ROUGH IDLE- Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ROUGH IDLE- Please Help!

When car is in drive/ gear and I am on the brake, the idle is EXTREMELY ROUGH, the whole front of the car vibrates, and the enguine makes an awful noise like it is about to quit.

I have taken it in to dealers 3 times & this is what they have done:

1) Replaced 2 motor mounts and did a throttle body cleaning

2) Installed new power steering hose

3) Neutralized engine mounts & performed idol learn procedure

After each time the rough idle & vibrations have gotten worse. Please tell me if you have had or have this problem and how you fixed it. I'm at the end of my rope!

If you have called Acura (800.382.2238) about it, or have a case manager please let me know.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

Case

By the way if you are having the same problem feel free to message me directly...I am looking to get all the people I can to bring it to Acura, and if they don't fix it then I'm going to the better business bureau!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
what year is your car and how many miles. I am pleased to say my 06 tsx does not have that problem. It now has almost 111,000 miles. The acura dealer I use is excellent.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Sounded like the dealer has attempted to fix your problem more than once, but failed to fix it correctly. Bring it back, tell them to fix it right, and see what they tell you.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
what year is your car and how many miles. I am pleased to say my 06 tsx does not have that problem. It now has almost 111,000 miles. The acura dealer I use is excellent.
I have a 2008- 19500 miles now but I've been taking it in since 18000 miles. I even have gone to corporate with this...its like they know there is a problem but they can't figure out what it is.

Corporate has even tried telling me this is normal wear and tear...I said at 18000 miles this car goes to crap...I don't believe that...so that's why I'm on here asking for help before I go insane!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by main70072
Sounded like the dealer has attempted to fix your problem more than once, but failed to fix it correctly. Bring it back, tell them to fix it right, and see what they tell you.

I have taken it back four times now, even got corporate involved. It seems the dealer (I've been to 2 different ones) realized there is something wrong but can't figure out exactly what it is.

So of course corporate is trying to say this is normal...how is it normal for this car to start doing something at 18000 miles all of the sudden that it never did. And if its normal why have they worked on it 3 times.

I'm asking for help...anyone that's fixed this problem please tell me how & what!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No mods right?
Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Lemon?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ I was thinking of that as well. Are the repairs being done under warranty?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LucasEV
No mods right?

Nope, no mods...its just the way it came, except for now it has issues!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by main70072
^ I was thinking of that as well. Are the repairs being done under warranty?

Yep they've been doing everything under warranty...I'm thinking its a lemon too...but trying to get Acura to admit that is like pulling teeth or something!

They would rather tell you its normal, nothing is wrong, or its your problem rather than do anything.

That's why I got on this forum to ask desperately for help how to fix the car, or what I can do.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think they are repairing the right thing......you said that the engine is making an awful noise and they went to change the motor mounts??? The throttle body cleaning is okay, but at such a low milege??? The power steering hose was replaced because of a recall campaign and has nothing to do with the rough idling. Have them check the engine itself, including all air hoses, etc. or get second opinion.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My BMW had an idling issue and it went away after cleaning the Idle Control Valve. It's basically just a valve that lets a small amount of air into the intake manifold when the throttle is closed (because you aren't using it when sitting at idle). Now, I'm not sure if TSX's have ICVs, but if they do, yours could be dirty and need cleaning/replacing. This might be useful to you before I get home much later and am able to check my '04-'05 TSX Service Manual.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GWEEDOspeedo
My BMW had an idling issue and it went away after cleaning the Idle Control Valve. It's basically just a valve that lets a small amount of air into the intake manifold when the throttle is closed (because you aren't using it when sitting at idle). Now, I'm not sure if TSX's have ICVs, but if they do, yours could be dirty and need cleaning/replacing. This might be useful to you before I get home much later and am able to check my '04-'05 TSX Service Manual.

