of these, it's a driver thing. An SVT should not have the upper hand against a TSX with a good driver. But then again, since the TSX is really heavy, you really have to be very ruthless, yet very precise to get that "rig" moving.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:16 PM
No Longer a Poseur

My feeling on this is that the TSX is all about Luxury Sport (in that order).

TSX is aimed at the "Pre-elite" luxury crowd who want a very luxurious vehicle that still offers a smidgen of sport, at a reasonable price.

Yes, the car comes with 200 HP, but as part of the Luxury mandate, that power is to be delivered *smoothly* and with grace.

If you wanted a 200 HP beat-you-the-hell-up-handling, white-knuckle, boy-racer car, you should have bought something else.

I'm sorry if it sounds like we're beating up on you, but it just sounds like you're not "getting" what the TSX is all about....
Old 11-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Racer

Originally posted by MikeMa
...TSX is aimed at the "Pre-elite" luxury crowd who want a very luxurious vehicle that still offers a smidgen of sport, at a reasonable price...
C'mon now, there is more than a "smidgen" of sport in the TSX, don't you think?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by the_peel
Here's the thing: you should have known better when you bought this car. You should have listed your priorities and bought the car that suites your needs. When you have a budget that affords you a TSX ($34000+ CAD, $26000+ US), you have plenty of options (WRX, Mazda 6, Accord v6 coupe, and others).

If your priority list is as follows:

1) speed
2) anything else

then you made a bad choice in cars.

If your priority lists "speed" BELOW the following:

- refinement
- class
- quality
- handling
- DAMN good looks

then you bought the right car.

Think about it: would you be happier if you traded your TSX for a WRX (prices of these two are pretty much the same)?

If so, then get rid of your TSX, cut your losses, and buy a faster car for yourself.

[not to be mean, but its tiresome listening to people complain about how the TSX lacks power.]

Well said peel. I'll admit there are the odd moments when I wish I was driving something like a WRX. But for the other 99% of the time I am very happy I;ve got my TSX. If I had a WRX perhaps I would be disgusted by the interior 50% of the time?

There arent any cars in this price range which could be considered perfect, so all will have their shortcomings.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:20 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by sauceman
Autoweek has pretty accurate numbers. I consider myself a very average launcher, and still managed a 7.4 0-60, and 15.4 @ 91mph.

But there are definitely factors playing in for a good launch.

1. Has to be an MT. AT: -1.5secs 0-60
2. Take the VSA off. VSA on: -0.5 secs 0-60
3. Launch at 3500, slip clutch, pedal to metal during shifts, shift only at 7400. Grandma launch: -0.5 secs 0-60

If he missed any of this or all of these, it's a driver thing. An SVT should not have the upper hand against a TSX with a good driver. But then again, since the TSX is really heavy, you really have to be very ruthless, yet very precise to get that "rig" moving.
This is the technique that I've used and I'm getting very similar numbers to what you're showing. I think you're being a little conservative with the -0.5 secs for VSA because I bet it's closer to 1.5secs. I get some wheelspin from 1-2 shift and sometimes a little chirp going into 3 but with the VSA on it retards the engine performance and really slows down the rest of the run. The 3500rpm launch with a little bit of clutch slip does the trick every time.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:48 PM
No Longer a Poseur

Originally posted by tsx-mdxman
C'mon now, there is more than a "smidgen" of sport in the TSX, don't you think?
Okay...so probably more than a smidgen...probably a bucket or two. But, I have yet to drive this car! I'm sure it rocks. I'm trying not to tempt myself before I can actually afford it!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:34 AM
Subie Tech

I used to have a 1999 5spd 323i. I raced a Foucs SVT. I killed it with ease. And I'm pretty sure the TSX could take the 323i. Not by much. But at least won't be left behind. So how the hell would ths TSX lose by that much? I know the TSX isn't suppose to be fast. I'm same as fdl. I was going to get a WRX. But then I wanted to comfort. I mean, how often are you really going to use all that horsepower? When you're getting to work and getting off work and be stuck in traffic? Trust me. I'm into tuning cars. I know the TSX isn't fast. But with a nice set of coilovers. On the track that SVT will have nothing on you. Plus. There is fun to stright line racing? Since when with a Honda? Just get a Mustang SVT which costs a lot less than the TSX.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by JeffTSX
I used to have a 1999 5spd 323i. I raced a Foucs SVT. I killed it with ease. And I'm pretty sure the TSX could take the 323i. Not by much. But at least won't be left behind. So how the hell would ths TSX lose by that much? I know the TSX isn't suppose to be fast. I'm same as fdl. I was going to get a WRX. But then I wanted to comfort. I mean, how often are you really going to use all that horsepower? When you're getting to work and getting off work and be stuck in traffic? Trust me. I'm into tuning cars. I know the TSX isn't fast. But with a nice set of coilovers. On the track that SVT will have nothing on you. Plus. There is fun to stright line racing? Since when with a Honda? Just get a Mustang SVT which costs a lot less than the TSX.
the TSX will have nothing on the SVT on the track, drive one of those things, look at their track times... a TSX is a sporty 4dr. sedan, it is not close in handling to the SVT or the class its in.. handlingwise the SVT is on par with Mazda Speed, GT-S and a bit behind a mini...
Old 11-18-2003, 12:53 AM
More On

