sound deadening installation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Littering and.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sound deadening installation?

So I've decided to try and stop the rattles in my passenger door by installing some sound deadening material. When I install, do I peel of the plastic liner that's on the door, or do I just dynamat over it? Also, should I dynamat the door panel as well? Is fatmat any good?

On a side-not, does anyone know how to remove the interior rear-pillar sections so I can remove the rear dash and dynamat that as well?

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slobeatz
So I've decided to try and stop the rattles in my passenger door by installing some sound deadening material. When I install, do I peel of the plastic liner that's on the door, or do I just dynamat over it? Also, should I dynamat the door panel as well? Is fatmat any good?

On a side-not, does anyone know how to remove the interior rear-pillar sections so I can remove the rear dash and dynamat that as well?

Thanks for the help guys.
Dont use Dynamat, use THIS stuff.

elduderino help me with my install and suggested it. Worked very well. What he did was removed the plastic liner and then just cut pieces of it to fit on the frame of the door as well as inside of the frame on the panel. Use a heat gun to heat up the sticky stuff.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Littering and.....

Can you remove the plastic liner without damaging anything? I honestly think that is where my rattle is coming from.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:00 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
No, your rattle is not coming form the water shield.

Hi, joe, how ya doin?

The water shield is held in with silicone-type grease and some ocasional black round inserts. Take the inserts out or unhook the plastic over them (the plastic has stretched and the holes are bigger than they used to be).

Peel back the shield, 1/3 to 1/2 at a time. Then re-stick it and do the other half. Do NOT fully remove it unless you're really good - it's a potential for a huge mess, that grease is awful.

Read my thread on pulling the door panel to see the broken plastic weld I found and fixed - that and the Cascade Vibra-Bloc and my rattles are gone.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elduderino

Hi, joe, how ya doin?

The water shield is held in with silicone-type grease and some ocasional black round inserts. Take the inserts out or unhook the plastic over them (the plastic has stretched and the holes are bigger than they used to be).

Peel back the shield, 1/3 to 1/2 at a time. Then re-stick it and do the other half. Do NOT fully remove it unless you're really good - it's a potential for a huge mess, that grease is awful.

Read my thread on pulling the door panel to see the broken plastic weld I found and fixed - that and the Cascade Vibra-Bloc and my rattles are gone.
Hey boss, long time no talk! Hows the married life?

Yes, that grease was messy
Old 02-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Littering and.....

Hi, joe, how ya doin?

The door panel isn't on my car and it's still making the rattle. I went through and secured the sections of the door that were mentioned in the TSB and then pulled the shield back into place. I think the part of the shield that holds the styrofoam from the door panel is the culprit. All I know is that I'm losing my mind from the stupid buzzing noise that I get. I'm going to pull the shield off tomorrow like you said and see if it helps. Thanks for the response elduderino. If you can think of anything else nthat might help as well....it'd be much appreciated.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Littering and.....

alright, placed some dynamat in certain places on the door and it seems to have done the trick..or at least muted it more. Thanks for the help elduderino and joerockt.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:58 AM
VP Electricity

Oh, yeah, totally forgot, we put a thin adhesive foam in between the styrofoam and the water shield plastic in joe's car! It was in the Cascde door kit so we used it...

Married life is great, thanks - still in the honeymoon period, of course, so we're not statistically relevant (she hits me when I say that: )
Old 02-27-2005, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Hey Guys when you say rattle in the door you mean a ratthle when music is playing when there's bass? Cause that's what I have, it does rattle on bumps too, but not as loudly. I've taken it to my dealer 3 times now to no avail. Can someone here right down a step by step to check what's causing the rattle in the door for my dealership to follow.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Littering and.....

Elduderino....can you explain to me quick how you installed the deadening on the full door? I'm assuming you cut where the holes are on the door. Do you have to remove all of the wiring first as well, or just put the material over it? It seems that the rattle is still there, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and buy two of the kits that joe mentioned for the doors.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

why don't you just bring it to your Acura dealer? It's free. I brought mine there and they put sound deadening stuff in and washed my car for me.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Littering and.....

Originally Posted by Kawaii
why don't you just bring it to your Acura dealer? It's free. I brought mine there and they put sound deadening stuff in and washed my car for me.

