Weird leak under car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird leak under car...

The other day I noticed under the passenger seat, under the mat behind the seat, there was some water there and the carpet was wet. I just bought the car, so I let it dry out, figured maybe while I was cleaning the car etc.

Today, I checked. Just a tad bit of water. So I look under the car, and sure enough, in that area, there is a leak which seems to be coming from the frame cover? The AC seems to be draining properly where it should. Also, there is no signs of water in the car going from where an AC leak would leak to under the seat.

Here is a picture. This is underneath the car taking a pic of where the leak is. This is not far from the passenger rear tire.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3wwn2ugai...530_121851.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has it been raining in your area?
Old 05-30-2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by gftgrill
has it been raining in your area?
This.

I'm wondering if a channel for the rain has been plugged up by something.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
This.

I'm wondering if a channel for the rain has been plugged up by something.
You're on the right track. All the sunroof drains and the AC drain (they all end up draining through the same tube) were blocked in my 05. All the footwell areas (so the carpeted area under the mats) were soaked. Had dealer service clean everything out. Bet money that the OP has the same problem.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Simba91102
You're on the right track. All the sunroof drains and the AC drain (they all end up draining through the same tube) were blocked in my 05. All the footwell areas (so the carpeted area under the mats) were soaked. Had dealer service clean everything out. Bet money that the OP has the same problem.
The AC seems to be draining in the correct area underneath. However, I do feel like there obviously is a drain issue. It hasn't rained, but I gave the car a really good car wash the other day, so I imagine that's when it happened. How can these drains be cleaned? I am going to have my mechanic prop it up tomorrow and take a look.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:35 PM
10th Gear

I checked all the sunroof drains ( poured water over sunroof), they all are working. I know the AC drain is working. Went to dinner, and sat outside in the car for good 15 minutes with my gf and no signs of any issues.

Where the leaks were earlier is dry underneath and no water inside. I am thinking possibly either something was clogged, but not anymore, as it became unclogged. Or there is a drain or gutter somewhere outside ( not related to the sunroof or AC), that isn't routing water where it should.

Either way, I did rinse the car off after work, and didn't notice the issue. Sunroof checked of...maybe this problem will just disappear.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM
10th Gear

Maybe the issue is underneath where it was leaking.....Maybe water is coming up through that into the car, when I wash the car. I haven't driven it in the rain, but somehow, I am suspecting this is the issue now that I think about it more. Only way to tell is to go spray the hose around the area where the leak occurs. I'll wait an monitor it the other way, but have a feeling going to have to seal that area underneath.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by moneyfornothing

Either way, I did rinse the car off after work, and didn't notice the issue. Sunroof checked of...maybe this problem will just disappear.
It might.... if you're lucky. How did you determine that the sunroof drains are working? Was it just because the water disappeared, or did you actually see it dripping out from underneath? They may be just draining slowly, and a heavy rain overwhelms them so they back up. I may be wrong (hope I am for your sake), but based on my experience, I'll stand by my theory. Oh, how can the drains be cleaned? You leave your car at the dealer, they fix it, you give them money, then.... they're clean!

Last edited by Simba91102; 05-31-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Simba91102
It might.... if you're lucky. How did you determine that the sunroof drains are working? Was it just because the water disappeared, or did you actually see it dripping out from underneath? They may be just draining slowly, and a heavy rain overwhelms them so they back up. I may be wrong (hope I am for your sake), but based on my experience, I'll stand by my theory. Oh, how can the drains be cleaned? You leave your car at the dealer, they fix it, you give them money, then.... they're clean!
I poured water directly into the holes. Water came out pretty good through the end of the drains at the front and in the back of the car. The water came out pretty quick. I actuallt researched the issue, and the drain tubes go through the trunk area, and this leak is in a different area. Yea, its possible I guess, but the sunroof drained really well.

I will monitor the issue. I am thinking it is just a hole there underneath the car, that water can get into and gets into the car. Since it hasnt been raining, no way to tell. I bet I could spray water in that area and it would reproduce the problem. However, if I am wrong, and I seal it up, and water is coming from somewhere else, then I just made it worse lol.

Going to drop by my mechanic friends house and prop up the car and take a look.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:55 PM
10th Gear

Turned out to be a disconnected sunroof drain tube. Totally disconnected at the sunroof. Under the carpet was completely soaked. Took out seat and dried it all up, figured out the leak. Spent all day drying it out. It was horrible. Wate
r was just following the body and draining down into the floorboard. This is from a few car washes. Glad I figured it out before the rain...
Old 06-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Good to hear you got it figured out. Who did you buy the car from? I'd be pissed that they didn't disclose this problem.