Rubber undercarriage rustproofing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubber undercarriage rustproofing

Hey guys,

I tried searching for this but all I found was rustproofing from the factory.

A guy I work with bought cans of that rubber spray in an aerosol can from walmart and coated the entire bottom of his car in prep for winter. Anyone ever try anything like that on our cars? Or a different suggestion?

I live in PA and we get decent winters here sometimes but they love to salt the roads. I would like to minimize the rust lol

Thanks for help/suggestions.

John
Old 12-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you talking about plasti dip? I live in Iowa and don't worry much about the salt. Just make sure you wash it often. I have a 97 accord that has no rust. My suspension components get rusty and that's about it. Here's a tip for you. If you do your own suspension work try using anti-seize when putting things back together. I even use it on my lug nuts.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by sixwhip14
Are you talking about plasti dip? I live in Iowa and don't worry much about the salt. Just make sure you wash it often. I have a 97 accord that has no rust. My suspension components get rusty and that's about it. Here's a tip for you. If you do your own suspension work try using anti-seize when putting things back together. I even use it on my lug nuts.
No it's actually like rubber in a spray can. Looks like black paint. I do wash often, just sounded like an extra precaution lol
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it if you want to. Couldn't hurt I guess. Plasti dip is a rubber coating. Check out the videos on youtube about it.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:38 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I've always used this product for all my cars. So far so good on all of them.

Permatex® Undercoating
Protects fenders, frames, fuel tanks, door panels, rocker panels, hoods and firewalls against moisture, road salt and corrosion. Won’t sag or drip. Sound-proofs and insulates. Body shop proven. Level 3*

Suggested Applications:
Wheel wells, rocker panels, frames and underbody, body repairs, rust holes, tree pruning, driveway cracks, minor roof repairs, post preserver.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
This thread reminds me of the Flex Seal commercial lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:20 PM
10th Gear

Suggested Applications: Wheel wells, rocker panels, frames and underbody, body repairs, rust holes, tree pruning, driveway cracks, minor roof repairs, post preserver.
[/quote]

It almost has as many uses as ductape!

Anyways,
What all have you used it on? The whole undercarriage? Any pictures?

Thanks,

John
Old 12-07-2011, 02:23 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by main70072
This thread reminds me of the Flex Seal commercial lol.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jspagna1
I've always used this product for all my cars. So far so good on all of them.

Permatex® Undercoating
Protects fenders, frames, fuel tanks, door panels, rocker panels, hoods and firewalls against moisture, road salt and corrosion. Won’t sag or drip. Sound-proofs and insulates. Body shop proven. Level 3*

Suggested Applications:
Wheel wells, rocker panels, frames and underbody, body repairs, rust holes, tree pruning, driveway cracks, minor roof repairs, post preserver.
Oh ya I forgot to ask...

Where can you pick some of this up?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would stay away from the rubberized undercoating. All it really does is mask what nastiness is occurring between it and the metal. It traps in moisture, and that means RUST. Sure, it will protect the undercarriage from rocks and rock salt chipping the protective coating from the factory, but it does nothing to prevent and may actually expedite further rusting.

Get a quality oil spray that will creep into tiny crevices. Rust Check (Canadian I believe), Krown (Canadian also), etc... are all thin mineral-oil based sprays that WILL protect from salt and water damage by forming a protective barrier that repels water away from the metal, unlike rubberized undercoatings which trap water against the metal.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by curls
I would stay away from the rubberized undercoating. All it really does is mask what nastiness is occurring between it and the metal. It traps in moisture, and that means RUST. Sure, it will protect the undercarriage from rocks and rock salt chipping the protective coating from the factory, but it does nothing to prevent and may actually expedite further rusting.

Get a quality oil spray that will creep into tiny crevices. Rust Check (Canadian I believe), Krown (Canadian also), etc... are all thin mineral-oil based sprays that WILL protect from salt and water damage by forming a protective barrier that repels water away from the metal, unlike rubberized undercoatings which trap water against the metal.
I was expecting it to be more expensive. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to find a dealer near me that will put it on. Krown is only in Canada but I can look for similar.

thanks again

John
Old 12-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TS-XSTASY87
I was expecting it to be more expensive. Thanks for the suggestions. Now I just need to find a dealer near me that will put it on. Krown is only in Canada but I can look for similar.

thanks again

John
You want to AVOID the "no drip" stuff, as the no-drip also means no-creep, meaning it won't get into the tiny voids between welds, etc. Just don't park in your driveway for a few days after getting it done.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can try searching on http://www.eastwood.com/. They have a bunch of products that can help with undercoating. That stuff you get at autozone doesn't work.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-anti-rust...zle-black.html