Focus SVT put me to shame

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Automobile Aficionado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Focus SVT put me to shame

Ok....now i am pissed about the TSX power. i love the car and have hardly no complaints. Just power and torque!!! So far none of these crap add ons will do anything for a gain in HP.
Anyway, here`s my adventure. Last night i pulled up neck and neck to a Ford Focus SVT at a red light. Not to sure but i think somewhere between 150 and 170 HP. And $21,000. As the light turned green the dam focus kicked my ass. I had no chance. Next light he rolled down the window, and this little puck kid told me he`ll give me a head start. I laughed and said whatever. Light turned green( he gave me ahead start-prick!) and i really pushed the TSX to the limit. AND THE FUCKUS KICKED MY ASS AGAIN. After about 3 mile of getting ashamed, we both pulled into sevan elevan and talked. He has No ADD ONS!! I know the air induction is prety impressive on the SVT vehicles, but still we supposedly have 200 hp and i feel like sometimes i am driving a frickin corolla. i would never drive a focus but GOD DAMN! someone help me. Any one out there no what to do about power. I consider myself pretty educated in the modification scene., but their is nothing out there(that is worth it). i am getting impatient, where`s the turbos?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you wanted a street racer, you picked the wrong car. If you try to race every car you pull up next to, you're going to lose more times than not. The TSX's performance is on par with other cars in its class. But the SVT Focus isn't in this class...it's a mini-muscle car or a "pocket rocket". Sure it only has 170hp and 145lb/ft but it also weighs 500lb less than the TSX and is specifically designed for racing...nothing else. Whereas TSX is about class, comfort and handling.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

i belive a SVT focus can come with a Super charger and they make around 200 hp.
pick your battles wisely, dont race people you dont know if you can beat, or better yet just dont race. save yourself a lot or embarrassment and tickets to say the least.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Instructor

I don't think the SVT focus is FI'ed.....I believe that there is an RS model that is supercharged...but only available in Austrialia....correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 11-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Automobile Aficionado

First of all, I`m not a street racer. But this supposed"sport sedan" doesnt live up to it`s 200hp. i font want to race this car(thats what my 98 mustang GT is for). But it definatley needs alittle more "umpf"
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 AM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
owned!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Registered AssHat

Originally posted by NJtsx
First of all, I`m not a street racer. But this supposed"sport sedan" doesnt live up to it`s 200hp. i font want to race this car(thats what my 98 mustang GT is for). But it definatley needs alittle more "umpf"
Horsepower is not everything.

The Focus SVT makes 170hp and 145 lb-ft of torque. Over all a 15% HP and 12.6% torque deficit. It weighs 12.3% less. In the end, close to the same amount of power to weight.

Gearing aside, the TSX will still be slower off the line...you still have the inertial mass of the car to get it up and going to begin with. Now if you actually went up to 100 to 120 mph, you might start catching up, but the TSX will always have a disadvantage here.

Still, you shouldn't have lost that much. The tires and your shifting probably worked against you.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:18 AM
The Voice of Reason

Was the SVT Focus a silver one?

From Autoweek ... "Accurate Technologies Inc., based in Wixom, Michigan, took delivery of a Focus SVT and started asking the “more power” question. A stock SVT is an entertaining package with a high-compression 2.0-liter inline four with 170 hp and 145 lb-ft of torque. That’s great for the class but sedate even when compared to the base V8-powered, 260-hp and 302-lb-ft Mustang GT"

Anyway, you can guess what they did here!

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...2045&record=30

If the rear tires of the Focus weren't smoking, is your TSX a manual or an automatic?

I'd consider the performance of my car, well, "adequate".

It's a lot easier to chirp the TSX's tires than it is with my Volvo which has 36 more hp. Embarrassing, in fact, to chirp 'em shifting into second since I'm not racing anyone!
Old 11-17-2003, 11:20 AM

...But this supposed"sport sedan" doesnt live up to it`s 200hp. ...But it definatley needs alittle more "umpf"
The car is fine. If you want to race Ford Focus SVT's you need to get yourself, as said up top, a "Pocket Racer". You say you don't want to race, but you really do... Deep down your fast and now that you lost your a little furious.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:25 AM
Automobile Aficionado

Re: Was the SVT Focus a silver one?

