Tranny slipping? help not sure whats going on

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
CL9 ABP

Received 245 Likes on 112 Posts
Tranny slipping? help not sure whats going on

I'm at 125,000 miles with my 05 and i always do tranny flushes at 30,000 miles.

For some reason today the tranny has been slipping all over the place at first I thought it was just a cold start and needed more time to warm up. Later today after dinner the car hesitates over switching gears and then I get sputters of high reving.

I'm not sure if its tranny but are there other things that would cause these symptoms maybe my tranny is leaking?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Original clutch?
125k is about the lifetime of a well cared for clutch.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:39 PM
CL9 ABP

Ah sorry failed to mention this is an auto tranny.

It slips between 3-5000 rpms if its fast accelerating even in slow speeds i barely can feel it gripping on the next gear.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lcrazyaznl
...I'm not sure if its tranny but are there other things that would cause these symptoms maybe my tranny is leaking?
I doubt it. Have you monitored the fluid level.

There is a remote possibility that some external factor (like engine vacuum or the ECM) could be causing the slipping -- but most likely it indicates that a rebuild of the transmission will be needed. In any case, you should get it to the dealer ASAP to get an evaluation and cost estimate. If you need major work, ask if they have rebuilt transmissions available.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:14 AM
CL9 ABP

Yea i check the fluid and it seems like its good, but I don't know if another flush will help.

It seems to slip in many areas, and when i start the car let it warm up put the shifter from Park to drive it pauses
shakes then pause then shakes harder

just like abrupt and then abrutp again.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
lcrazyaznl:

I have several questions:

1) Are you the original owner of the car? If not, how many miles did the car have when you bought it?

2) How have you driven this car since you bought it? Normal? Slow like a Granma, or have you been tough on it? Have you taken it to the track at all?

3) You said you do fluid changes every 30,000 miles. How much time and have many miles have passed since your last fluid change?

4) Does the transmission act the same way in both regular automatic and sport shift mode? Try it in sport mode. Run thru every single gear. For example in first gear sport mode, run it slowly buiding up the RPMs till 5500 or 6000. Any hesitation? Do the same thing but accelerate quickly. Repeat the two methods for gear #2, #3, #4 and #5. What are your experiences?

5) A loose vacuum hose may be causing problems. But trick is how to find reputable shop that will tell you this and not ignore it and try to sell you a whole transmission

6) I would have hesitations about changing fluid again. I once had car that had a quirky transmission. But it was still driveable. It accelerated normally in first gear. I decided to change transmission fluid. Car then became undrivable. First gear would slip. You'd be standing at trafic light and when light turned green, I would accelerate and nothing. So be careful with this since it seems the car is still driveable. I guess go ahead and change the fluid ONLY before you are going to get new transmission. Then you have nothing to lose.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
I'm at 125,000 miles with my 05 and i always do tranny flushes at 30,000 miles.

For some reason today the tranny has been slipping all over the place at first I thought it was just a cold start and needed more time to warm up. Later today after dinner the car hesitates over switching gears and then I get sputters of high reving.

I'm not sure if its tranny but are there other things that would cause these symptoms maybe my tranny is leaking?
What does "flush" mean? Just change or an actual flush? I was under the impression that Honda specifically warns against flushing their automatic transmissions due to the possibility of damage.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
CL9 ABP

I have several questions:

1) Are you the original owner of the car? If not, how many miles did the car have when you bought it?

Yes i am the orginal owner

2) How have you driven this car since you bought it? Normal? Slow like a Granma, or have you been tough on it? Have you taken it to the track at all?
I don't really drive it agressive like a mad man, but i do push it time to time just like passing cars here and there. I really only autox it once

3) You said you do fluid changes every 30,000 miles. How much time and have many miles have passed since your last fluid change?
I drive alot of highway miles my commute from college is about 500 miles 6 times a year, as well as in the summer I have a rough 70mile commute a day.

4) Does the transmission act the same way in both regular automatic and sport shift mode? Try it in sport mode. Run thru every single gear. For example in first gear sport mode, run it slowly buiding up the RPMs till 5500 or 6000. Any hesitation? Do the same thing but accelerate quickly. Repeat the two methods for gear #2, #3, #4 and #5. What are your experiences?

yes it hesitates through both modes and its quite random. I will be slowly accelerating and there is some struggle between the gear just not smooth or rough but some pause then it would finally catch 1 out of 5 times i try to accelerate on the pedal. When changing lanes i press down on the pedal and it doesn't give any motion it just revs really quick like i'm in neutral.

