Windshield Washers Freeze Easily?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Big Block go VROOOM!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windshield Washers Freeze Easily?

Is the windshield washer system (pump, plumbing, or nozzles) prone to freezing up easily on the TSX? Mine seemed to have completely konked out at the beginning of the month. I took the car in for the trunk wiring recall and asked them to look at the washers. They told me they worked fine. When I picked the car up, they were working. By the time I got home (40 minutes later in 23 degree F weather) the washers weren't working again.

We had half-way decent weather in the Chicago area right up until Christmas time. Because of this, I did a complete and topped off the reservoir with the usual generic blue washer fluid. That, combined with the fact that the dealer had my car inside when I picked it up, pretty much leads me to believe that I have crappy washer fluid and something is freezing up somewhere.

A) Has anyone else experienced this on their TSX? I've had freezing washer fluid on other cars but it's always pumped and just frozen on the windshield. I've never had a car where the windshield washer plumbing has frozen to the point it didn't work.

B) Can anyone think of a way to easily get rid of the old fluid so that I can put some Winter stuff in?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Joga Bonito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That happened to me once and I think I used a hairdryer to warm up the fluid lines. Course it was b/c I forgot to drain the summer fluid. I would try warming it up a bit and then just use it all up completely. Also when it was completely frozen no damage was done, it just didn't work for a while. That all being said, are you sure it isn't the nozzles or the pump that isn't working? Perhaps someone put in plain water. I only use the blue stuff now, year round.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, you really need to switch over to the winter windshield washer fluid. The fluid being frozen is one thing. But the washer pump can crack under those condition. My Toyota truck had the exact problem. The washer system was fine until winter came along and the pump stopped working. Upon inspection, the entire pump body was cracked in pieces, a $60 item. ouch!
Old 01-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Racer

you should really order the windshield wiper/washer heater from acura. its great. it will keep all of your cars exposed components toasty warm when its sub zero outside.

they also make a heater for the stick shift. i know its metal and annoys people alot when it gets cold out. ive seen lots of people ask 'is it just me or does the tsx shifter get too cold, is there a fix for this and is acura aware', and low and behold, acura has developed a stick shift warmer. it goes on your hand and fits all 5 fingers... usually made of wool and comes in an assortment of colors with the Acura logo embroidered on the top. genius!

i am such an ass sometimes
Old 01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
No Longer a Poseur

When I bought my EL 4 years ago, I swear they put like 1/2 water 1/2 fluid in the thing....the stuff looked very watery. Now that I have 100% blue stuff in there, I'm 95% certain that they gave me some mix....this stuff you can smell the chemicals, and it foams a bit...the other stuff didn't smell much at all and never produced foam.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Tuxedo Cat

Originally Posted by clearlycanadian
I only use the blue stuff now, year round.
You have to read the bottle though. Lots of the blue stuff is only good to 30 degrees. For winter driving you need the winter fluid (which comes in lots of different colors, BTW).
Old 02-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's never been frozen for me, but I've started using the orange Rain-X stuff. It's pretty good. A little more expensive, but it's nice to get a Rain-X app everytime you use it.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Been through the same weather conditions as you...close enough.. Never had that problem with mine...