Under carriage oil plug cover missing??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 10:03 PM
4th Gear

Under carriage oil plug cover missing??

I had the first oil change done at acura cause it was free thats it. I usually don't trust them and haven't since they damaged the car the first time it was there for a cracked winshield. So today I take it to a local oil change place that I trust and they show me the oil plug was stripped. Not the thread but the outside like they put the wrong wrench on there, so they put a new one on, first I thought it was these guys but why would they tell me and wouldn't they charge me for it but no the didn't. So this is the second thing the dealer has damaged on an 8k mile 431K car not happy. So I was thinking of just doing all my work like I used to/oil changes etc, So I get the manual out and read up so I can do the next one, it says I have to remove the cover first before loosening the oil plug, so i look underneath for the cover and its gone! The guy at the dealer def took it off and never put it back on or dumped it to make the job easier for him next time.
So I'm gonna call the dealer on monday and get one for free, I know you don't need it, but the car came with it and I want it on there.
Sorry for the long rant but does anyone else have had the dealer discard the cover???
Old 06-22-2008 | 01:18 AM
Racer

Nope, I've done my own oil changes since day 1. But I'd be pissed, even though its only plastic
Old 06-22-2008 | 05:26 AM
Instructor

I tore mine off because I found it useless.
Old 06-22-2008 | 10:10 AM
JDM Addict

Originally Posted by Populuxe
I tore mine off because I found it useless.
I guess your gas mileage rating is useless huh?

useless.... geesh.
Old 06-22-2008 | 12:15 PM
Advanced

they overtightened mine and when i did my own oil change i had to rip it off. i dont trust anyone working on my car but me.
Old 06-22-2008 | 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by MMsTSX
I guess your gas mileage rating is useless huh?

useless.... geesh.
The little plastic plate doesn't affect gas mileage. He is not talking about the whole under skirt thing, just the 5X8in plastic panel under the oil pan.
Old 06-22-2008 | 05:17 PM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by cam5728
I had the first oil change done at acura cause it was free thats it. I usually don't trust them and haven't since they damaged the car the first time it was there for a cracked winshield. So today I take it to a local oil change place that I trust and they show me the oil plug was stripped. Not the thread but the outside like they put the wrong wrench on there, so they put a new one on, first I thought it was these guys but why would they tell me and wouldn't they charge me for it but no the didn't. So this is the second thing the dealer has damaged on an 8k mile 431K car not happy. So I was thinking of just doing all my work like I used to/oil changes etc, So I get the manual out and read up so I can do the next one, it says I have to remove the cover first before loosening the oil plug, so i look underneath for the cover and its gone! The guy at the dealer def took it off and never put it back on or dumped it to make the job easier for him next time.
So I'm gonna call the dealer on monday and get one for free, I know you don't need it, but the car came with it and I want it on there.
Sorry for the long rant but does anyone else have had the dealer discard the cover???
When you took your car to the local oil change place did they tell you the cover was missing-maybe they could have taken it off. I trust the dealer I deal with-no problems and they have always given me excellent service since day one-11/17/06. Mine now has almost 54,000 miles (bought it new)
Old 06-24-2008 | 10:44 PM
Let me help you!

I did my first oil change at the dealership. They took mine off too. I actually don't mind, since it's pretty easy to do oil changes. Instead of fiddling with a flap, I can go straight ahead and start working, and I don't have to worry about it getting in the way.

As for the drain plug head, mine is messed up, but it's all because of me...the drain plug's metal is pretty weak. I'm very strong ;-P
Old 06-26-2008 | 07:11 AM
Pro

Good luck demanding on getting the flap back from the dealer. Here is the off chance that you might get it, don't tell them you got it serviced at another place, tell them you were changing the oil yourself and noticed that the plate was missing. Talk to the service manager and NOT the SA. If you get nowhere talk to the GM.

I had our 95 Accord brought into Main Line Honda in Ardmore PA back in September for an alignment and tires, fast forward to March when I did my oil change and rotated by tires, one of the studs snaps. I go back to the dealer because I am the only one who repairs the car other than timing belt and alignments and the SA has the balls to tell me it snapped off from the mileage of the car. I was so steamed I was ready to jump the counter and all I wanted was a stud and lug replacement. Since I insulted his intelligence he pouted like a baby and I ended up talking to the service manager who made it right. He knew they f***ed up the job and knew I was going to end up taking it to court for $10...would have cost them a lot more having their lawyer show up.

On the 2nd gen TSX, it looks like that flap is larger with 6 screws to get to the oil drain plug. I wonder if this is to upscale the TSX than to actually protect something? The drain plug is in close proximity to where it is on the 8th gen Accord.