Windshield rattles -- 1 week at Acura for repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield rattles -- 1 week at Acura for repair

Brought my 04 MT with Navi in for it's first oil change at 4K miles. Asked them to look at an alignment problem and rattle from the Windshield.

Three days later, and possibly after taking the entire dashboard apart (conflicting stories from dealer) they tell me I need a new windshield.

I've seen other posts about rattling windshields, but has anyone else had their windshield replaced? How about taking the dashboard apart? Makes me nervous.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by davidct
Brought my 04 MT with Navi in for it's first oil change at 4K miles. Asked them to look at an alignment problem and rattle from the Windshield.

Three days later, and possibly after taking the entire dashboard apart (conflicting stories from dealer) they tell me I need a new windshield.

I've seen other posts about rattling windshields, but has anyone else had their windshield replaced? How about taking the dashboard apart? Makes me nervous.
Davidct...Call your dealer ASAP and have them call Acura! There should be an official fix for the rattling / creaking issue soon.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Quattro in.....

Post #7 from this thread indicates they had their windshield replaced and the dealer installed a new windshield with brand new urethane and moldings:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hield+replaced
Old 11-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Viking
Post #7 from this thread indicates they had their windshield replaced and the dealer installed a new windshield with brand new urethane and moldings:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hield+replaced
My dealer is refusing to do that. I spoke to them this morning and they are sure that Acura is developing new moldings for the TSX to fix the problem.

No ETA yet.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Racer

I brought mine in last week with the windshield problem. They said they were going to re-set the windshield and and "pinch" some spot welds in the cowl.

When I picked it up it had a new windshield in it and there was also some moulding listed on the invoice as being replaced. It has not been too cold here to tell if the problem has been fixed.

davidct were are you from and what dealer did you go too?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:14 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by wsklar
My dealer is refusing to do that. I spoke to them this morning and they are sure that Acura is developing new moldings for the TSX to fix the problem.

No ETA yet.
Did you check with another dealer to verify this? Better yet ask for their regional Acura service manager so you can check with them to see when this fix is coming. Your dealer may just not want to do the work According to TSXCG, his dealer said it is a common problem and this is the best fix, so it sounds like his dealer has no problem doing it.

I understand if they say there is an offical fix coming out, I'd wait for that, but I'd want to confirm with someone else that there is a fix coming out and the dealer isn't just holding off on doing the work that other dealers seem to be doing hassle free.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

damn, no wonder everyone calls the tsx a rattle box
Old 11-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by dzuy
damn, no wonder everyone calls the tsx a rattle box
I don't have these issues, knock on wood.

Just like to help out fellow A-TSXers.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Troutslap Mod-DUH-rator

I don't have these issues, knock on wood.

Just like to help out fellow A-TSXers.
neither do i .

do you have parchement? then knock on wood grain
Old 11-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Go Giants

Did you check with another dealer to verify this? Better yet ask for their regional Acura service manager so you can check with them to see when this fix is coming. Your dealer may just not want to do the work According to TSXCG, his dealer said it is a common problem and this is the best fix, so it sounds like his dealer has no problem doing it.

I understand if they say there is an offical fix coming out, I'd wait for that, but I'd want to confirm with someone else that there is a fix coming out and the dealer isn't just holding off on doing the work that other dealers seem to be doing hassle free.
No, I trust this guy. He has fixed every other rattle so far.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by o3jeff

davidct were are you from and what dealer did you go too?
I'm from Connecticut and the car is at a local dealer (well respected dealer from the home work I did before purchasing from them).

Found out today the Windshield has arrived but the molding has not. Looks like we're going in to next week now, with the Holidays and all.

I asked several times about the weather and how to guarantee the replacement windshield will be as good as the original (without the rattle). They told me it will be better than new, and they use only original Acura parts.

Am I paranoid? An Acura should tick well beyond 100K miles, and I am/was planning for that.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Go Giants

I'm from Connecticut and the car is at a local dealer (well respected dealer from the home work I did before purchasing from them).

Found out today the Windshield has arrived but the molding has not. Looks like we're going in to next week now, with the Holidays and all.

I asked several times about the weather and how to guarantee the replacement windshield will be as good as the original (without the rattle). They told me it will be better than new, and they use only original Acura parts.

Am I paranoid? An Acura should tick well beyond 100K miles, and I am/was planning for that.
The molding is what they are producing now.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:51 PM
blb
7th Gear

My TSX has rattles that sound like they are coming from the junction between the cowl and both the A-pillar and the windshield. I get the rattles only when the outside temperature is below 55 to 60 degrees or so, and only when the air is dry. If it is warm outside or raining, the car sounds and feels solid as granite. Is that the same thing you are describing as a windshield rattle? Do the dealers have service bulletins on this?
Old 11-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by blb
My TSX has rattles that sound like they are coming from the junction between the cowl and both the A-pillar and the windshield. I get the rattles only when the outside temperature is below 55 to 60 degrees or so, and only when the air is dry. If it is warm outside or raining, the car sounds and feels solid as granite. Is that the same thing you are describing as a windshield rattle? Do the dealers have service bulletins on this?

Yes.
Soon, but not yet.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Racer

To let you know, the new windshield they installed in my car has the "Made in Japan" to be removed by end user sticker on it.

When I went to pick mine up it looked like they did the windshields on one or two other TSX's, probably for the same problem.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Go Giants

To let you know, the new windshield they installed in my car has the "Made in Japan" to be removed by end user sticker on it.

When I went to pick mine up it looked like they did the windshields on one or two other TSX's, probably for the same problem.
Did they say this would be a good fix?
Old 11-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wsklar
Did they say this would be a good fix?
They seem to think that resetting or replacing the windshield with the new molding will fix it, I am just waiting for the cooler weather to find out if did.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Racer

They also fixed the cowl under the hood were we were sticking shims. It is now tight and
I can hardly move it.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:09 PM
Go Giants

They also fixed the cowl under the hood were we were sticking shims. It is now tight and
I can hardly move it.
Sounds good. My dealer won't do any work until they get some new moldings from Acura. My noise is horrible still, I have pried and jammed everything I can think of and I am tired of doing it. It really does ruin the driving experience for me, but right now I am laughing at it (much like the people of Springfield laughed at the comet coming for them because they were going to shoot a missile at it) because I think it will soon be fixed.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Since the dealer only orders the glass, and has a third party come in to install it... I hope they let the sealer fully cure/dry in the shop and not stick it out in the 30 degree weather to freeze.

I've not seen my car in over a week.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:11 AM
Racer

That is unusual that they took your car in without having the parts there. When I called to tell them about the problem, they made an appointment that was 3 weeks away so they had the parts and a loaner car for me.