I thought that cleaning the idle control valve was part of the throttle body cleaning?
Old 09-03-2010, 04:24 PM
El Cunado

Originally Posted by mystic2101
I thought that cleaning the idle control valve was part of the throttle body cleaning?
The throttle body and idle air control valve are separate mechanisms.

There are a lot of sensors in the engine itself. It sounds like it could be a bad knock sensor. I'd try the idle air control valve first.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:05 PM
El Cunado

I don't see anything like an idle control valve. It makes sense in a way because I would think it would have been on their list of things they tried cleaning/repairing/replacing to get it working correctly.

Perhaps it's one of the many sensors in and around the engine. I think it's feasible that a bad sensor could cause the roughness but it would probably throw an error code as well.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Take it back to the dealer, get a loaner and tell them your not coming back until problem is fixed 100%. end of story.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tsturbo
Take it back to the dealer, get a loaner and tell them your not coming back until problem is fixed 100%. end of story.

I have tried this on five occasions now...to the point that they are telling me they are not acknowledging a problem, and it is normal.

I even went for a test drive today, which I posted about. I'm being lied to at this point...I think they don't want to admit there is a problem because they can't figure out what the problem is.

I'm really frustrated now and don't know what to do.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Took a test drive with the dealer service manager & district manager today...during the ride the district mgr kept asking the service mgr if he had his foot ALL the way on the brake, which he did...and also if the service mgr had replaced the air compressor...which he had not.

But after the ride he would not look at the car, or test or check anything. Refused to say there was anything wrong, saying it was normal...but could not explain to me if this was normal and there wasn't anything wrong then why had it only started it at 17000 miles, and why they had worked on it 3 times.

He also offered to extend my warranty for free, and told me if I had it fixed else where that they would pay me back if I signed something saying the problem was fixed.

Anyone else out there think I'm being lied to! Or have any suggestions up to this point how to deal with this, or know contacts for me.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
El Cunado

Anyone else out there think I'm being lied to! Or have any suggestions up to this point how to deal with this, or know contacts for me.
In what City/State do you live?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Intermediate

In what City/State do you live?

Burbank, CA but I'm about ready to take it any where to figure it out and fix it just so I don't lose my mind.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM
El Cunado

Burbank, CA but I'm about ready to take it any where to figure it out and fix it just so I don't lose my mind.
http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/Ca...lemon-law.aspx

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/calif...w-statutes.htm
Old 09-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Thank you! I just called the Better Business Bureau- Auto...is the lemon law better? Should I do both at the same time?
Old 09-07-2010, 03:27 PM
El Cunado

Both. Use the BBB to discuss the individual dealer(s) that have worked on your car.

Lemon Law attorneys could give you an opinion (usually for free since they're always looking for new cases) about your situation. If they think you have an honest case, they'll probably want to get involved.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I think I would also send a certified letter to the Acura zone office, documenting everything and everyone involved. That is BS of them telling you to take it elsewhere to have it fixed. Sounds like you have some pretty $hitty dealers in so. CA.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Intermediate

I think I would also send a certified letter to the Acura zone office, documenting everything and everyone involved. That is BS of them telling you to take it elsewhere to have it fixed. Sounds like you have some pretty $hitty dealers in so. CA.

What is the Acura zone office? Is that different then Acura corporate/ customer relation & case managers? Because I went to corporate & got a case manager after I had it worked on 3 times. But they keep telling me to take it back to the dealer & have the district manager look at it.

So like I said it seems they don't want to "admit" there is a problem, like I'm being lied to.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 PM
El Cunado

I really think you should look into a consumer-type legal case. I'm no lawyer, but I think you have a case, especially if you've kept good record.

Make sure you keep taking note of everyone you talk to, their position, what they say, and the result of doing what they say.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

I really think you should look into a consumer-type legal case. I'm no lawyer, but I think you have a case, especially if you've kept good record.

Make sure you keep taking note of everyone you talk to, their position, what they say, and the result of doing what they say.

