Trouble Code and Shift Solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Trouble Code and Shift Solenoids

I recently purchased a slightly salvaged TSX. The car does not start and it has a bunch of messages on the Dash when the key is turned. The DTCs I am getting are as follows:

P0108 MAP/BARO Circuit High Input
P0974 Shift Solenoid A Control Circuity High
p0986 Shift Solenoid E Control Circuity High

I wanted to find out if any one knows which Solenoid is which. I looked at a diagram located at http://estore.honda.com/EPC/images/p.../SDA3A0710.png

Number 6 in the Diagram shows some physical damage but no other Solenoids show any damage. I would like to know what Solenoid on that diagram is A and which is E. Does anyone have any insight into the First DTC P0108.

Finally the Display Screen on the the Dash read as folows:

Check Tire Pressure
Check VSA
Check Transmission
Check Emission

I know what the Tire pressure is about. I guess the Transmission has to do with the solenoids, and the Emission message probably has something to with the fact that the cat-back of the car is ripped off. I am not sure what the VSA is all about. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW none of the components in your picture are shift solenoids. #6 is the Linear Solenoid which controls varies clutch line pressure to control shift "harshness". The five shift solenoids are mounted internally in the trans and are accessed through a cover on the lower front of the trans.

I'd recommend you invest in a proper service manual for the car. It will likely take some good old fashioned diagnosis to fix this car (as is often the case with "salvaged" vehicles).
Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... that's just about every error you can get O_O
Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by poltergeist
FWIW none of the components in your picture are shift solenoids. #6 is the Linear Solenoid which controls varies clutch line pressure to control shift "harshness". The five shift solenoids are mounted internally in the trans and are accessed through a cover on the lower front of the trans.

I'd recommend you invest in a proper service manual for the car. It will likely take some good old fashioned diagnosis to fix this car (as is often the case with "salvaged" vehicles).

Thanks I was under the impression those where the solenoids I had to get repaired as they show physical damage. I guess I will start by replacing the damaged linear solenoid and also replacing the whole wire harness. A lot of the main harness is damaged. The wire coming of #8 in the diagram is damaged which is the shift solenoid I believe you are talking about as that is covered on the lower front of the Trans. Just want to make sure both solenoids I mentioned are the ones you say are covered in the front of the trans. I have already purchased a pretty good manual on eBay, this thing covered a lot. I planning on buying the helms manual as I had one for my 99 TL and it was great but the eBay TSX manual was pretty comprehensive.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck with the repairs! Sounds like you have quite a bit on your plate.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What's the history of this car? It sounds like a can of worms best left unopened.