Rattles and Fixes

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rattles and Fixes

After reading about rattles and fixes in a dozen different areas of this site I have finally found out what everyone is talking about... I have rattling, and it is making me nuts.

The car is quiet when the pavement is smooth, but there is an annoying rattle from somewhere in the right side front dash or pillar/door area every time I hit a bump. The noise now seems to be more frequent (or I am listening for it a lot more) and now I hear some from the left side.

This differs from the window rattling; I hear a buzzing from that area that seems to be related to the sound produced from the CD/radio.

1) Is there any definitive word on what can be done yourself to stop the noise?
2) Is Acura aware of the problem and offering any fixes that work? (my car goes in on Tuesday for a road test to hear the rattle and hopefully eliminate it)
3) Does anyone know of a specific area that is the culprit? Windshield? Side bag installation on the posts? Doors?

Any info from someone who has had the problem fixed would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

I get this grinding, screeching sound of rattle. I think it's coming more from the center console. I've tried holding down things like the lock knobx, center console doors, radio buttons, anything, but can't pin point this rattle.

it's not coming from the roof liner, it sounds like it's the center console.

can anyone help? or should i call the dealer?
Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

My car was making the same noise. I brought it in and they installed foam tape to some plastic pieces that were rubbimg inside the console under the cd storage. That seemed to do the trick. FOR NOW.
All these rattles and squeaks makes my ass burn!!!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:01 AM
10th Gear

I must be one of the fortunate ones as I have no rattles no matter what the condition .. heavy bass music or ultra bumpy roads ...
Old 04-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs down More on the Rattle Issue

My car went to the dealer on Thursday and came back on Friday. They lubed the seals around the doors and moonroof, then re-packed the side curtain airbag on the right post, then foamed something in the upper console. Result? The car was quiet for about 5 miles... then the noises were right back in full force. It goes back on Monday.

So for now there is no fix I know of. I brought the service manager several of the posts from this board on what others have done.... so keep sending them if you have any solutions that have worked.

How I wish I had looked closer at the TL...
Old 04-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

My center console started making a plastic-grinding noise a couple of weeks ago. Every time I accelerate, slow down, turn or stop, the plastic around the shifter grinds and crackles. I can put my hand on it and it stops. Sounds trivial, but I don't usually drive around with music turned up, so I notice it all the time. I'll be taking it in for this in the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Advanced

cdlogan - mine did the same thing, they were able to use some foam tape and it stopped. I do get some crackles and pops from the passenger door / window when going over broken ground but I can only hear them if I have talk radio on.
Old 04-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Thumbs down On and On

I got my car back after four days at the Dealer for the second time... they think the big noise is coming from the right post and they packed it with foam, apparently around a drain from the sunroof that runs down that post. It was quiet for a few hours, but the noise is back and as a special added feature the left post started rattling now also.

I drove an 2004 RSX as a free loaner, and it rattles a lot more than the TSX, but what consolation is that? I was told the TL's rattle also and that a stiffer suspension is the culprit... but since not all cars do this and other manufacturer's do not have the problem, this is something that should not happen and be correctable. Has anyone had it corrected?
Old 04-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by spelldog
cdlogan - mine did the same thing, they were able to use some foam tape and it stopped. I do get some crackles and pops from the passenger door / window when going over broken ground but I can only hear them if I have talk radio on.
That's encouraging to hear that they took care of the console for you. I need to get my butt in gear and make the appointment. Did they look into your passenger door issue?
Old 04-20-2004, 04:50 PM
5th Gear

I have a noise as well. mind sounds like the windshield being ground on or loose. seems to be from the right side of the car. i have had my tsx for almost 2 months and didnt notice this until recently. cant pin point it though.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Racer

Originally posted by miamifan54
I have a noise as well. mind sounds like the windshield being ground on or loose. seems to be from the right side of the car. i have had my tsx for almost 2 months and didnt notice this until recently. cant pin point it though.
A loose-sounding windshield might actually be the rubber windshield cowl cover rubbing against the glass. It happens more during cold or dry weather. To get a positive diagnosis, wait for a day when the noise is prominent, then try pouring a little water all along the bottom of the windshield (below the wiper blades), and see if it stops.