Back in July when we started up again, I was the main one saying we should get Gilbo back -- We need Gilbo! We need Gilbo! And a coupla people..... OK, about a million people..... thought it was nuts, all Gilbo does is dish TSX and do his Bimmer thing, the same thing all the time, the same thing all the time, who needs that, it's a pain in the butt.

But you know, I was right. He's a fuckin' riot, ain't he?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by larchmont
Back in July when we started up again, I was the main one saying we should get Gilbo back -- We need Gilbo! We need Gilbo! And a coupla people..... OK, about a million people..... thought it was nuts, all Gilbo does is dish TSX and do his Bimmer thing, the same thing all the time, the same thing all the time, who needs that, it's a pain in the butt.

ah thanks...i feel so welcomed it's just funny how some people think a Special Vehicles Team Ford Focus would get left behind by a TSX on the track
Old 11-18-2003, 08:43 AM

Hell ya!! I like to see some of his posts and think !! Always good to have a Bimmer fan in the house !
Old 11-18-2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by gilboman
ah thanks...i feel so welcomed it's just funny how some people think a Special Vehicles Team Ford Focus would get left behind by a TSX on the track
My first car sales job after I sold my dealers lot was at Ford. The Focus SVT is fast and handles great. I still wouldn't want to be seen driving one. Kinda like a fat chick.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:04 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally posted by JeffTSXJust get a Mustang SVT which costs a lot less than the TSX.
JeffTSX, according to autonet.ca and msnautos.ca the Canadian MSRP of the SVT Mustang is $46.655. How is that less than the $34,800 MSRP of the TSX?

Originally posted by LarchmontBack in July when we started up again, I was the main one saying we should get Gilbo back -- We need Gilbo! We need Gilbo!
Sorry Larch but I was the main one who was saying we need Gilbo.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...rch+and+Rescue

As you see, it was me who started the "Gilboman search and rescue" thread. I can't let you take all the credit Larch although you were intrumental in his return
Old 11-18-2003, 10:10 AM
More On

Originally posted by domn
.....Sorry Larch but I was the main one who was saying we need Gilbo.

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...rch+and+Rescue

As you see, it was me who started the "Gilboman search and rescue" thread. I can't let you take all the credit Larch although you were intrumental in his return
OK, but remember, it was me who created the internet.

Well, you did some research and so did I!

And I said it first!!!! Check it out:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=6989#post6989

But OK, I'm happy to let you be the one to take responsibility for Gilbo being here.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
My first car sales job after I sold my dealers lot was at Ford. The Focus SVT is fast and handles great. I still wouldn't want to be seen driving one. Kinda like a fat chick.
lol

edit: and how did you score on that going to hell test? lol
Old 11-18-2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by jcg878
lol

edit: and how did you score on that going to hell test? lol
Well... let's just say it wasn't over 200
Old 11-18-2003, 10:35 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

OK, but remember, it was me who created the internet.

Well, you did some research and so did I!

And I said it first!!!! Check it out:

http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/show...=6989#post6989

But OK, I'm happy to let you be the one to take responsibility for Gilbo being here.
Damn, foiled,

Now that I think about it. That thread may be what inspired me to create the "Gilboman Search and Rescue" thread. That will show me to try and question you Larch :'(

Then again, why would I even want to be the one who was responsible for Gilbo's return. You can have all the credit for bringing back that BMW lovin Acura hater

Who you planning on bringing back next Larch? BeingIS300? Adam Floozie or maybe Driveline
Old 11-18-2003, 10:44 AM
More On

No, just stay here myself.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:50 AM

