Removing Front Rotors 2005 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:44 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing Front Rotors 2005 TSX

I am hoping this forum tolerates a likely bone headed post as a first post.

I am changing rotors and brake pads all around, replacing with OEM rotors and Hawk HPS pads. No problems changing out the back brakes.

Both my front rotors are rusted on fairly solid - I can't get them to budge let alone remove them. The rotor retaining screws are too small for the 'other' threaded holes normally used to pop the old rotors off (3.5mm vs 4.5mm diameter).

Any suggestions on removing them (short of a blow torch which I fortunately do not have).

Thanks,
Mike.

P.S. if this is covered somewhere in an FAQ then I'll eat my shirt since I could not find it...

-----------------------------------------
Incidently, I have the same problem with the back brakes as others on this forum; that is that they've worn out much faster than the front (which goes against logic), and wore out early at 43K. With my last car my brakes lasted 150K+.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:33 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Use a couple M8x1.25 screws through the threaded holes in the rotor to "push" it off. Or since you're replacing them anyway, tap around the outside diameter with a hammer. A little penetrant on the hub helps as well.

As for the rear pads, it's a characteristic that the rears wear faster than the fronts. Pretty much the same for every Honda that uses the rear calipers for the e-brake function. Combination of small pad area, slight consistant drag caused by the e-brake mechanism, and soft pad compound (to increase e-brake holding ability according to an "off the record" Honda engineer) are the reasons why.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a bigger bolt insert in the threaded hole ? lol

Your not supposed to use the retaining screw lol

Auto zone
Old 08-03-2008, 01:23 PM
6th Gear

M8x1.25 -- thanks potergeist...all done.

Front pads and rotors were fine, in fact less than half used; changed them anyways this time since it was my first time DIY, and wanted to put the better (Hawk) pads on.

Significant difference in braking performance (even while burnishing them); and at least for now the slight rumble in the brakes (that I've noticed on every TSX I've driven) is gone.

Honda needs to consider correcting the design of the back e-brake mechanism - little incremental product fixes are good - in any case I will keep an eye on them to change pads before the rotors are pooched.

Thanks to all neigbours who loan their cars for a quick run to the store (my neighbour's car is also a honda and I will be changing her back brake pads shortly...).

Thanks again for the tip.

Mike.

-------------------------------------
now I've found this forum I can see spending some more time and $ on my TSX -- I think next time I will be painting my calipers (very carefully...).
Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^FYI, search next time. There is a couple of great brake DIYs, though you bring up something none have covered... how to get the rotors off after the manufacturing screws are out, but they are rusted on.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by moda_way
^^FYI, search next time. There is a couple of great brake DIYs, though you bring up something none have covered... how to get the rotors off after the manufacturing screws are out, but they are rusted on.
Thanks...I get the idea that doing a search in advance helps keep clutter out of these threads...I did in fact do a fairly long search, but didn't use my head about the thread size.

As is typical for me, I did find the information in a great thread on this topic which I missed in my earlier search <doh>.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4&page=1&pp=40

It a first run for me using a forum like this, been reading through most of the posts...terrific information and great folks in the community who are generous with their knowledge. I am impressed.