The Windshield Noise FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,234 Likes on 823 Posts
The Windshield Noise FAQ

Affected Models: 2004 and 2005 TSX 2004 Honda Accord

Problem Description: Noise coming from the windshield. Noise has been described by members as clicking, creaking, squeaking, rattling, ticking, tapping

The noise is sometimes confused with the dashboard rattle and the moonroof header rattle.

The noise can’t really be pinpointed to any specific location of the windshield. Members had said that it comes near the sunglasses holder, others say it’s by the wipers, some say by the rearview mirror.

Environmental Variables: Noise is loudest when cold and dry (less than 55 degrees Fahrenheit) and doesn’t occur when warm or when raining. Noise usually occurring when going over bumps (the larger the bump, the louder the noise).

Status – According to Precision Acura in Princeton NJ, Acura is currently working on a permanent fix (as of 12/2/04). The fix involves replacing (re-engineering the molding around the windshield)

Dealer Attempted Fixes:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=126

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=152

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=156

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=162

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=200

Owner Attempted Fixes:
Chrome Strip by kcf7z https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=25

Wedge Fix by o3jeff
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=101
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=135

Push on molding by wiper - trsx226
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=138

Related Threads:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=windshield

Old 12-02-2004, 08:52 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice compilation.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent post wsklar.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just experienced this for the first time. i think mine's being caused by cold weather. damn....
Old 12-03-2004, 06:34 AM
Go Giants

Thanks - I will add news (hopefully good) as it comes.

Instead of posting things like "I have the same noise" on this thread, lets post useful info such as: Here is what I did to fix it, My dealer fixed the noise by or my dealer gave me status on the noise...

Thanks again...
Old 12-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Quattro in.....

Great job wsklar!
Old 12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Advanced

good job. Heres my story. I have the clicking/tapping noise coming from windshield/dashboard area. Brought it to dealer, could'nt replicate noise but they added extra insulation around windshield anyway. Noise went away for a bit (maybe it just wasn't cold enough) but now is back in full force. Now im back in square one. What surprises me is that the dealer sounds like theyve never heard of this issue before. And I know they are lying coz it seems a lot of tsxs have this problem.

Could it be the a-pillar is loose? That part between the front window and the windshield. Is that whats it called? I tried tapping it and it seems like its making the same noise.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by wanggo
good job. Heres my story. I have the clicking/tapping noise coming from windshield/dashboard area. Brought it to dealer, could'nt replicate noise but they added extra insulation around windshield anyway. Noise went away for a bit (maybe it just wasn't cold enough) but now is back in full force. Now im back in square one. What surprises me is that the dealer sounds like theyve never heard of this issue before. And I know they are lying coz it seems a lot of tsxs have this problem.

Could it be the a-pillar is loose? That part between the front window and the windshield. Is that whats it called? I tried tapping it and it seems like its making the same noise.
Other have though that it could be the A-Pillar, but there has been no confirmation.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:25 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
mine just started last night.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:31 PM
blb
7th Gear

In mine, the noise comes from both the A-pillar and the dash, where they both meet the windshield. I don't think it is the A-pillar itself, but something chafing against them. The windshield padding, or lack thereof, is the best explanation I have heard for the noise.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I'm the Firestarter

Received 711 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by wanggo
What surprises me is that the dealer sounds like theyve never heard of this issue before.
Same here, I even asked them "is this something you see a lot" and they just shake their head. But my neighbor just recently took in his TSX to try to get this issue fixed TWICE, to the same dealership. With all the people posting here I have no clue how neither the dealers nor Acura can have no explanation or acknowledgement for these squeeking and rattle issues.

Either this issue is more rare than we make it seem, or Acura and/or dealers are trying to deny it (but of course they try to fix it free of charge on an individual basis, although it's kind of pointless when it's so hard to reproduce consistently).

Would be nice to get some answers from Acura!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:15 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Belzebutt
Same here, I even asked them "is this something you see a lot" and they just shake their head. But my neighbor just recently took in his TSX to try to get this issue fixed TWICE, to the same dealership. With all the people posting here I have no clue how neither the dealers nor Acura can have no explanation or acknowledgement for these squeeking and rattle issues.