5) A loose vacuum hose may be causing problems. But trick is how to find reputable shop that will tell you this and not ignore it and try to sell you a whole transmission
Yea my mechanic is looking into it to see if it something else than the tranny just wondering if anyone had other issues like a bad solonoid

6) I would have hesitations about changing fluid again. I once had car that had a quirky transmission. But it was still driveable. It accelerated normally in first gear. I decided to change transmission fluid. Car then became undrivable. First gear would slip. You'd be standing at trafic light and when light turned green, I would accelerate and nothing. So be careful with this since it seems the car is still driveable. I guess go ahead and change the fluid ONLY before you are going to get new transmission. Then you have nothing to lose.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Simba91102
What does "flush" mean? Just change or an actual flush? I was under the impression that Honda specifically warns against flushing their automatic transmissions due to the possibility of damage.
Not specific to Honda cars.
I've heard that on higher mileage cars, you should refrain from changing the trans fluid, esp. if you haven't done so for awhile. Something about it doing more harm than good.

Manual trans are much easier to maintain.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,515 Likes on 1,182 Posts
I still have a 97 Accord LX with 4AT and the tranny started slipping around 140,000 miles exactly the same way. I just changed the tranny oil about 5,000 miles earlier at a local shop (1st time not using Honda ATF). The tranny only lasted about another 8-10 days before my dash looked like a X-mas tree and the tranny failed completely.

You might need to double-check your insurance to see if they have free towing on your insurance (mine did).

I'm not 100% sure if it was normal wear/tear on the tranny or the non Honda ATF caused the failure. The car was just a commuter car (70% hwy/30% city). I put in a rebuilt tranny and I still drive the car with +198,000 miles on the odo.

I would have the tranny checked out and be prepared for worst case scenario (new/rebuilt/used tranny option).
Old 12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
CL9 ABP

My mechanic told me the whole transmission was a mess... Like nothing was connected right and some how got discombobulated or some sort...

Is there any possible way this happens he said it was like someone shook up the tranny.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My mechanic told me the whole transmission was a mess... Like nothing was connected right and some how got discombobulated or some sort...

Is there any possible way this happens he said it was like someone shook up the tranny.
Find a new mechanic.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
CL9 ABP

I don't see why I need find a new mechanic there were no previous signs of failure or premature failure. Hes a trusted mechanic that I've been going to for years.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
> whole transmission was a mess... Like nothing was connected right

What does a transmission being a mess mean?

How do you "shake up" a transmission?

And, exactly what was not connected right? I presume that "not connected right" means "connected wrong".

Did reconnecting everything "right" fix the problem?

If not, then find a mechanic that can engage in straight talk. And, don't overlook the dealership. They have the right tools to check manifold (engine) vacuum, ECM codes, and anything else that needs to be checked to determine if the problem can be fixed or if the transmission must be pulled and rebuilt. I had one Pontiac transmission fail (locked up) because of an internal $15.00 solenoid that could by replaced without pulling the transmission. It had something to do with "Park".

A good transmission mechanic is one that works on nothing but transmissions. Automatic transmission are complicated devices and it is often beyond the ability of the general mechanic to diagnose and repair one properly -- and vice-versa. Don't ask a transmission mechanic to diagnose an engine problem and don't ask a general mechanic to diagnose a transmission problem. It is a rare person that can be good at both. And, a good transmission mechanic will often specialize in just one brand. The smaller the number of designs, the better one can learn the designs and failure patterns.

Your mechanic, thus far, has not given you any useful information.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

...?
Was this from a quick glance?
Or did he drop the trans and take it apart?
Old 12-05-2009, 12:18 PM
CL9 ABP

I haven't been able to speak to him since i left the car at home so i'm basically talking through my dad.

He said it might have been something about the car getting dropped in parking gear too hard on a lift. He specialize in transmission as well and has always done great work. The issue is i'd be all over watching the transmission now but the car is 450 miles away which it broke down the day before i was going to drive it up.

From the updates i got he is itemizing what needed to be replaced my dad mentoned a few gears or something needed to be ordered.

Last edited by lcrazyaznl; 12-05-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM
CL9 ABP

The signs i mentioned happened on Saturday and then i dropped the car off saturday and he called my dad sunday to tell me the transmission locked up. so something upset the transmission after sitting around for a day or me attempting to drive home (40 mile commute).