TSX Newbie-Fob/Remote Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:28 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSX Newbie-Fob/Remote Problem.

I just bought a 2005 TSX. It only came with one key--no fobs. I haven't gotten a second key made yet, but I did get a couple of fobs on ebay, and have seemingly programmed them. So the question that I have to ask is, is this normal or have I done something wrong in programming the fobs:

1) The fobs will unlock all of the doors ONLY if the driver's side door is unlocked.

2) The fobs will lock all of the doors EXCEPT the driver's side door, and that is ONLY if the driver's side door is unlocked.

3) All other buttons work correctly.

Is this the proper operation of the key fob? It just doesn't seem quite right. Any ideas what I can do to correct this? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
No this is not normal. I can't rememeber the specifics but there is a difference between the fobs from 06 and later and the 05 and earlier. You probably got 06+ fobs. You may want to search through the TL key mods for more info. It came up during that mod when owners of pre 06 cars were having problems with the remote buttons. Sorry my memory is not better on this, it was a few years ago.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:17 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the reply. After troubleshooting a little this evening, I have determined that the door actuator is the culprit. I can hear it trying to unlock/lock, but not physically moving the lock. Apparently I am not the only one who has had this problem, as a quick search turned up. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Before you replace the actuator, try this. Does the door lock and unlock with the button on the door by the power window controls? If it does, the actuator should be good. The fobs you got on ebay are most likely the newer style ones. In the 06-08 TSX they added memory seats that are linked to the fobs. To unlink them, simply hold down the lock and unlock buttons at the same time until the red light flashes. Then try and see if it works. If not, the actuator may in fact be the culprit.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:22 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that when I get home tonight. I knew about the memory seats for the 06-08 TSX and I thought I got the right remotes for my car since neither remote has a position number marked on the back of the fob. You may have just saved me replacing the actuator for no reason. Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Oliver!!!

That's what we're here for.

The fobs for the memory seat equipped models with will work with the earlier model years, you just have to unlink the memory seats.

Any resolution?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
7th Gear

I went back and checked last night--the actuator seems to be the problem. The driver's side door will lock all of the doors if you manually push the plunger down. When you pull the plunger up, it only unlocks the driver's side door. The door lock switch by the power window switches will lock/unlock every door except the driver's side. When using the remote and pressing the unlock button on the fob, I can hear the actuator clicking, but it does not lock the door. It does not click when I press the lock button on the fob, so I'm pretty sure it's the actuator.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:47 AM
7th Gear

Oh, and I tried to unlink the memory seats using the directions that you gave me for the fob, but the red light never flashed, so I think that I have fobs that were from before the memory seats were available. Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Oliver!!!

Unfortunately, the fact that the door won't unlock when you use the button by the power window switches kinda confirms that its the actuator. Sorry about that, from what I understand, that's not a cheap fix. But its not uncommon. There's a huge thread about it somewhere in here.

Oh, btw, I think its behaving normally when you push the lock in manually. When you push it in, its supposed to lock all the doors. However, when you pull it back out to unlock it, its not supposed to unlock all of the doors. At least, that's how mine works.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:27 AM
7th Gear

I'm picking-up an acutator at the dealership this afternoon. I had thought about installing it myself, but I got a quote from a guy at a body shop that I know and he said he'd install it for $25. Sold.

And I learned about the driver's side door lack the hard way the first day I had the car. Let's see...key in the ignition, listening to the radio while peeling illegal tint off the driver's side window, tint depresses the door lock, I shut the door to move onto the next door...only one key, no fobs...forehead slap.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:16 PM
5th Gear

when i recently got my tsx it only came with one too, but the dealer was nice enough to throw in a fob. Still waiting for my new switchblade to come....