I've been applying silicone grease underneath the cowl cover to stop the rubbing noise. It works for a few days, but then the noise is back. I'm going to try other lubricating type fixes, and if it doesn't work, I'm going to apply weatherstripping tape between the cowl cover and the windshield.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

I've isolate the rattle sound on the front passenger left panel near the center console, around the radio area.

I"m going to try to put some padded tape there and see if that will fix it. that sound drives me crazy sometimes!!!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:34 AM
Cruisin'

It's interesting all of the rattles people have had around the front "A" pillars. I've got several rattles in my car including the right "A" pillar but not the left. When I took delivery of my car the only dirt I found on the interior were dirty finger prints on the front "A" pillar cover along with the fabric cover being crinkled where it wraps around the back as if someone had removed the cover for some reason. Maybe during the dealer check the left side was making noise and they fixed it.

As I've said in another post I've been very dissapointed with the rattles and squeaks that have cropped up in my car. I'm going to tell my dealer about them at the first service but I'm always worried that they will make the problem worse after tearing things apart and putting them back together. I've already had my front bumper badly re-installed after the dealer installed my fog lights (apparently they have to remove the bumper to install them, as crazy as that sounds).
Old 09-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Fixed

I posted this somehere else on the site earlier. .. but the my rattles were fixed with a fourth visit to the dealer. The metal strip that runs from the windshield back over the roof was vibrating and causing the noise. Sounded like it was coming from the right A post....

Of course the dealer dented the roof when fixing the problem and I had to have body work done to get out the dent... but I had a TSX loaner for a week and they eventually fixed it up right.

Hope this helps....
Old 09-11-2004, 06:15 PM
Instructor

I fixed my A-Pillar noise by jamming a piece of black sock into the space between the a-pillar and the dash.

I used a credit card to carefully push the sock into the space. No more noise!

PS : Dealer tried by removing and reinstalling windshield. It did reduce it (probably simply because they disturbed the trim, etc...) but not cure it.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by qacman
Of course the dealer dented the roof when fixing the problem and I had to have body work done to get out the dent...
This is exactly what I'm talking about with dealers and why I'm reluctant to bring up certain problems with them, like rattles. You didn't say, but I assume (hope!) the dealer paid for the bodywork!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:46 PM
White and Nerdy

I have had my TSX a week now. Weather got into the 50's and the windshield started popping like a bowl of rice crispies, especially when going over slightly uneven pavement over 50MPH. More of a "popping" sound than a true "rattle", but nevertheless quite annoying. At first, I thought it was just the windshield adjusting to the temperature change, but it was there later on in the day as well.

LeMasseHammer, if you don't mind, let me know if you find something that works. Im also going to see what my dealer can do if it doesn't stop.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Brought it into the dealer this morning to address the rattles. Bombarded them with 5 rattle points (sunroof header, right A pillar, right front where glove box meets right door and both front speakers). Plus the tail light recall. Ill let you know how it goes.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:13 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
my car has always had like Rice Krispie in milk type of sound when going over certain bumps. i like it, it makes me want to eat cereal. yummy
Old 10-04-2004, 10:10 AM
Instructor

When I took my car in for the 5000 mile oil change, I told them about rattling noises from the driver's side door when playing music with loud bass. They told me they were going to replace the speaker. They must have done more than that though, because I've noticed that door rattles from going over bumpy roads are also a lot less now.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

steering wheel rattle?