Originally posted by bob shiftright
From Autoweek ... "Accurate Technologies Inc., based in Wixom, Michigan, took delivery of a Focus SVT and started asking the “more power” question. A stock SVT is an entertaining package with a high-compression 2.0-liter inline four with 170 hp and 145 lb-ft of torque. That’s great for the class but sedate even when compared to the base V8-powered, 260-hp and 302-lb-ft Mustang GT"

Anyway, you can guess what they did here!

http://www.autoweek.com/search/searc...2045&record=30

If the rear tires of the Focus weren't smoking, is your TSX a manual or an automatic?

I'd consider the performance of my car, well, "adequate".

It's a lot easier to chirp the TSX's tires than it is with my Volvo which has 36 more hp. Embarrassing, in fact, to chirp 'em shifting into second since I'm not racing anyone!
The focus was just a plain black SVT with no mods. My buddy works for ford as a saleman and they just got in a new Focus but still not as fast as the SVT. i oove the TSX, and yes i love the thrill of a race and after owning a 94 Cobra, 99 Ford Lightning and 98 Mustang GT(still have), i can see how the TSX wont match up. I guess just alot of getting used to.
Drifting

Originally posted by Lung Fu Mo Shi
Horsepower is not everything.

It weighs 12.3% less. In the end, close to the same amount of power to weight.
i think this is kind of important. i used to sit there while my husband gutted out his CRX prior to swapping in a b16 into it, and i didn't know what he was doing, and he said that he was getting the weight-to-power ratio down. it can make a difference. the TSX is not a light car, weighing in at 3200+ lbs, whereas the SVT Focus is around 2600+. it may not be everything, but it should factor in.
Three Wheelin'

Since when does "sport sedan" mean "really fast off the line"? I think the term "sports sedan" is generally used for cars that are quick and responsive...cars that handle well. Hell, the 3 series created this niche and it (the 325) wouldn't have handled an SVT Focus any better. Bottom line is, you want off the line performance, drive a sports car...that's not what the TSX is about or ever claimed to be no matter how much you piss and moan about it. :P
Old 11-17-2003, 11:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Was the SVT Focus a silver one?

.....is your TSX a manual or an automatic?.....
This should have been the first question. If you have an auto, you're :busted:

The 6MT should do OK based on Lung Fu's numbers (Read: given equal drivers, the Focus will still beat the TSX). Just because you have HP doesn't mean you win the race. I think we all need to realize that the TSX is a VERY HEAVY CAR WITH MEDIOCRE TIRES before we start trying to race every car we see. I'd go at it with an SVT Focus just to see what'd happen, but I wouldn't expect to win. If you want to win drag races, buy a Neon SRT-4 or a WRX. You'll murder that Focus (and lots of other cars).
Old 11-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

the Focus SVT's are fast little cars...they have a nice powercurve and lots of pull starting down low, and they will outhandle a TSX too...but thats to be expected.. its a Factory Tuned sporty hatchback compared to a entry luxury sedan of course you will lose.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Automobile Aficionado

WRX STI is where its at.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:54 AM
Instructor

WRX STI is where its at.
Do you regret not buying one?

It's one thing to lose a race of the line. It's entirely another to pass the same car on the next on-ramp

If you're questioning the TSX as a sports sedan, keep in mind that either a 325i or an A4 would likely lose the same race to a Focus SVT as well...
Old 11-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Advanced

well

You never did answer the guys question is yours a auto or 6mt? I raced one on the freeway and beat it? I'm sure it could beat me off the line though. You also said that he had no mods? How do you know by just looking at the car? You also said that the guy gave you a head start...lol.... he obviously had shit done to his car to catch back up to you let alone beat you. If you have a Auto its a wonder why you lost. I had one for a loaner car when my 6mt was in the shop and my lord what a slow car.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:20 PM
2004 TL Owner

hopefully we'll have forced induction options in the next few months... TC or SC... I could see Comptech makin a SC for the TSX... you never know!
Old 11-17-2003, 01:06 PM
The extra b is for byobb

there will be a jackson racing SC in the near future, start saving your dimes now.. personally, I'm cutting my hooker visits to one per week. :-* :'(
Old 11-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Pro

