Too much warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004 | 10:32 PM
Subie Tech

Too much warranty??

So I was just thinking to myself today that I want to get my seat rails (moves front and back during braking) and my window squealing problem checked when it's being rolled down. But the thing is, I've already got a couple warranty jobs done (Centre console replaced and rear wheel bearing) but I NEVER take my car in for service cause I do all the servicing myself. You think they might be pissed off if I go back just for warranty jobs and not service? The service advisor tried to sell me Type A but I've turn it down a few times!!
Old 11-06-2004 | 07:40 AM
Moderator Alumnus

I'm sure they would like you a little more if you did bring it in for service, but then again, warranty is warranty, and they being professionnals, they should and usually would suck on it, especially if you are always courteous with them.
Old 11-06-2004 | 05:57 PM
Subie Tech

Yeah I guess. Ah well, I'll see what happens
Old 11-06-2004 | 06:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sauceman
I'm sure they would like you a little more if you did bring it in for service, but then again, warranty is warranty, and they being professionnals, they should and usually would suck on it, especially if you are always courteous with them.
The problem is, sometimes you hear stories and you have wonder if they really are "professionals."
Old 11-07-2004 | 12:17 PM
Instructor

How much do they get from Acura when doing warranty work? Is their profit margin comparable doing warranty work? I wouldn't really know so this is all just guessing, but regular servicing, while providing additional business, is only labour rates, and have more competition in pricing from independent (or self).
Old 11-07-2004 | 06:43 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by Proo
How much do they get from Acura when doing warranty work? Is their profit margin comparable doing warranty work? I wouldn't really know so this is all just guessing, but regular servicing, while providing additional business, is only labour rates, and have more competition in pricing from independent (or self).
When a mechainc works on a warranty job, they get paid by Honda Canada and the dealership loses money because a tech is tied up working on something that there is no profit made. So dealers HATE warranty jobs! But that's where apprentices come in since they are not paid by flat rate. That is also the reason why some times when you take a car in for warranty, they can't find the problem or another problem has started.
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeffTSX
When a mechainc works on a warranty job, they get paid by Honda Canada and the dealership loses money because a tech is tied up working on something that there is no profit made. So dealers HATE warranty jobs! But that's where apprentices come in since they are not paid by flat rate. That is also the reason why some times when you take a car in for warranty, they can't find the problem or another problem has started.
Oh, they get paid directly by Honda? But the dealership doesn't get compensated for floor time and tools? I would think that's their "profit"... maybe it's less than their usual margins, or maybe more (but you're saying it's less, right?).
Old 11-07-2004 | 10:52 PM
Subie Tech

No the dealership does not get any compensation EXCEPT a reimburstment of the part that needs to be warrantied.
Old 11-07-2004 | 11:02 PM
Master in Science

No the dealership does not get any compensation EXCEPT a reimburstment of the part that needs to be warrantied.
Interesting.
Old 11-08-2004 | 01:31 AM
Instructor

Really.. that sucks... so can they refuse to accept your call for warranty if they didn't sell you the car?? That sounds bad... and a conflict of interest for us to receive good warranty service...
Old 11-08-2004 | 08:41 PM
Subie Tech

Originally Posted by Proo
Really.. that sucks... so can they refuse to accept your call for warranty if they didn't sell you the car?? That sounds bad... and a conflict of interest for us to receive good warranty service...
Well they can't say they won't fix the warranty unless it's caused by the user. (Lowered cars, hydrolocking from CAIs etc) Remember, they will do anything to lure you in so they can sell you service!!
Old 11-09-2004 | 12:14 AM
04 remembrance

I know what you mean, I took it in for warranty much more than I took it for service + oil change combined.

But it's alright. They still get paid for warranty work, and if you're not happy over something warranty covers, you shouldn't feel bad for brining it in.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2004 | 12:17 AM
Instructor

They just claimed to fix my door rattle today and now it's worse. Also, they replaced my drivers air bag because it was rattling and now there's a piece of plastic scraping whenever I turn my steering wheel. I said the FM radio reception is poor and they say "radio reception is normal for this model of car".

And they gave me an EL as a loaner.