Rotten Egg Smell - Cartalytic Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 06:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotten Egg Smell - Cartalytic Converter?

Hi All - My TSX is now 6 months ond, and still has a super-stinky rotten egg smell, which I assume is the catalytic converter. I have to close the vent inside the car because i is pretty strong. Should this still be going on?

With my old Accord, it only existed for a couple of weeks when I first bought it. After all the trouble with my sliding seat, (which is back again!) I almost can't bear to look at these service techs any more!
Old 03-29-2004, 11:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

this will happen always if the proper conditions are met or not met. does it always happens regardless of the distance traveled? Meaning, is the engine still cold when you shut it off, do you smell it then? Or does this occur after traveling on the highway for an hour? Stop and go traffic? etc... see if you can find a pattern to your driving and make a correlation between that and the amount of sulphur smell.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
10th Gear

Interesting - I'll look out for a pattern. It seems to happen at any time. I mostly am in city - stop and go - traffic. The smell is quite horrible. I know I have to follow up on it. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:04 PM
No Longer a Poseur

We had this issue with our 2002 MPV...Mazda claims it was because of our gas having too much sulphur in it...

I can probably accept that, but it also meant that Mazda's Catalytic Converter doesn't do as good a job as other cars, since lots of cars gas up where we gas up, and almost none of them have this issue.

The smell did reduce after a while (about a year or so), but just recently, they recalled our van back to put in a new converter, and that seems to have definitely solved the problem.

So, after all that babbling, I'd suggest trying a different gas station, perhaps? Or take it back to the dealer--perhaps the converter is screwed. If changing gas stations works, then you know they've got bad or weird gas....
Old 03-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Pro

i am not sure about MPV, but i had that smell once a while but i am sure it's the gas from the pump, and the short distance driving. wait for this current tank empty and change to a difference brand of gas and you may see it get better, if not, talk to dealer.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
So, do you like...stuff?

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My TSX literally has this sulfur smell all the time...drives me nuts.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:43 AM
10th Gear

Someone here at work, who is a car afficianado says the same thing about gas. He asked if I used Mobil gasoline. Yes. He said his Saab dealer says that if you have that sulphur smell, it is because it is Mobil gas. Interesting. I'll contact the dealer. I just find it hard to believe that one particular gas would make such a stink!
Old 03-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Pro

a while ago a member here or TOV or also had the same problem on 03 Accord when he use mobile gas, the stink gone after he switch to other brand...
Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmm...that's strange. I've been using Mobile (93) gas for about two months now and haven't had that smell. Maybe I'll switch back to BP and see if I smell anything different.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

I had the smell problem big time. I was using Shell. I switched to Mobil and the problem stopped for one week and resumed. Then I switched to BP and have had no further smell issues (knock on wood).

So either the converter finally burned in or it's a gasoline additive issue.

I do feel your pain though. As if the constant smell wasn't bad enough, my wife's constant bitching was worse.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:07 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for your input - I will try switching brands. If it doesn't work, I'll bring it in to the technicians and add it to my list of things going wrong!
Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Advanced

Service news: Rotten Egg Smell? Could be the Catalytic Converter

Originally Posted by katya424
Hi All - My TSX is now 6 months ond, and still has a super-stinky rotten egg smell, which I assume is the catalytic converter. I have to close the vent inside the car because i is pretty strong. Should this still be going on?

With my old Accord, it only existed for a couple of weeks when I first bought it. After all the trouble with my sliding seat, (which is back again!) I almost can't bear to look at these service techs any more!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by katya424

I will note it word by word> The rotten egg smell could be coming from the cat. That smell is a release of built-up hydrogen sulfide (H2S) from the reaction of the organic sulfur compounds in the gasoline with the catalyst in the converter.

Almost all gasoline contains some amount of organic sulfur compounds, and that amount varies by region. The more sulfur there is in the gasoline, the more H2S is built up and released by the cat, so the stronger the smell.

Here in California, where low sulfur gasoline is required by state law, sulfur smell complaints are few and far between. Low sulfur gasoline will be phased in nationwide between 2004-2006. This low low-sulfur gasoline should go a long way toward making complaints about rotten egg smell a thing of the past.

Changing gasoline brands will be the only fix for now if you can find one w/ low sulfur. The dealer will most likely tell you the same thing. For now maybe having a good air freshner might help too .

Im guessing you dont have emissions laws like ours either . Lucky you.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by NoHandle
I had the smell problem big time. I was using Shell. I switched to Mobil and the problem stopped for one week and resumed. Then I switched to BP and have had no further smell issues (knock on wood).

So either the converter finally burned in or it's a gasoline additive issue.

I do feel your pain though. As if the constant smell wasn't bad enough, my wife's constant bitching was worse.
I use BP and the smell is still there
Old 02-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Subie Tech

You guys can get that fixed (or replaced) under warranty....the dealer might try to agrue about what brand or gas you use but I assume you all use a high great anyways.