sick of rattling/vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick of rattling/vibration

I have the bass set to the middle (level 0 I believe) and volume at about 12-15. Each time the bass hits, I hear a rattling/vibrating noise from the passenger side door. I noticed this and attempted to investigate. While parked on my driveway with radio music on, I sat on the passenger side and started pressing on panels and noticed the vibration went away when I pressed on the interior black panelling immediately below the side window.

This vibration is really starting to make me not enjoy my ride. Does anyone have an idea of how I can get rid of this?

If not, does anyone at least know how I can remove the panelling so I can try to figure out how to fix this (possibly put some insulation to dampen the vibrations)?

Not happy about this, but I don't trust dealerships to properly fix the problem. I'd much rather do it myself.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, turn your bass down to -2. I know you want it louder, but the buzzing sound ruins the music, right? Turn your bass down.
Second, a couple of our members have taken their doors apart and either a) dynamatted their doors or b) just put a small piece of foam rubber behind (I think) the door lock mechanism. Sorry, I don't remember the details. I am pretty sure it was Domn that dynamatted his own doors.

If you've got the dough, have a car stereo shop upgrade your door speakers, and have them dynamat the doors at the same time.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Dude...Where ya been hidin? This has been discussed to the point that nobody cares anymore. There are several posts with fixes ranging from having the doors dynamatted, to rolling the windows up then bumping them down a skosh. A number of people have had success with both remedy's. My shit doesn't rattle so I'm not too concerned, some people have thrown themselves off of bridges because of the dreaded rattle. Personally, I'd recommend the window trick first, then the dynamat as a last resort.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Cruisin'

I suspect the rattling or buzzing is caused by the plastic moisture barrier between the door panel and the door. It happens on both of the doors of my car whenever the bass level is increased and if I gently push in on the panels the buzzing stops. I am not too eager to pop the panels off for fear of introducing more problems with fit and finish. My solution is to keep the bass level at about center position to relieve the door speakers of the low frequencies and add a dedicated sub/amp in the trunk for big bass. Comments, suggestions, ridicule?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by swami
Dude...Where ya been hidin? This has been discussed to the point that nobody cares anymore. There are several posts with fixes ranging from having the doors dynamatted, to rolling the windows up then bumping them down a skosh. A number of people have had success with both remedy's. My shit doesn't rattle so I'm not too concerned, some people have thrown themselves off of bridges because of the dreaded rattle. Personally, I'd recommend the window trick first, then the dynamat as a last resort.

Lots of people care. And there are no fixes. Rolling down the window is not a fix. And I havent read about anyone who has dynamated to fix the problem. Even if dynamat works, we should not have to do this ourselves.

The following post is from a Japanese Accord owner from another TSX site.

In Japan, many drivers of New Japanese Accord/Accordwagon also seem to be annoyed by the rattles of the windows, including me. I sent the e-mail to the Honda Cusomer Center and got the quick res like that.
... so perhpas Honda will come out with a real fix for this.

the_peel, I too am completely annoyed with these rattles. Not only do I have the door ones, but I also have rattles now from my drivers window... and most recently the sunroof (when the shade is pulled back and sunroofed is closed...i hear it rattle).
Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Drifting

I mentioned my problem of the rattle/vibration/high-pitched hum to my dealer and he said it would be no problem to fix. I mentioned my hesitiation in taking the door apart and he said not to worry, that's it's not really a big deal. Just undo a few clips and you're done. He said he would be happy to put sound deadening material in my door any time I come by. I suggest anyone else with the problem do the same.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Racer

i don't think its possible. like i said in a previous post, the rattles are caused by the speakers itself. the bass comes through the front speakers which shake the panels of the door, causing the rattles. but if you have a correct setup for an audio system, all the bass is supposed to get directed to the sub (in the rear of the car). that way, if you upgrade your audio system, you can channel all the bass to the rear, and have only the mids/highs in the front speakers which won't cause rattles. i think this is the one true solution.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by ebcheon
i don't think its possible. like i said in a previous post, the rattles are caused by the speakers itself. the bass comes through the front speakers which shake the panels of the door, causing the rattles. but if you have a correct setup for an audio system, all the bass is supposed to get directed to the sub (in the rear of the car). that way, if you upgrade your audio system, you can channel all the bass to the rear, and have only the mids/highs in the front speakers which won't cause rattles. i think this is the one true solution.
I disagree b/c I get my vibration noise whether the stereo is on or not. I hear the sounds sometimes when i'm just driving down the road with the radio off. Taking off the upper door panel and installing some dynamat should do the trick.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Everyone, thanks for the posts. I have been reading up on most (if not all) of the rattling threads going around and I do agree with fdl, I have not read of a real fix yet. I have also tried the window "trick", and it used to work, but not anymore. Dynamat is probably the best DYI solution right now, which is what I'll probably investigate. I'm also going to ask my dealership about it too, see what they say about it.

I'm not thrilled about lower my bass even more as it currently sits in the middle (0 level). I admit I do like my bass loud, but gimme a break! It's not even above 0!!! I should not have to do that with a car costing this much.

I'll keep this thread updated on my progress with the dynamat.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Jason
I disagree b/c I get my vibration noise whether the stereo is on or not. I hear the sounds sometimes when i'm just driving down the road with the radio off. Taking off the upper door panel and installing some dynamat should do the trick.
never experienced rattles w/o the music. so if it only due to music, i would think my solution would do the trick (of course it's gonna cost ya).