Windshield Wiper Fluid Nozzle Stuuuuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Wiper Fluid Nozzle Stuuuuck

Ok it snowed, sleeted and rained (not in that order) here in NY and once again, my Driver's side Wiper Fluid nozzle is clogged (or frozen?). I cleared away the outside ice but nothing is coming out. This happened the last time we had weather like this. I poured some hotwater over the nozzle thinking maybe there is some ice built up inside?

Can anyone recommend some easy solutions? Its annoying.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you using winter washer fluid? If not, you might have to wait until it goes above freezing, for it to thaw out.

If you ARE using winter fluid, it's normally resistant to freezing down to at least -30*C (no idea what that is in *F). It's damn cold though.

Have you tried running the engine for a while, hood closed, car stationary? Maybe the nozzle will thaw out with the heat from the engine?

Also, there is a slight chance that a small piece of debris made its way through the tubing to the nozzle. You can use a safety-pin to poke into the nozzle hole - see if that helps. Just try to avoid re-aiming the nozzle with the pin.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
Intermediate

sorry to bring up an old post. My driver side windshield nozzle stopped working today when I needed it the most! It's especially nasty on the road after a snow storm. BTW, I still have the original washer fluid that came with the car 3 years ago. I always thought washer fluid has some antifreeze in it. Fortunately, the passenger side windshield nozzle is still squirting strong.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:30 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alex16882
sorry to bring up an old post. My driver side windshield nozzle stopped working today when I needed it the most! It's especially nasty on the road after a snow storm. BTW, I still have the original washer fluid that came with the car 3 years ago. I always thought washer fluid has some antifreeze in it. Fortunately, the passenger side windshield nozzle is still squirting strong.
Check for debris (as I mentioned in my previous post from years ago. ) and also check that the connection didn't become disconnected at the nozzle. Open the hood and examine the tubes that feed the nozzles, making sure there isn't a crack or disconnect.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:33 AM
Burning Brakes

This happened to me, also, just during this past storm... At first, neither were working.... then the passenger side started... eventually (over a day later) the driver's side decided to work.... and we had done all the obvious checks... it wasn't frozen, there was no debris or anything in the way of it. Nothing clogging it that we could see from our stop on the side of the road. You always notice these things when you need them the most, driving down the road meeting tons of large vehicles slinging buckets of muddy slush on your windshield. It's not like this happens at home sitting in your driveway where you have the opportunity to diagnose the problem and fix it.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Intermediate

This occurred to me this morning on my way to work. Driver side nozzle nothing, Passenger side works fine.

I, too, am using whatever the dealer puts in the car (30K miles)

I will attempt pouring hot water over the nozzle, and checking hoses.

I'd like to empty the fluid reservoir, is there a way to empty it short of using the nozzles for an hour? I'd like to change out the current fluid with a winter fluid.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can take off the bumper to get to the reservior. Or you can just mix in some winter solution wiper fluid. It should mix with the regular stuff and provide some freezing point depression.