Either this issue is more rare than we make it seem, or Acura and/or dealers are trying to deny it (but of course they try to fix it free of charge on an individual basis, although it's kind of pointless when it's so hard to reproduce consistently).

Would be nice to get some answers from Acura!
When I first brough mine in around Oct. my dealer said he never heard of the issue. About 2 months later, he said he had a lot of people come in with the same issue.

I don't think it's a rare issue. I am calling the dealer today to check status.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Racer

To update you guys, I had my car in a couple weeks back for this problem and they replaced the windshield, "spot welded" the cowl below the windshield and replace some trim around the windshield.

The noise has been gone since they did this and the past few mornings have been dry and cold (20/30 degrees). Hopefully this solved my problem.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by o3jeff
To update you guys, I had my car in a couple weeks back for this problem and they replaced the windshield, "spot welded" the cowl below the windshield and replace some trim around the windshield.

The noise has been gone since they did this and the past few mornings have been dry and cold (20/30 degrees). Hopefully this solved my problem.
Great news. Dealer didn't call me back today.....
Old 12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

I just dropped off my TSX at the dealer for the windshield creaking problem. They said they will be replacing the windshield and problem is the molding sealing the windshield. Since most of the time the windshield breaks when it is taken out they are just going to replace it. Until then I am driving a 04 TL loaner. The dealer just used the last windshield in stock so I might have a few days of driving the TL until they get another windshield in.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Go Giants

Dealer told me some clips are needed and hopefully will be in next week.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:23 PM
Jewdacris!!

I had the creaking in the winter but after i had my XM installed, they put the antenna in between the dash and window and it seems like the sounds has gone away. Not sure if it was just a coincedence or if it fixed it, but if thats the case it seems like something in between the two surfaces might help.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Leith Acura in Cary has the FIX!

They knew right away what the issue was. According to them they were the 1st dealer to report to Acura the issue.

Anways, call your dealer and have them order Windshield Moldings and Clips.

The problem is that the clips have 3 'settings' on them. If the installer doesn't press down on them until it 'clicks' 3x then they are going to come loose.

Unfortunatley, its impossible to remove them w/o breaking them, so they have to be replaced.

This was bothering me for the past 3 months. The technician who took a drive with me heard it right away, stopped the car and examined the windshield molding - which actually extends from the windshield all the way back to the rear glass. He pressed down on it in a few places, and i actually haven't heard the noise since. Although i am having the parts replaced anyways. According to the techie, they've done this for about a dozen cars and its fixed the problem permanently for all.....I'll let you know what happens after the fix is applied.

Interestingly enough, they also mentioned that 9x out of 10, the problem is with teh passenger side molding.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by wvu1999
They knew right away what the issue was. According to them they were the 1st dealer to report to Acura the issue.

The problem is that the clips have 3 'settings' on them. If the installer doesn't press down on them until it 'clicks' 3x then they are going to come loose.

Unfortunatley, its impossible to remove them w/o breaking them, so they have to be replaced.

This was bothering me for the past 3 months. The technician who took a drive with me heard it right away, stopped the car and examined the windshield molding - which actually extends from the windshield all the way back to the rear glass. He pressed down on it in a few places, and i actually haven't heard the noise since. Although i am having the parts replaced anyways. According to the techie, they've done this for about a dozen cars and its fixed the problem permanently for all.....I'll let you know what happens after the fix is applied.

Interestingly enough, they also mentioned that 9x out of 10, the problem is with teh passenger side molding.
My dealer is waiting on the clips, I will pass this info over. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wvu1999

thanks for the info. Im going back to my dealer tomorrow and tell them about this. Hopefully, they'll recognize the problem. One question, exactly what area did the techie press that made the noise go away? Im not gonna do it, i'll let him find out but i'll point it out to him. thanks
Old 12-08-2004, 06:47 PM
7th Gear

I hope to pickup my TSX tomorrow. Dealer replaced the molding and the clips. It going to leave it outside tonight and test tomorrow AM whilst it is still cold. If no noise, then problem solved.

I am interested however in the Acura permanent fix mentioned above. If this ius the case (and I hope it is), then once anyone has definitive information we can at least point dealers in the right direction.

TTFN,

Iain
Old 12-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Go Giants

The dealer ordered the molding and clips for me today. The clips are on backorder due to demand. Hopefully they will be in next week. 59 degrees here today and no noise . Such a nice experience.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Intermediate

>>One question, exactly what area did the techie press that made the noise go
>>away?

