Rearview mirror rattle noise, revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rearview mirror rattle noise, revisited

For those of you who have experienced the annoying rattling noise that comes from somewhere in or near the rearview mirror:

Who has taken their TSX to the dealer to get this problem fixed and can you tell me what the service department did to fix it?

I hear the rattle on almost every single bump in the road. Almost sounds like something hitting the windshield...maybe the wires connected to the auto-dimmer?

Sorry if this sounds like a but I wanted to get an update on what owners have done!
Old 12-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3019
Old 12-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Quattro in.....

If you think it is the rearview mirror check this thread out Post# 11 has pics:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=rearview
Old 12-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
The rearview mirror is not causing the rattling noise. It sometimes sounds like it comes from that area though.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Instructor

I have it and it definitely isn't the rear view mirror. When its cold outside the dome light/sunglass holder/homelink assembly clicks or rattles a bit. Once the car warms up, it seems to go away. Also, if I put pressure on it when I hear the rattle, it goes away. Give it a try.

I've tried tightening the four screws that hold that piece in, but it didn't make a difference. When I get a chance I'm going to try loosening the screws just a bit, or isolating it with some felt or foam rubber.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 AM
7th Gear

Brett,

There are a couple posts on this subject. The issue is the dashboard and windscreen, not the headlining assembly.

My 04 is in right not and the Tech managed to get four fingers in a gap between the dash and windscreen. Not right!

You need to go to the dealer first thing, when it's cold and test drive with the Tech in the car. If you leave it, it'll warm up, no rattle.

Hope this helps.

Iain
Old 12-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brett
I have it and it definitely isn't the rear view mirror. When its cold outside the dome light/sunglass holder/homelink assembly clicks or rattles a bit. Once the car warms up, it seems to go away. Also, if I put pressure on it when I hear the rattle, it goes away. Give it a try.

I've tried tightening the four screws that hold that piece in, but it didn't make a difference. When I get a chance I'm going to try loosening the screws just a bit, or isolating it with some felt or foam rubber.
Brett sounds just like mine but it does not stop when pushing in. Stops when it rains.

BTW - are you the same Brett from the Integra pages the innovator of tear proof rear sway bar attachment?
Old 12-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Instructor

Brett sounds just like mine but it does not stop when pushing in. Stops when it rains.

BTW - are you the same Brett from the Integra pages the innovator of tear proof Type R rear sway bar attachment?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by owkone

BTW - are you the same Brett from the Integra pages the innovator of tear proof Type R rear sway bar attachment?
That would not be me.

Anyway, stopping when it rains is very strange... does it happen right after you wash the car, or does it need a good soaking?
Old 12-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by IandCB
Brett,

There are a couple posts on this subject. The issue is the dashboard and windscreen, not the headlining assembly.

My 04 is in right not and the Tech managed to get four fingers in a gap between the dash and windscreen. Not right!

You need to go to the dealer first thing, when it's cold and test drive with the Tech in the car. If you leave it, it'll warm up, no rattle.

Hope this helps.

Iain
I know what rattle you are talking about, but I don't have that windshield rattle (yet). This is a very faint clicking noise, and if I put pressure on the unit, it goes away. It may have to do with mounting my V1 up there and tapping into the mirror wires for power. I may have not isolated something well enough so it wouldn't move around, I just haven't had time to take it apart. My answer for the moment is to turn the stereo up until the car is warm.

Thanks anyway.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Anyway, stopping when it rains is very strange... does it happen right after you wash the car, or does it need a good soaking?
In fact a light shower will stop it or high humidity just before shower will dampen the sound. It is most evident when it is crisp and cold. It is also less noisy when car warms up standing in sun.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Just as a follow-up, I fixed the clicking noise coming from the sunglass holder/dome light/Homelink assembly when the car was cold. When I took it out I noticed that there was a little bit of play where the Homelink module sits in the larger piece Sunglass holder/dome light assembly piece (it just lightly snaps in). I also noticed that when the car was built, the black bolts above sunglass case were tightened to the point where it had deformed the holes and almost chewed through the plastic, making the holes too big and not giving the bolts much to hold down. I isolated the Homelink module with some thin strips of foam rubber to minimize its movement, and I found some washers that fit perfectly between the black bolts at the front and the holes in the Sunglass case/dome light assembly. Put it all together and no more rattle.

I hope this helps someone in the future that notices an annoying click coming from this area.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Brett, thanks for the update. I looked into mine - all four screws (two visible inside the sunglass holder and two behind the light (you have to pry open the cover to see them) have washers. However, in two on the passenger side the washers were not fully seated - so I fixed them. Need a 8 mm socket for it. The screws should be tight but not super tight just a bit more than snug tight. I also stuck some foam around the home link section.

For me the noise I have is still there - the dealer says it is the windshield and will replace.

For those who may suspect the same source of the noise check the screws.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:25 AM
5th Gear

Noise in windshield fixed

I had a creak going over any bumps that seemed to come from the base of my windshield or the top of the dash. Dealer had glass co pull the windshield and replace the trim moldings. Problem is 90% eliminated.