No, just stay here myself.
Everyone has to have goals
Old 11-18-2003, 10:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by KC 2004 TSX
Everyone has to have goals
And thats a pretty lofty goal. Then again what would Larch do with the 23:58 hrs he'll have free if he stops visting this site.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Ok guys, sorry i havent been in front of a computer in awhile.
I drive a 6MT and i know how to drive it. I attended the ride and drive for Acura with the TSX, 325i and A4.
Again, i`m not a racer but when you have some little shit next to you in a frickin focus---then your animal instincts will come out. And it burned me....smoked the tires and all....
he had not one mod except for a K&N. We talked at 711. The car is alot lighter and is sport-tuned. i am aware of everything you guys are telling me. But its just annoying to be beaten by a ford when i have owned fords for most of my life. i had a better launch the second time and it was a tad closer. But he still had me by probably a tick. i also had 2 people in my car while he had no one which also played a huge factor. I dont have any complaints about the tires, they are fine for the car. Wheels need to be lighter, but whatever.
Lets get another thing straight....i bought the TSX for the prestige, luxury and performance combo. Everything i wanted in car. i was willing to sacrafice power for the aray of anemities the TSX has. i love the car. I dont want a frickin neon, mazda 6, focus or any other piece of platic out there. The TSX is all about quality and i am totally aware of that. I am very pleased with acceleration at speed, but off the line is obvioulsy sluggish. Vtec is pumped to high. and maybe a part of me does regret not going for the STI. But i feel i am liitle better then most of people i am driving next to just because i am in the TSX.
Everyone will understand when you get embarrased like i did.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Pro

"i also had 2 people in my car while he had no one which also played a huge factor"

BINGO. Thats a 10-15% reduction in your power/weight ratio (depending on your friends' weights). If you had true friends, they would have gotten out at the stoplight so you could defend your manhood unhindered.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:58 PM
Banned

THIS THREAD IS DEPRESSING. MODS PLEASE LOCK.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by TSX Hokie
"i also had 2 people in my car while he had no one which also played a huge factor"

BINGO. Thats a 10-15% reduction in your power/weight ratio (depending on your friends' weights). If you had true friends, they would have gotten out at the stoplight so you could defend your manhood unhindered.
hahahhahahahhaha.....
Old 11-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NJtsx
But i feel i am liitle better then most of people i am driving next to just because i am in the TSX.
You shouldn't.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:53 PM

If u bought the TSX for speed and are disapointed something is wrong with you. That is like the Focus driver buying it for luxury and disapointed in it.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Originally posted by sauceman
You shouldn't.
Shouldn`t what?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:34 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You had 2 poeple in your car? Do you realize how much of a difference that makes??

I think we have figured out the problem.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:24 PM
Subie Tech

Originally posted by gilboman
the TSX will have nothing on the SVT on the track, drive one of those things, look at their track times... a TSX is a sporty 4dr. sedan, it is not close in handling to the SVT or the class its in.. handlingwise the SVT is on par with Mazda Speed, GT-S and a bit behind a mini...
What car do you drive may I ask? If do you not drive either. Then why do you even bother making comments? If you haven't REALLY tested them both cars. Then PLEASE DO NOT make any remarks. Cause how do you know it's faster or not? Only cause your good old magazine tells you? Please. Races like these, the driver counts too. My friend and I took an 98 Civic Si coupe and went to track. Dusted a 99 Type-R. 200bhp vs 127bhp. I'm not doubtling you that the SVT will smoke the TSX. In fact, I know it will. Stright line only. If you give the TSX the same tires that the SVT does. I'm sure it'll be a close and nice race. Oh btw, the mazda speed uses macphearson front and back. Don't even start with me.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Burning Brakes

What car do you drive may I ask? If do you not drive either. Then why do you even bother making comments? If you haven't REALLY tested them both cars. Then PLEASE DO NOT make any remarks. Cause how do you know it's faster or not? Only cause your good old magazine tells you? Please. Races like these, the driver counts too. My friend and I took an 98 Civic Si coupe and went to track. Dusted a 99 Type-R. 200bhp vs 127bhp. I'm not doubtling you that the SVT will smoke the TSX. In fact, I know it will. Stright line only. If you give the TSX the same tires that the SVT does. I'm sure it'll be a close and nice race. Oh btw, the mazda speed uses macphearson front and back. Don't even start with me.
i've test driven them... ask anybody who follows the import performance market, even they will be able to tell you a SVT Focus is slow in a straightline but very good around a track...when i test drive a car...i REALLY drive them, not just a block around the dealer, especially with cars such as SVT and mazda MP3's... you are smoking some serious crack if you think just because a mazda speed uses struts at all 4 corners means it wont hand a TSX its ass aroudn a track......
Old 11-18-2003, 11:42 PM
Subie Tech

It's okay. I guess you just don't see my point.
Have a nice day!!!

oh btw. you speak as if you're an expert. How long have you been in the import market?
Old 11-18-2003, 11:59 PM
such a dirty birdy

Is anyone considering the possibility that Mr. My-Focus-has-no-mods could be fibbing a bit? :o

And I'm surprised no one picked up on that Focus Terminator article. Holy Sh*t! 500hp V8 in a Focus SVT?

iwantiwantiwantiwant

I dunno, I just spent the weekend in a rented Ford Explorer. Maybe I just have a case of "Ford-brain" or something....
Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Teh ?

