TSX and TL tint scratch theory

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TSX and TL tint scratch theory

I just wanted to let everyone in on my theory of why we get tint scratches on our TSXs and TLs.

When we roll the windows up and down the sharp inner top edge of the glass slowly chizzles away at the hard rubber molding at the top of the door.

Over time the chizzled rubber particles stick to the top edge of the window and creates a rubber gunk/muddy substance at the top edge of the window. If not cleaned regularly, the rubber gunk builds up.

Once it builds up enough, the gunk gets stuck to the inside of the hard rubber weatherstrip on the inside of the door when we roll the windows down. Within this gunk there are dirt particles already and when the window is kept down on a regular basis the exhisting gunk on the inner door weatherstrip collects more dirt or rock like particles. Then when the window is rolled up and down, the dirt stuck in the gunk on the inside of the door weatherstrip creates our verticle scratches.

Moleskin/Felt acts as a cloth to both wipe the dirt away and also trap it in the hairs to keep it from scratching the windows.

If you do not have moleskin/felt a good way to keep from getting the scratches is to keep the upper door weatherstrip lubed up (Armoralled) and clean. Also keep the top edge of the window clean as well as the inner door weatherstrip and you should avoid the verticle scratches.

I think if you keep (1) the top rubber molding, (2) the top edge of the glass, and (3) door gasket clean (all at least once a week), you don't need moleskin

If you look at the doors on a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury you will notice that there is normally felt around all the edges including on the door gaskets. That's why they don't get window scratches like us.

I hope this helps those of you unmoleskinned and unscratched.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:27 PM
hrj
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the tips
Old 12-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Interesting theory. I have F One pinnacle and no moleskin. After only 2 months and rolling my windows up/dn twice each time I go to work I have no scratches. I asked my tint dealer about scratches before I had the car tinted. He says there are a few manufactures, Honda and Benz that put these hard rubber gaskets on the windows. He believes that when the car is tinted the release agent they spray on the window during installation runs down the window and gets on this gasket. As it drys it gets a little sticky. This then accumulates dirt and that promotes scratching. He says they clean this area really well after they tint and it does not scratch. He also said the Pinnacle is more scratch resistant than most films. Well I'm not sure about all that but I know I have no scratches and I have yet to clean the insides of my windows.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Guinea Pig

^^^he he....the release agent Now thats funny! It's basically soap and water. He fed you a line of crap! Soap and water doesn't get sticky when it dries. Most shops use Dawn dish soap and water or Johnsons baby shampoo and water as a "release agent" . I'm sure you don't have scratches yet. It took me about 9 months to get scratches, but they showed up. That's because For the first 6 months I washed my car like I had O.C.D. and later got lazy. Even though I tint windows every day, I have yet to add felt to my own vehicle, because my scratches aren't bad at all since I've found out what causes the scratches. And it's not becuase of a "release agent" getting sticky in my doors.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My tints are scratched to hell 9 months in, on every door. I only hope the shop I did mine at will allow a "warranty" re-do, after I do the moleskin install. Otherwise I'm SOL another $200.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Guinea Pig

Reach- If they won't redo it under warranty just be cool with them and ask them to cut you a deal on the redo and I bet they will. They might even go as far as half and half if you're lucky.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have special pricing for people from this forum who want to buy our MoleSkin kits for their TL or TSX.

PM me for the pricing and ordering information.

We produce our own moleskin to withstand the heat, moister and cold. Ours is made specifically for auto applications. More Info? http:///whatis.htm
Old 02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
2006 ASM tsx

this sucks so bad!!! i already have 3 scratches.. and they're just straight up lines... in different spots.. isn't there anyway the dealer can fix it?.. but for me. even if they do. i didnt get my tint from them because i have 35% in the front and 20% in the back!!! what should i do??