Window tints affecting NAVI???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window tints affecting NAVI???

I spoke to a service manager at the Acura dealer and he recommended that I don't get my windows tinted. He says that people who have navi and got their windows tinted with a metal base film reported a decrease in satellite signal and easily lossed signals. He said that if I wanted my windows tinted, that I'd have to get the cheap stuff that turns purple in a year. Does anyone out there with navi and a metal base tint film experience this problem or have heard of this? Or was this guy just blowin' smoke?

Thanks for any help.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just get Ceramic Tint. This is a non metallic tint that will not fade. This tint is more expensive, but if you don't want to risk losing your Navi signal it's the only way to go.

FormulaOne is that company that makes the ceramic tint I have on my car. I have no issues with Navi, radar, tv reception, or Sirius.

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Thanks, that's good to know. I've never heard of ceramic base tints before.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
TSX User

I just had my car tinted yesterday with Johnson Silhouette, 35% all around. I am assuming this is a metallic tint, because the guy mentioned that I may lose a lot of my AM signal.

Anyway, the first thing I checked was the number of satellites.

The system could find seven, compared to eight the night before. Clicked go home, and it correctly guided me home.

But, I am sure there have been people who have had issues. Forget searching and just post questions regarding tint + navigation. Mods won't mind. :wink:
Old 03-30-2005, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tsx536
Just get Ceramic Tint. This is a non metallic tint that will not fade. This tint is more expensive, but if you don't want to risk losing your Navi signal it's the only way to go.

FormulaOne is that company that makes the ceramic tint I have on my car. I have no issues with Navi, radar, tv reception, or Sirius.

Good luck!

sorry to get off topic but you mentioned tv reception. Can you tell me how you get tv reception and what you need to do to get it?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Well...I have the Pioneer N1 in my TSX along with the Pioneer TV tuner. My diversity antennas sit on the rear deck, so that's why I mentioned my tv reception not being effected. You can click on my sig for pictures/details.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Whoa! Sweet setup TSX536!
How much did that all cost? 2k?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Thanks! Go ahead and post in the thread with all my pics.
I don't wanna put too many off topic posts in this thread. Here's a quick answer, but like I said post in my thread if you have more questions.

It was actually less than 2k. So cheaper than stock navi with a lot more functionality. I didn't buy the Pioneer for Navi though, cuz I commute to the same place everyday. The Navi was just kind of a bonus along with all of the other features. My next piece is the Pioneer to Ipod interface. Touchscreen control and searching of the Ipod on the N1's flipout screen! I can't wait
Old 03-31-2005, 04:01 PM
Intermediate

number of satellites

Originally Posted by TinkyWinky
I just had my car tinted yesterday with Johnson Silhouette, 35% all around. I am assuming this is a metallic tint, because the guy mentioned that I may lose a lot of my AM signal.

Anyway, the first thing I checked was the number of satellites.

The system could find seven, compared to eight the night before. Clicked go home, and it correctly guided me home.

But, I am sure there have been people who have had issues. Forget searching and just post questions regarding tint + navigation. Mods won't mind. :wink:

Hi,

sorry to ask this out of topic question, but what navi option will display the number of satellites ?

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:47 PM
TSX User

Originally Posted by yuri2i
Hi,

sorry to ask this out of topic question, but what navi option will display the number of satellites ?

Thanks.
Simultaneously press the three keys to the left of the joystick, not including the setup button, for a few seconds. A secondary menu will pop up.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

Sorry for the repeat thread... just did a search and found a similar one posted by TwinkyWinky a week ago.