Oh I have times, dates, names & wrote down notes on the convos. I have ALL the paperwork on anything that's ever been done to my car...even every oil changed.

I'm like a dog with a bone...I don't just give in, and I'm the type of girl that can be your best friend or worst enemy...

But ultimately I've owned Honda made cars my whole life & they've always been awesome...so I'm disappointed now with the company...I mean just admit its a lemon, or that you can't figure it out and do something about it.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Like I said before, get a loaner and don't pick your car up until it is fixed 100%. also go have discussion with the dealership owner.

What did the district manager do? Get his boss involved. Raise hell until you get satisfaction.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:09 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
lets not start uneeded comotion here. sometimes, no wait, always you'll get farther with dealers when faced with situations like this if you remain calm and not some crazy person who feels the dealer are at your feet. you did not purchase a lambo or a rolls royce.
as far as your problems, i feel your dealer should be honest with you and not just throw parts at this car. that will burn them in the long run.
WHEN "ROUGH IDLE" OCCURS,
...is the car in park or neutral?
...does the rough idle occur upon cold starts? or every single start up. THIS MEANS AFTER YOU DRIVE 10 MILES TO YOUR WALMART, 30MINS OF SHOPPING PASSES, AND YOU START YOUR CAR AGAIN IT IDLES ROUGH!!!!
...when idle occurs note the following (a/c on/off,lights on/off,radio etc.) these are known as loads.
...i have more but ill wait for your answers.
it sucks you as an owner has to diagnose your own car. but based on your thread bumping, i can gather you are at the point where anything is worth it.
thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Like I said before, get a loaner and don't pick your car up until it is fixed 100%. also go have discussion with the dealership owner.

What did the district manager do? Get his boss involved. Raise hell until you get satisfaction.
No I had called corporate because I was told if you take it to the dealership 3 times and they can't fix it then you can get a case manager to help the dealership get it fixed.

Only when I did that...the dealership started to change what they were saying. Before they admitted my car was worse than other cars they tested it against and there was a problem. But after I got a case mgr, the dealership started saying it was normal and they won't admit there is a problem.

So since the test drive yesterday I called the Better Business Bureau.

But I'm still hoping there might have been someone that's had this problem and found a solution or a fix.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eg5
lets not start uneeded comotion here. sometimes, no wait, always you'll get farther with dealers when faced with situations like this if you remain calm and not some crazy person who feels the dealer are at your feet. you did not purchase a lambo or a rolls royce.
as far as your problems, i feel your dealer should be honest with you and not just throw parts at this car. that will burn them in the long run.
WHEN "ROUGH IDLE" OCCURS,
...is the car in park or neutral?
...does the rough idle occur upon cold starts? or every single start up. THIS MEANS AFTER YOU DRIVE 10 MILES TO YOUR WALMART, 30MINS OF SHOPPING PASSES, AND YOU START YOUR CAR AGAIN IT IDLES ROUGH!!!!
...when idle occurs note the following (a/c on/off,lights on/off,radio etc.) these are known as loads.
...i have more but ill wait for your answers.
it sucks you as an owner has to diagnose your own car. but based on your thread bumping, i can gather you are at the point where anything is worth it.
thanks
It occurs when the car is in gear and I am on the brake. It seems worse when the car is cold, but it happens even when it reaches full temp.

I do think I have a faulty AC compressor because now I've noticed it make the rpm's erratic, but that's new.

Since it happens during the day too, the headlights aren't an issue. And I've been driving with the radio off just to see if I notice anything to help figure out the issue.

Yes I am at the point where anything is worth it! Both dealers I had taken it to had admitted it was rougher than it should be, and when compared to other TSX's it was worse. But after they tried fixing it 3 times I made the mistake of calling corporate & getting a case mgr, thinking that would help the dealer figure out what was wrong faster.

But since I've gotten them involved everyone has started telling me this is "normal"...but no one can explain if it was normal why did it start at 17,000 miles, and why has the dealership worked on it 3 times if it was normal.