Re: Focus SVT put me to shame

Next light he rolled down the window, and this little puck kid told me he`ll give me a head start. I laughed and said whatever. Light turned green( he gave me ahead start-prick!) and i really pushed the TSX to the limit. AND THE FUCKUS KICKED MY ASS AGAIN.
Why can't you just be happy that you were the one driving the Acura TSX and not the one stuck in the Ford Focus! There are a million cheap, plastic souped up cars out there that will outperform many of todays higher priced luxuary sport sedans, but take a look (inside and out) and tell me what the heck you would ever want one for. How these souped up Lancers, Focus' & Neons' appeal to anyone over 18, who are not living with their parents and playing video games 24/7 is beyond me. Even the WRX, great performer, but that is one ugly ass plastic looking car.

You showed you had some class when you bought the TSX, now show some next time you are at a red light.

P.S. You stopped at that 7-11 for gas, he stopped because that is where he worked...
Old 11-17-2003, 01:32 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Focus SVT put me to shame

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy

P.S. You stopped at that 7-11 for gas, he stopped because that is where he worked...
Old 11-17-2003, 01:36 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I agree with what Buff-Daddy said.

But, how much exactly did you lose by? The best times I''ve seen for a focus SVT is 7.1 and 15.5 which are similar to the best numbers we've seen for a TSX. Again these are only mag numbers but its interesying to know how badly you lost. It looks like the 6Sp TSX is more like a 8 sec car than a 7 sec car. And are you a ^MT or Auto?

But I'm sure the results would have been much different on the highway. I had a Neon RT up my ass on the highway two weeks ago, he oulled up beside me and were both at about 100KM, I hit the gas and was at 160km in no time and he simply could'nt keep up. Then again, I'm not 100% sure he was trying to but it looked it he was and then again he only has 150HP but I still enjoyed pulling on him.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Buff-Daddy
Why can't you just be happy that you were the one driving the Acura TSX and not the one stuck in the Ford Focus! There are a million cheap, plastic souped up cars out there that will outperform many of todays higher priced luxuary sport sedans, but take a look (inside and out) and tell me what the heck you would ever want one for. How these souped up Lancers, Focus' & Neons' appeal to anyone over 18, who are not living with their parents and playing video games 24/7 is beyond me. Even the WRX, great performer, but that is one ugly ass plastic looking car.

You showed you had some class when you bought the TSX, now show some next time you are at a red light.

Old 11-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Audi Driving Snob

yeah tsxs definitely aren't race cars off the line. But they are pretty qucky when moving as witnessed by passing times etc.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:52 PM
Suzuka Master

So......

6MT or Auto? That would clear up a lot.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:12 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Ya 6mt or auto.

If the guy gave you a head start you should have won. Dont blame the car, blame yourself.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by fdl
...If the guy gave you a head start you should have won....
...not if he has an auto.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:20 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
...not if he has an auto.
Yes, but then in that case he should still be blaming himself
Old 11-17-2003, 02:30 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by ClutchPerformer
So......

6MT or Auto? That would clear up a lot.
Autoweek gives 0-60 7.38 for the TSX and 7.32 for the SVT, 1/4 mile of 15.6@89.7 for the TSX vs. 15.72@88.4 for the SVT. With the same transmissions and similar drivers they should be neck-in-neck!

Again, was there smoke coming from the SVT's rear tires? Or at least a gas bottle and tubing in the back seat?

If it was AT vs. manual that explains everything. As it is, assuming manual vs. manual I'm baffled.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:32 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

I love my TSX and would'nt trade it for anything else out there, but damn do I ever wish it came with the 3.0L 240HP Accord engine. And its not an issue of being able to beat Focus's and Spec-V's its an issue of knowing you at least can.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:35 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Autoweek gives 0-60 7.38 for the TSX and 7.32 for the SVT, 1/4 mile of 15.6@89.7 for the TSX vs. 15.72@88.4 for the SVT. With the same transmissions and similar drivers they should be neck-in-neck!