He just checked the molding itself. It was loose - too much wiggle room i reckon - and just firmly pressed down on it. I think he was checking to see if he could hear the clips react to it or not...not a very techie approach, but once i realized where the noise was coming from I felt like an idiot for not doing that myself.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Advanced

sweeeet!!! Just came back from the dealership. Had a test drive, techie said he's had a couple of cars with same problems. He knew right away as soon as he heard it. He said they need to replace the windshield. Messing around with the mold or clips or whatever will probably not work. The windshield's position or the way it was installed is the main problem. It sits too low, he said. They will order the parts. He said, there was an Acura rep present when he was dealing with another car before with same prob. Hopefully, Acura is aware about this now and will issue some kind of statement. Me so happy...
Old 12-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Go Giants

wanggo and wvu1999 - Congrats and keep us posted.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Cruisin'

New Bulletin Notice Coming Soon???

My TSX was returned from the dealership earlier today. It took them 2 days to figured out what was making the rattling noise from the front passenger dashboard. They told me that there will be a Bulletin coming out soon about this problem.
Here's the exact wording from them:

replaced right/ front trim clips
Clip A, R
Clip B, R
Clip C, windshield
Clip D, R
E-clip, R
Clip A, tape
Clip B, tape
Clip, roof molding

My loaner was a TSX. It made the same noise as my car.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Go Giants

Does this sound like your problem?? I bet a Coke it is.....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18091
Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

hey wsklar - any status on your clips? Does it seem like Acura is going to release a bulletin for this problem or will it just be word of mouth?

by the way, great post!
Old 12-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by TSXsurf
hey wsklar - any status on your clips? Does it seem like Acura is going to release a bulletin for this problem or will it just be word of mouth?

by the way, great post!
Thanks.

I am still waiting for some parts to come in.

The noise went away in the bitter cold (under 35 degrees) but came back around 45 degrees.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Banned

Just wondering to the people who have this problem...is ur car garage kept?...trying too figure out if thats the reason i never experenced any problems
Old 12-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by MemRheins
Just wondering to the people who have this problem...is ur car garage kept?...trying too figure out if thats the reason i never experenced any problems
Mine is garaged kept.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

My TSX, 2 months old, just started to hear that "rattle" thank you for the information.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:21 AM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Mine is under cover but not garaged.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

Update

Originally Posted by tsxdfw
My TSX was returned from the dealership earlier today. It took them 2 days to figured out what was making the rattling noise from the front passenger dashboard. They told me that there will be a Bulletin coming out soon about this problem.
Here's the exact wording from them:

replaced right/ front trim clips
Clip A, R
Clip B, R
Clip C, windshield
Clip D, R
E-clip, R
Clip A, tape
Clip B, tape
Clip, roof molding

My loaner was a TSX. It made the same noise as my car.
My car noise is gone!!!!! I used to think that it was due to the cold weather. Just go to your local dealership and have them change the clippings on the passenger side. If anyone need specific part #, then post it hear and I will go look at my paperwork. Good luck all!
Old 12-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by tsxdfw
My car noise is gone!!!!! I used to think that it was due to the cold weather. Just go to your local dealership and have them change the clippings on the passenger side. If anyone need specific part #, then post it hear and I will go look at my paperwork. Good luck all!
Please post anything useful. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wsklar
Please post anything useful. Thanks.
replaced right/ front trim clips 824199
1 73153-SEA-003 Clip A, R
1 73154-SEA-003 Clip B, R
1 73155-SEA-003 Clip C, windshield
1 73156-SEA-003 Clip D, R
1 713157-SEA-003 E-clip, R
2 91570-SDC-A01 Clip A, tape
2 91571-SDC-A01 Clip B, tape
3 91572-SDA-A01 Clip, roof molding

I forgot to tell you guys that this is the second time that I have brought my vehicle in because of that noise. On my first visit, they added "EPT" tape. The noise initially stop after they installed it, but it came back the following day.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:54 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

And this was for the creaking windwhield noise?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Go Giants

Mods - Can you please merge this with https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18091.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Merged.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
Merged.
Thanks Dan

Quick Reply: The Windshield Noise FAQ