Rear spring noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007 | 10:14 AM
Instructor

Rear spring noise

Recently I've been hearing some noise coming from the rear of the car and I thought it was just something in the trunk. After searching, I've come to the conclusion that it's the rear springs. When I hit a small to medium bump I hear the sound of the springs compressing or decompressing.

Can it be rust? or are the springs almost done? It sounds simliar to a trampoline. Please advise on what you think the problem might be.

BTW, im taking the car in to get serviced this friday.
Old 12-18-2007 | 10:29 AM
Instructor

I've recently started hearing the same noise on mine. I didn't think too much of it as like you said, it sounds like decompression. It's a 2004 but I only purchased it in August so I don't know what it was like before.

I'm very curious as to what they tell you it may be. Please do update when you find out.

Thanks.
Old 12-18-2007 | 10:43 AM

To the OP I can see that you have an aftermarket rear sway bar, you might want to read this. It might not be the problem, but, just a heads up.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36339

Do you have an aftermarket rear sway Chadwick?
Old 12-18-2007 | 10:53 AM
Instructor

I couldn't say for sure if it was OEM at the moment, but I seriously doubt it as the car was a lease return when I bought it. I can't see someone putting money like that into a lease vehicle. I'll check regardless though.

I read the thread you posted and thankfully I don't think that's the issue as I haven't heard any thumping, bumping, knocking, grinding or any other scary noises. Just the decompression noise like mrpeeng mentioned.
Old 12-18-2007 | 10:58 AM
Team Owner

I had a similar noise last year and I was convinced that it was either the springs or a shock absorber going bad. However, after further investigation I found that it was the rear sway bar squeaking inside the bushing. I have the Comptech swaybar and the Energy Suspension poly bushings. When the suspension was compressed when going over a bump the swaybar rotated inside the bushing and squeaked. I took the bushings off and applied lube and the sound went away. In fact, its gotten cold the last couple of weeks and I'm starting to hear the same noise. You might be experiencing the same thing.
Old 12-21-2007 | 01:36 PM
Instructor

Good news bad news, Good news, its not the rear sway bar *phew*. I dropped off the car this morning and the service guy said it was my rear strut(s) which is covered under warrenty. I'll see what happens when I get the car back this afternoon.

Bad news, I never hit a big bump or nething for that matter since i got the car. What could have caused my strut to go just like that?
Old 12-22-2007 | 07:04 PM
Instructor

Mrpeeng, is the noise ALWAYS present?

I don't want to confuse the issue anymore but there's a couple of things that don't add up, not that any of this does yet.

First is, my car actually hardly ever makes that sound, rarely if at all. But when it does, it does it consistantly. It's like 9 out of 10 days it won't make a peep but when the noise is present it's always there, every bump. There appears to be some factor that's not always present causing it.

Second is, jlukja, you mentioned your car started with the mystery noise when it started getting a little colder. Obviously "colder" means vastly different things from Long Beach to Edmonton and I couldn't say temp has had any effect on it (as far as I can tell yet).

I wonder if this is something that could be sort of a, deteriorating condition? bushings or seals, something like that perhaps.
Old 12-22-2007 | 07:47 PM
Instructor

The noise I heard is now gone after they replace the rear struts were replaced but I now I hear another sound. It's not as bad as the previous sound but this time around it really does sound like a spring. For small bumps theres no noise but it seems like when the car goes low enough after a larger bump I can hear a spring compression sound. I don't know if it's weather related or not but it has been a bit damp with the temp rising and dropping dramatically on a daily basis. It can be 25 degrees in the morning then 45-50 in the afternoon, then drop back down to 25 at night with rain/snow going in and out.

One of my coworkers told me to try to degrease and grease the rear suspension area. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. I'll keep everyone posted, and try to take some pictures as well, maybe someone can see a problem I don't.

To your question about weather or not the sound was always there, Yes it was always there when I hit a bump. It was annoying as hell since I live in NYC and there are bumps/ potholes on almost every block.
Old 12-28-2007 | 11:16 PM
Instructor

Updated status: Pissed off

The sound came back.... I'm taking in the car this coming wed cause they need to replace the actuator for the lock on the passenger side. This really sucks too since its the holidays. I guess we'll see what happens after wed.
Old 01-08-2008 | 06:56 PM
8th Gear

We recently bought a 2004 TSX. I hear a "clunking" noise coming from the rear suspension at low speeds, on bumps. Is this similar to what everyone else is experiencing? Car has about 58,000 kms on it (36k miles).
Old 01-09-2008 | 10:58 AM
Instructor

For my car it's a compression type of sound, I could definatively say it's not any type of banging or clunking.
Old 06-25-2008 | 09:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2hondas
We recently bought a 2004 TSX. I hear a "clunking" noise coming from the rear suspension at low speeds, on bumps. Is this similar to what everyone else is experiencing? Car has about 58,000 kms on it (36k miles).
I know this is an old(ish) post but just wanted to say that my 06 started making this clunking noise as soon as I put aftermarket springs on it to lower it a little. You might want to check if your car has been modified at all. I haven't done anything to fix it yet, but I've heard that the problem could be the spring coils hitting together on bumps, and that you can get a rubber thing that "pads" the 2-3 problem coils to soften the noise.

If anyone's tried that, pipe in please!
Old 07-05-2008 | 08:23 PM
Cruisin'

I was experiencing a clunking from the rear suspension too at low speeds. It turned out to be the one of the rear sway bar linkages being worn out.... check to see if you can wiggle it with your hands.
Since you have the progress bar, they installer might have damged it during removal of the stock.