TSX Service visit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Service visit

Well today I took in my TSX to the dealership to get a few annoyances checked out.

Problems
1. navi lockup still happening.
2. 1-2 shift still notchy at times
3. seat rail is bumby
4. seat moves forward a little when braking
5. steering wheel shakes when braking at high speeds.

Well I'm getting 3,4,5 fixed but they say they couldn't duplicate 1 and 2.

The navi is a version 1.0 system and I explained to them that if they would only pop in the latest version of navi, that the disc should update the firmware and stop my lockups. They said they had no disc and have never heard of this problem. Long story short, next time it happens, I'm driving straight to acura to show them what heck i'm seeing.

As for the notchiness, I thought I'd give it a shot and hope they could fix it. The tech and foreman drove it and said they found no problem. I guess I'll just have to be very precise when shifting 1-2 to get that butter shift. Thanks Acura

They have the seat mechanism/rails on order which I hope should fix the bumpy track and seat moving forward.

As for the steering wheel vibration when braking at high speeds, they are going to have the rotors resurfaced when my seat parts come in. There's a TSB on this if anyone else is experiencing this.

If anyone in the Raleigh, NC area has the new DVD disk 9/30/03, I'd like to meet and see if it will help me. Very curious about that rumour.

FYI: After I passed 15,000 mi, my mpg average increased from 26.9 to 30mpg. Even better I saw it averaging 37.1 for half a tank once. Anyone else experience this? My car has almost 17K now.

100% rattle free since 4/20/03
Old 04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: TSX Service visit

Originally posted by asp_datalok10
Well today I took in my TSX to the dealership to get a few annoyances checked out.

Problems
1. navi lockup still happening.
2. 1-2 shift still notchy at times
3. seat rail is bumby
4. seat moves forward a little when braking
5. steering wheel shakes a little when braking at high speeds.

Well I'm getting 3,4,5 fixed but they say they couldn't duplicate 1 and 2.

The navi is a version 1.0 system and I explained to them that if they would only pop in the latest version of navi, that the disc should update the firmware and stop my lockups. They said they had no disc and have never heard of this problem. Long story short, next time it happens, I'm driving straight to acura to show them what heck i'm seeing.

As for the notchiness, I thought I'd give it a shot and hope they could fix it. The tech and foreman drove it and said they found no problem. I guess I'll just have to be very precise when shifting 1-2 to get that butter shift. Thanks Acura

They have the seat mechanism/rails on order which I hope should fix the bumpy track and seat moving forward.

As for the steering wheel vibration when braking at high speeds, they are going to have the rotors resurfaced when my seat parts come in. There's a TSB on this if anyone else is experiencing this.

If anyone in the Raleigh, NC area has the new DVD disk 9/30/03, I'd like to meet and see if it will help me. Very curious about that rumour.

FYI: After I passed 15,000 mi, my mpg average increased from 26.9 to 30mpg. Even better I saw it averaging 37.1 for half a tank once. Anyone else experience this? My car has almost 17K now.
I'm glad you posted. I'm having problems 3, 4 and 5 as well. Problem 3 has been addressed twice now but the problem still remains albeit it is now less bumpy. Problem 4 has never been addressed and I just noticed problem 5 this past weekend when braking from 130-140km (81-88 MPH). Only I would'nt call my problem "little" the shake was severe enough for me to worry about the car going off the road.

I called the dealer and made an appointment for Saturday. I explained the brake problem and was told that they would first have to inspect the brake pads to determine how the problem was caused but also said it was likely it would be covered under warranty since I only have 33K km's.

I had forgotten about the TSB and will be sure to bring it up this weekend. Anywhere I can get a copy of that TSB?
Old 04-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

So far only 5 TSB have been recognized.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/01/04013446.html

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 98-005 JUL 03 Drivetrain - Revised CV Joint Boot Band/Installation
00-037 JUN 03 Brakes - Brake Rotor Refinishing Guidelines
97-040 MAY 03 Keyless Entry - Description/Identification/Programming
03-012 MAR 03 Antitheft - Type 4 Immobilizer System Operation/Service
03-013 MAR 03 Navigation System - Operation/Set-Up
Old 04-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

my navi was locking on boot up too (couldn't pass the 'ok' screen)...and it sounds like yours is also a random occurance. for me, it would lock-up 25% of the time and in clusters...it either locked up on consecutive starts, or work fine for a while.

after replacing the navi unit in the trunk and getting a newer version of the navi dvd, it still didn't resolve the lock-ups. the dealer ended up replacing the entire center stack with the lcd screen. since then...no more lock-ups...so oddly, it seems to have been the touch screen not working properly.

i also had the problem with the dealer not being able to reproduce it. i don't think they ever got it to happen on their own...i was lucky the morning i took it in that it was acting up.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by junc02
my navi was locking on boot up too (couldn't pass the 'ok' screen)...and it sounds like yours is also a random occurance. for me, it would lock-up 25% of the time and in clusters...it either locked up on consecutive starts, or work fine for a while.

after replacing the navi unit in the trunk and getting a newer version of the navi dvd, it still didn't resolve the lock-ups. the dealer ended up replacing the entire center stack with the lcd screen. since then...no more lock-ups...so oddly, it seems to have been the touch screen not working properly.

i also had the problem with the dealer not being able to reproduce it. i don't think they ever got it to happen on their own...i was lucky the morning i took it in that it was acting up.