...anybody else with a metallic rattle somewhere in the steering wheel area? somebody mentioned the dealer tightened some loose bolts in the steering column in one instance...

thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 03:57 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by wsklar
Brought it into the dealer this morning to address the rattles. Bombarded them with 5 rattle points (sunroof header, right A pillar, right front where glove box meets right door and both front speakers). Plus the tail light recall. Ill let you know how it goes.
The dealer just called to tell me that my car is ready and whisper quiet now . We'll see. I was also told that I had some condensation in my headlight and he ordered me a replacement .

I am getting ready for a quiet ride...
Old 10-05-2004, 05:19 PM
Go Giants

Sounds pretty damn good .
Old 10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DoCoMo
...anybody else with a metallic rattle somewhere in the steering wheel area? somebody mentioned the dealer tightened some loose bolts in the steering column in one instance...

thanks
Here's a thread that might help you. I still have the noise, but it's tolerable.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...eering+buzzing
Old 10-05-2004, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Right front (passenger side) A-pillar crackling noise...

Had the same annoying sound that just seemed to come and go, over rough pavement or bumps. Of course, I could never duplicate it when the dealer's service tech rode in the car with me. Thought it was the windshield. Pressed against all the interior trim pieces, because it seemed like the logical thing to do, I can hear the sound from the inside! Nothing worked.

UNTIL, I came across another thread on this site, where someone mentioned pressing against the trim pieces lining the windshield on the OUTSIDE of the window. I was willing to try anything, the noise was so damn annoying. Well, I pressed down really hard against the hard black plastic trim piece on the outside of the windshield that sits against the A-Pillar, and what'ya know, I haven't heard the crackling sound since!

Just before I pressed down, I lifted the piece up a little and noticed there seemed to be some clips that hold the piece down, I guess they just didn't snap in place good enough. Some guys said they heard a click when it snapped into place, but I didn't notice one.

Now, just need to fix the other little rattle inside the drivers side door near the lock knob.

Hope this helps somebody.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:57 AM
Master Graphic Artist

my rattles came from both door side panels when the music was at level 15 or so when that certain bass line hit. I noticed that applying pressure to the silver lined area on the inside of the door removes the rattles as long as pressure is applied. I'm planning on install components soon, I'll dynomat the inside of the door frame then.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Instructor

I just bought my TSX and picked it up last night......what a sexy car! Anywho--on my way home from work today I started hearing a rattling sound coming from the left rear whenever I would go over 70/75 mi. per hour. If it keeps it up it'll go straight back to the dealer. Not good!
Old 10-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Instructor

rattles like from "A" piller

Originally Posted by miamifan54
it is from the door's blk rubber channel that wrap around the door.. it rub against the metal frame of the car when your car moves on uneven or bumpy pavement.
it solved mine
Old 10-10-2004, 10:22 AM
Instructor

rattles from the A piller or door area

Originally Posted by ucsdtriton
Had the same annoying sound that just seemed to come and go, over rough pavement or bumps. Of course, I could never duplicate it when the dealer's service tech rode in the car with me. Thought it was the windshield. Pressed against all the interior trim pieces, because it seemed like the logical thing to do, I can hear the sound from the inside! Nothing worked.

UNTIL, I came across another thread on this site, where someone mentioned pressing against the trim pieces lining the windshield on the OUTSIDE of the window. I was willing to try anything, the noise was so damn annoying. Well, I pressed down really hard against the hard black plastic trim piece on the outside of the windshield that sits against the A-Pillar, and what'ya know, I haven't heard the crackling sound since!

Just before I pressed down, I lifted the piece up a little and noticed there seemed to be some clips that hold the piece down, I guess they just didn't snap in place good enough. Some guys said they heard a click when it snapped into place, but I didn't notice one.

Now, just need to fix the other little rattle inside the drivers side door near the lock knob.

Hope this helps somebody.

** i have same problem but fixed. the dealer have to call american honda tech line for help. and it turns out to be the blk rubber seal that wrap around the door.. ( the seal will touch the meal of the frame of the car).. poor seal or rubber channel design.. it rubs to the body. the injected something inside the seal and lube the channel.. no more noise