Again, was there smoke coming from the SVT's rear tires? Or at least a gas bottle and tubing in the back seat?

If it was AT vs. manual that explains everything. As it is, assuming manual vs. manual I'm baffled.
I really don't think mag numbers factor in here at all. There's no doubt the Focus is quicker, but just how much quicker is what was never really explained in great detail.

Did they even race to 60? They may have raced to 40 and called it a race, the heavier TSX may have been behind by 3 cars at 40? who knows what really happened there.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Rarrrrrrrr!!!!!!

hey did you remember to turn VSA off?
Old 11-17-2003, 02:54 PM
The Voice of Reason

Originally posted by domn
I really don't think mag numbers factor in here at all. There's no doubt the Focus is quicker, but just how much quicker is what was never really explained in great detail.

Did they even race to 60? They may have raced to 40 and called it a race, the heavier TSX may have been behind by 3 cars at 40? who knows what really happened there.
Do we disagree? The SVT might be faster but shouldn't have sucked the TSX's doors off!
Old 11-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Inspired

Re: Focus SVT put me to shame

Ok....now i am pissed about the TSX power. i love the car and have hardly no complaints. Just power and torque!!! So far none of these crap add ons will do anything for a gain in HP.
Anyway, here`s my adventure. Last night i pulled up neck and neck to a Ford Focus SVT at a red light. Not to sure but i think somewhere between 150 and 170 HP. And $21,000. As the light turned green the dam focus kicked my ass. I had no chance. Next light he rolled down the window, and this little puck kid told me he`ll give me a head start. I laughed and said whatever. Light turned green( he gave me ahead start-prick!) and i really pushed the TSX to the limit. AND THE FUCKUS KICKED MY ASS AGAIN. After about 3 mile of getting ashamed, we both pulled into sevan elevan and talked. He has No ADD ONS!! I know the air induction is prety impressive on the SVT vehicles, but still we supposedly have 200 hp and i feel like sometimes i am driving a frickin corolla. i would never drive a focus but GOD DAMN! someone help me. Any one out there no what to do about power. I consider myself pretty educated in the modification scene., but their is nothing out there(that is worth it). i am getting impatient, where`s the turbos?
Alright, as has been stated the TSX is not about power. Get an Intake, new header and exhaust and add a bit of HP. But if you want all out racing. Get a CRX, drop a 1.8 GS-R engine, turbo and THEN find that Focus
Old 11-17-2003, 03:02 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Do we disagree? The SVT might be faster but shouldn't have sucked the TSX's doors off!
Exactly. We need more detail !!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kenbiddulph
Alright, as has been stated the TSX is not about power. Get an Intake, new header and exhaust and add a bit of HP. But if you want all out racing. Get a CRX, drop a 1.8 GS-R engine, turbo and THEN find that Focus
Or just buy the Neon SRT4 if you want to be a street racer. If you want a fast car, buy a fast car.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by domn
I love my TSX and would'nt trade it for anything else out there, but damn do I ever wish it came with the 3.0L 240HP Accord engine. And its not an issue of being able to beat Focus's and Spec-V's its an issue of knowing you at least can.
Lier, you know you want to go out and race, don't ya!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Yeah i think it was the driver. I dont know why he wont answer weather it was a stick or auto? The number are pretty much the same and the TSX is faster on the freeway. Whatever this guy is retarded obviously.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:29 PM
That blowed up real good!

I learned not to race the TSX after I lost to a VR6 Golf.

I know the new GTI is rated at 200 hp/195 lbs.ft, but I think this car was the older model rated at 174 hp/??? lbs.ft. (anyone know this figure??)

GH
Old 11-17-2003, 07:14 PM
6th Gear

yeah, i dont see me racing too much in the tsx.

if its something relatively fast, I'll prolly lose.
if its a stock dx or the like, i dont want to waste my time.

i love my car, its georgous and interior is second to none in its class. but damm its slow....

Quick Reply: Focus SVT put me to shame