Focus SVT is a great vehicle and I'm guessing that it would probably out perform the TSX in many catagories concerning track performance. But to compare a TSX to a SVT?! That would be like comparing a Lexus LS with a Corvette, it wouldn't make sense. A sedan is designed primarily to be a people mover, and then a sports car. An SVT is a pocket rocket with absolutely no creature comforts. My friend in Belgium just purchased a Focus RS and got rid of his old M3 (he said it was an impulse buy), and he kept telling me about the performance and handling, but when I asked him about the ergonomics of the car and such, he said that was the biggest disappointment for the price he paid.

I had my Integra back when I was younger and it was my lil' racer that could burn most stocks around town (Pueblo, CO, by the way), but I started to grow up and found that I yearned for my old Audi sedan comforts, even if I got burned by some high school punk (like I was in the day). I think the TSX would be such a car, for those of us not concern so much as to having the fastest in the block, but something that I can take to see my girlfriend's parents.

Junkster, who is going to Europe next summer to see this Focus RS in Belgium.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Shouldn`t what?
You shouldn't feel better than anyone just because you have a TSX. If something material you have makes you feel like you are a better person then you have a serious problem!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:25 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

My friend and I took an 98 Civic Si coupe and went to track. Dusted a 99 Type-R. 200bhp vs 127bhp.
That TypeR driver must of been horrible because there's no way on gods green earth that a 127HP Civic can take a TypeR. I had a 00 Civic Si and it was'nt even in the same leauge as my old GS-R so I'm not sure what happened in your track experience?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Subie Tech

Originally posted by domn
That TypeR driver must of been horrible because there's no way on gods green earth that a 127HP Civic can take a TypeR. I had a 00 Civic Si and it was'nt even in the same leauge as my old GS-R so I'm not sure what happened in your track experience?
EXACTLY. See. Drivers count A LOT during a race. Oh btw, that same day. A buddy of mine with a Dakota R/T pick up smoked a LOT of cars. And some times it's not always about power. You know? Anyways. It doesn't matter to me. I like the TSX cause it's got some kinda class in it. If anything I'll just take the RSX-S and we'll see what happens. MAHAAHAHA
Old 11-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Didn't '98 Civic Si's have 160hp? The Type-R still should have won, but it's a bit less ridiculous.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:07 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
Didn't '98 Civic Si's have 160hp? The Type-R still should have won, but it's a bit less ridiculous.
Canadian Si's have 127HP. (US EX) Our SiR was the 160HP car.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Ok guys, sorry i havent been in front of a computer in awhile.
I drive a 6MT and i know how to drive it. I attended the ride and drive for Acura with the TSX, 325i and A4.
Again, i`m not a racer but when you have some little shit next to you in a frickin focus---then your animal instincts will come out. And it burned me....smoked the tires and all....
he had not one mod except for a K&N. We talked at 711. The car is alot lighter and is sport-tuned. i am aware of everything you guys are telling me. But its just annoying to be beaten by a ford when i have owned fords for most of my life. i had a better launch the second time and it was a tad closer. But he still had me by probably a tick. i also had 2 people in my car while he had no one which also played a huge factor. I dont have any complaints about the tires, they are fine for the car. Wheels need to be lighter, but whatever.
Lets get another thing straight....i bought the TSX for the prestige, luxury and performance combo. Everything i wanted in car. i was willing to sacrafice power for the aray of anemities the TSX has. i love the car. I dont want a frickin neon, mazda 6, focus or any other piece of platic out there. The TSX is all about quality and i am totally aware of that. I am very pleased with acceleration at speed, but off the line is obvioulsy sluggish. Vtec is pumped to high. and maybe a part of me does regret not going for the STI. But i feel i am liitle better then most of people i am driving next to just because i am in the TSX.

All i got to say is , Your an idiot

My reasons why: My good friend has a Focus SVT with direct air on it. I have the 6mt with a direct air. We race all the time because our cars are pretty evenly matched. We will be neck and neck until we hit about 50, thats when I take him. Look for yourself look at the specs on a SVT and TSX they are about the same.

Specs don't like PEOPLE DO

Quick Reply: Focus SVT put me to shame