I'm going to at some point, but I know some of the rattling is from the upgraded speakers. So, I'll need to deaden the doors anyway.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 PM
6th Gear

What's free at your Acura dealer? They'd install sound-deadening? For free?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Banned

yeah, because its a problem with the car...warranty will cover it...if they won't do it for free, then go to a different acura dealer.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Instructor

I had my car in for the rattle fix and the dealer did not install anything I would call sound deadening material.

I just upgraded my speakers and dynamatted all the doors. I noticed that all the dealer did to get rid of the rattling was install foam rings and some dynamat like material around the plastic speaker mount. It got rid of the rattles but no where near dampened like the results after I treated all four doors.

Kawaii, have you pulled your panels off to look at exactly what they did?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
I had my car in for the rattle fix and the dealer did not install anything I would call sound deadening material.

I just upgraded my speakers and dynamatted all the doors. I noticed that all the dealer did to get rid of the rattling was install foam rings and some dynamat like material around the plastic speaker mount. It got rid of the rattles but no where near dampened like the results after I treated all four doors.

Kawaii, have you pulled your panels off to look at exactly what they did?

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13973

if you go there it shows what teh dealer is supposed to do...i asked them what they were going to do before they did and they said they have fixed a few of these before and that they would insert a wool felt in the panel...that's also what it says they did on the receipt...and he wrote it in my manual as well...so i'm assuming that's what he did...as far as ripping the speaker panel off, well i don't see a reason why i would do that even if it were still rattling (which it is not) because if it didn't work i would just bring it back to them and tell them to try something else.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:20 PM
VP Electricity

We're from the government, we're here to help you.

That check is already in the mail.

We put sound deadening in your doors.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Littering and.....

I actually went through and did the TSB myself. I used dynamat to secure all of the areas that were shown as problems and I still have the problem. I'm actually starting to think that the sound is the passenger seatbelt shoulder adjustment. If you've ever played those little games in the plastic boxes...the ones where you have to get the tiny balls into the holes....the noise sounds like the balls when they hit the plastic. It's really annoying when you go over little bumps. The thing that sucks is that I can never seem to reproduce the problems with my car when I go to the dealer, which makes it hard to fix.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by slobeatz
I actually went through and did the TSB myself. I used dynamat to secure all of the areas that were shown as problems and I still have the problem. I'm actually starting to think that the sound is the passenger seatbelt shoulder adjustment. If you've ever played those little games in the plastic boxes...the ones where you have to get the tiny balls into the holes....the noise sounds like the balls when they hit the plastic. It's really annoying when you go over little bumps. The thing that sucks is that I can never seem to reproduce the problems with my car when I go to the dealer, which makes it hard to fix.
I'm convinced that the seatbelt shoulder adjusters rattle. I'm not sure how to stop them from rattling since I'd probably have to do something to the mechanism that allows you do adjust them (not that I adjust them at all).

After I dynamatted all the doors, I still had some crazy rattling so through the process of elimination, discovered that the wiring harness for the door controls were rattling. I tossed some foam in and looks like the problem is gone.

One thing I've learned with many warranty experiences with multiple dealerships is they will only spend so much time solving your problem and trying to reproduce it. Even if there are detailed TSBs telling them exactly what to do, they will likely do the minimum required to stop the rattling they hear. When I brought my car in I gave them the TSB number and the results looked nothing like its directions. I wasn't suprised and figured this isn't rocket science, I'll do it myself and not worry about repeated trips to the dealer.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Littering and.....

Originally Posted by pcaulfie
After I dynamatted all the doors, I still had some crazy rattling so through the process of elimination, discovered that the wiring harness for the door controls were rattling. I tossed some foam in and looks like the problem is gone.
I actually went through and dynamated the whole button system for the passenger door controls. Still a rattle though. It seems to be coming from the part of the door closest to the door lock. Originally, I thought it was the peg that was rattling in the hole, so I placed some dynamat there. Nothing has seemed to work, so that is why I'm beginning to think it's the seatbelt adjuster.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:34 PM
Instructor

When I had the button panel out of the door I kept hearing the rattling so I pushed, pryed and pressed every part of the freaking car to try and stop it. That's when I found out for sure it was the seatbelt adjuster. I'm going to pop them off and see what my options are. If I find out anything that works I'll post it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
VP Electricity

The seat belt adjuster has rattled in ours since Day One, and I'd love to have a fix.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Littering and.....

The seat belt adjuster has rattled in ours since Day One, and I'd love to have a fix.

I second that. I've pressed on the adjuster and fiddled around with it while going over bumps and it doesn't seem to help though. It has to be the mechanism itself.