Windows Tinting Getting Scratched

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows Tinting Getting Scratched

Got my 04 TSX about 1 month ago and had the windows tinted. Since then noticed a scratch on front passenger window. Went back to tint store and was told that all 2004 Acuras were built without any type of felt protection for windows. Called dealer and was told that this was true and that they have had alot of complaints on window tinting becoming scratched when raising and lowering windows if you don't have felt put on each door. Tinting place is charging me $30 per door to do this. All door panels have to be removed to do this, which is causing me some concern about the possiblility of future rattles, but I guess I'll have to do it or replace all the tint in the future because of scratches. They are being nice enough to replace the tint on the one window that has a scratch free if I have the felt put in now.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Jewdacris!!

i have a few scratched on my passenger door also, they are near the area where the lock is, towards the cente rof the car....i think there are three scratched. its not that bad though, and my tint place is 3 horus away, so its not convient to get theire and fix it
Old 06-05-2004, 06:36 PM
10th Gear

Yeah I had read about this problem a while back .. at that stage I didn't have the tint on yet so i was abit lucky at that point ..

anyways I asked my tint shop about the problem and they said they would put in the felt on the inside window edge for free ...
Old 06-06-2004, 02:12 AM
Still here

Your tint shop should have been smart enough to notice the lack of felt when they put the tint on the frst time and informed you about it. That would have stoped you from getting mad about the scratch, and from them having to redo the window.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:09 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by e_lectro
Your tint shop should have been smart enough to notice the lack of felt when they put the tint on the frst time and informed you about it. That would have stoped you from getting mad about the scratch, and from them having to redo the window.
How do they install the felt? Is it glued onto the existing rubber seal?
Old 06-06-2004, 03:27 AM
Still here

the felt, or moleskin, is made with an adhesive side and is just stuck to the stock seal. Simple install, but the stuff is kinda pricy and they should remove your door panels to install it.

If you want to read more on it, I recommend tintdude.com. Search for felt, mole, or gasket.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Yah my driver door tint got a scratch from top to bottom on one of the first rolldowns of the window after getting it tinted (which was 2 days after i got the car). I need to take it back to teh dealer and complain but i haven't had t ime
Old 06-18-2004, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

Both front windows

My Accord Euro is a April '04 build and was delivered to me 3rd May.

If you want to know which Sydney dealer just email me. I was booking it in for the 1000km service when I nicely told the service guy that there was a distinct scratch line near the inside door handle. Its like something was catching when the window is going up and down,causing a straight scratch vertically.

He said he would check it out. Later that day, when I was picking up my car the service guy didn't mention anything about my complaint and was hoping I'd give up. I questioned him & he said he was waiting on an answer from Honda. BS!

One week later and I went back to the dealer and was told that some cars have this problem and some don't, that its just the plastic is too hard and that it wasn't a fault in the car, one in 50 cars will have this problem.

Well I was really pissed off and ranted and raved and eventually they offered to retint at the tinters(!?) expense!, no charge to me and that would be the end of the matter.

If anyone else has had this problem, especially in Sydney please contact me
Old 06-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Sydney Euro- the retinting of your windows will not solve the problem - you must have the FELT installed. Not all tint places do this. See my posts about this here ---

I am in Melbourne and have dealt with Honda Australia too regarding this problem.

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=6061

http://www.clubtsx.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=6214
Old 06-19-2004, 08:55 AM
5th Gear

Scratched Windows

Thanks "Y" for your advice, much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a Tinter in Sydney who is familiar with this problem? Sol Ace retinted my windows and lucky it is cold and I have so far not needed to open the windows, just using the sun roof.

I asked Sol Ace at the time for a suggestion and know what he said? "Don't open the window"!?!? He didn't have the insight to recommend felt.

I dunno guys, this is the first time I have bought a Honda, my last car was a Volvo S40. I can't believe that a $44,000 car has problems like this in this day & age. And all the road tests I read ranted about the Euro's build quality. To be quite honest, I didn't expect the car to be perfect-I have had my share of brand new cars. Its the really poor
"We don't want to know about it" attitude of

LARKE HOSKINS HONDA HOMEBUSH service division.

The service manager didn't even have the balls to see me face to face, he hid in his office and gave instructions to the nice receptionist on what to tell me and try to make that I should be grateful that they have bent the tinter's arm to redo my tint at his expense. Probaly threatened to stop throwing business his way. And said if it scratches again its my problem. Again, did not give any suggestions or attempt to solve the problem. Is this acceptable for a $44,000 car I ask again? I told him that I thought the "H" on my grille stood for Honda , not Hyundai.

Moral of the story? Buy if u get a good deal from Homebush, just get it serviced elsewhere.
Old 06-19-2004, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Sydney Euro - I would get on the phone to Sol Ace and ask if they fitted felt to the inner side of the windows when they did the re-tint. If not - ask why not. Ask them to fit it to your car - at their expense - as it is now a KNOWN problem in the tint industry for Euros.

Tint Professor told me that scratching of tint is common on some makes and model cars (eg Toyota Echo, Range Rover). They were not aware of it being a problem on the Euro until I showed them the evidence. They were not overly keen on installing the felt and retinting the windows (as it takes time) but they did do it at no cost.

If Sol Ace or your Honda dealer are not prepared to fit the felt you are entitled to your money back for the tint job. The tint job is not "fit for purpose" under the Trade Practices Act. I wouldn't give in on this - the scratching will return if the felt is not installed.

regards
y
Old 06-21-2004, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

tints

Hi "Y"

thanks for the info, well, I don't think I can be reimbursed for the tint job becaused I negotiated into the price of the car. At the time of the retint I asked if they had removed the door trim to investigate the problem. Nope they haven't. I have given up wasting my time with these clowns.

I think I will just shop around a try find a tinter who has the "heads up" on this matter.

cheers,

Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 03:03 PM
-~-Girlie-~-

So about this problem....is anyone having a problem with there windows making a rubbing noise when they do down???? I've taken it to acura about 4 times now and they now told me its SUPPOSE to make this noise.....ummm...yeah....i really doubt that... I wanted to get my windows tinted but didn't want it to scratch like i've heard...
Old 07-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Banned

Tint shop operator told me that many new cars don't have the inside felt strips, this true ?
Old 07-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Cruisin'

What about if the film is labelled as "scratch resistant"? They are going to put in some Johnson's Silhouette Film, anyone ever hear of that? Does that make a difference? I talked to the guy at the tint shop and he said it won't scratch even though felt is missing. He said the tint will become bonded to the window, and if the tint was gonna get scratched then the windows woul db escratched neway, price was 169 no felt.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
nader-tsx

I'm glad I joined the forum so now I know about this problem with the felt before I get my tints. BTW, anyone know of a place where I can get my tints in the DC Virginia area? Any help will be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-28-2004, 07:47 PM
Cruisin'

Just got my windows tinted, the guy said that the first time I put down and put up the windows I should spray a soapy solution to lubricate it. Dont' know if that'll help though.