That's exactly what happens with mine. I told them it can run fine for a month or it can act up 2-5 times a week. I hope they can fix it cuz that was one expensive toy. I'm thinking about getting the new disc, but I hate the fact of paying so much for something that should be IMO $30. I may wait till dual layer dvd burners and get it a copy from somebody later this year.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:37 PM
I am Ahab!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try driving one of the demo cars. If it doesn't have a notchy 1-2 then have one of them drive it. THEN have them drive your car.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Racer

The notchiness of 1-2 seems to be intentional. I notice that my car makes it very difficult to go from 2-1 unless you're practically stopped. You can definitely feel it release and pop in very easily once you've slowed enough. I imagine the notchy 1-2 is a by product of that "feature" (I personally think it's kind of stupid).
Old 04-06-2004, 05:30 AM
Intermediate

yeah, I hope when I get my loaner in a few weeks that I'll be getting a 6mt w/ nav car. I'm very curious how another TSX rides/performs, since this is the only one I've driven.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Instructor

When it comes to that 1-2 notchiness, I've yet to drive a Honda/Acura that isn't stiff (you think the TSX is stiff, you should try the RSX Type-S...yikes!).

The seat sliding has been addressed on this forum about a million different times and I don't think anyone has ever had a fix/official word on this (mine does it a little bit, but it doesn't bother me).

The big thing I've had lately has been clutch-clicking, which is also currently being discussed in this forum (sounds like it's something to do with "bushings" (?) which need to be lubed - I will be getting it checked out soon).

As far as Navi goes, Canada doesn't have the option of Navi in the TSX (only in the TL)...besides, it wouldn't do me much good anyways - Saskatchewan, where I live, hasn't been mapped yet...maybe for 2006 when I trade in!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:19 PM
04 remembrance

So you experienced a gain in mpg after 15k miles?!

Weird, how would that happen?
Old 04-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by iamhomin
So you experienced a gain in mpg after 15k miles?!

Weird, how would that happen?
Sure did. Crossed that 15k mark on a trip from Charlotte to Raleigh. I was amazed how great my mpg was. I thought it was a computer error at 1st. After several weeks of the same performance, I can only say that my engine must have just broken in for good.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:05 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Had my Front Rotors replaced under warranty last weekend. I had 34,000 km's (21,250 miles). Vibration when braking from any speed is now gone.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by domn
Had my Front Rotors replaced under warranty last weekend. I had 34,000 km's (21,250 miles). Vibration when braking from any speed is now gone.
I scheduled my appointment for monday to get the seat mechanism/rails replaced and rotors resurfaced. Hope everything goes well.

I'm going to try and pop the nav disc for the loaner in my car. Hopefully, it's a newer version and will update my firmware stopping these random lockups. Of course I'll give it back.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Well I took my baby in today to get the sliding seat replaced and rotors resurfaced. They gave me a sweet 04TL. Speakers suck although dvd audio is cool. Lots of power. I wish they gave me one with nav and stick. I like the soft leather. Hey, no rattles. LOL Of course my TSX doesn't have them either.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Intermediate

Well got my car back and I happy to announce that I my drivers seat no longer slides and my rotors seem smooth cuz my steering wheel has lost it's shake.

For those of you intersted in fixing these 2 problems, here's exact words from mechanic sheet.

Seat shifts forward at times
Cause: driver's seat moves forward while breaking.
851140 front seat track/slide adjuster/linkage
(left; one or both per seat) - replace
155 wh3
1 81510-sdb-a72 device, L. fr. seat
FC: 03214
part#81510-sdb-a72
count:
claim type: 03220
auth code:

Rotor issue:

vibration while breaking
410820 front brake disc (both) - resurface using either the kwik-way or snap-on car brake lathe; measure disc total
155 wh3
fc: 00401
part#45251-sea-j01
count:
claim type: 04501
auth code:

They still haven't fixed my navi lockup problem. Course it hasn't locked up in 1.5 mo. When it happens, I plan on driving straight to the dealer to show them I have a problem.

Hope this help folks. Get those seat fixed. It's now possible.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:37 AM
has been here awhile

Originally posted by KingV
The notchiness of 1-2 seems to be intentional. I notice that my car makes it very difficult to go from 2-1 unless you're practically stopped. You can definitely feel it release and pop in very easily once you've slowed enough. I imagine the notchy 1-2 is a by product of that "feature" (I personally think it's kind of stupid).
I think you're right about the intentional "notchiness". My Xterra tries to keep you from shifting down into 2nd or 1st while traveling "too fast". To shift into first, I have to be practically stopped.

Makes sense, however. I don't wanna cause any damage to my engine.