So I'm at my witts end because I feel, now, like I'm being lied to and no one was helping me but just trying to get me to go away.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM
eg5
user title goes here

so only when brakes are being applied this rough idle occurs?
and for the record the car is completely stopped at a light/sign. right?
try this. when the rough idle occurs immedialty place shifter lever in neutral. now try this with a/c on and a/c off. you may have to do this more than twice to really get a feel for it.
does the rough idle differ between a/c on or off, does it differ in neautral or in d
let us know.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Even though the car is under warranty, I'd probably think about taking it to a really good private mechanic at this point, at the very least to get it diagnosed and then maybe take it back to the dealer and have them do the repairs. Hopefully *someone* can figure it out for you. You'd think the dealership would be the best place because they of all places should know the car, but whatever. Bottom line is you need it fixed.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I do think I have a faulty AC compressor because now I've noticed it make the rpm's erratic, but that's new.
With this info you provided .. the whole idle issue is gonna be your AC. I've had this rough idle for a long time (04 6MT) only in neutral with ac on. I've replaced the plugs but still same problem. the erratic rpm just happened recently or more like it's been happening just never fully noticed it becuase i figured it was due to DBW system. it's electrical throttle body so it's a on off thing. which is what i figured was the case for the jerking.

had my dad (he's a mechanic for 15+yr) check out my ac due to numerous AC failure reported in the 04 model. And he discovered that the erratic rpm when ac is on is due to ac system is plugged up by mostlikely from the ac dryer thats connected next to the condenser.

rough idle with ac on is possibly due to bad bearing of the ac which eventually lead to pieces of the compressor enteriing the ac system. the dryer acts as evaporator of moisture and filters out contaminate. Once it's clogged/busted .. it possilby will cause the eratic rpm. compressor turns on to get the ac going .. but it's clogged with enough pressure, the ac turns off.

On my car, it repeats this cycle every minute.

Try this .. run your car, turn on the ac system via the speed fan button, then turn off the ac via ac button till it shows "AC Off" on the display. This should turn off the ac but keep the blower to stay on giving your a blast of air, just like a normal fan would do if it's on.

See if your idle problem persist. If so .. have the dealer check the ac system. if not .. i'm clueless atm.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:40 PM
eg5
user title goes here

good point^^. honestly after op said he has been to several dealers, i would imagine they focused some attention to his a/c compressor. yes we all know on a four banger any extra load added(such as the compressor engaging) will slightly decrease rpms and well we know the pcm ups the idle speed to compensate blah blahblah.
yes one would think this was looked into, but who knows, i have a feeling the op might figure this out without the help of his local dealer. keep us updated
Old 09-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xaznperswaesonx
With this info you provided .. the whole idle issue is gonna be your AC.

Yeah but the erratic rpm twitching & not settling just started. So I didn't think this whole time it could be just because of a bad ac compressor.

I am thinking of taking it to an outside dealer and paying them to tell me what is wrong. Then taking it back to the dealer and saying this is the problem, please fix it!
Old 09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eg5
good point^^. honestly after op said he has been to several dealers, i would imagine they focused some attention to his a/c compressor. yes we all know on a four banger any extra load added(such as the compressor engaging) will slightly decrease rpms and well we know the pcm ups the idle speed to compensate blah blahblah.
yes one would think this was looked into, but who knows, i have a feeling the op might figure this out without the help of his local dealer. keep us updated
Personally I think the dealers just focus on what the computer tells them...they've gotten too lazy to think outside the box.

I'm taking it to a mechanic that works on my friend's '06 TSX, and asking him to help me figure out what's wrong. Maybe then I can take it to the dealer and say this is what's wrong, please fix it now.

I'll let you know what they tell me is wrong, so the mystery can be solved!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GL with it.

Putting in a new condenser dryer tomorrow. I'll let you all know if that solves the eratic rpm issue.

Quick Reply: ROUGH IDLE- Please Help!