RATTLE Trap since i decided to keep the TSX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RATTLE Trap since i decided to keep the TSX!!!

OK guys,

So I feel like all I do if have problems, none of which are really major but they still annoy me since I paid a lot of money for this car and things just keep going wrong, like my car not holding an alignment (see wheels and suspension section).

ANYWAY, here is a list of rattles I have right now and was wondering if anyone else has these or had these fixed before I go to the dealer with a list:

1) Both driver side and passenger side A pillar touch the dash and rub together making a noise that happens just about anytime I hit an average bump

2) Sunroof, I know about it and I sprayed some silicone grease and it helps but only temporarily

3) a clicking type plastic hitting plastic noise coming from somewhere either behind my front speedometer area or under my steering wheel, I can't find it or figure it out for the life me, but this one is really annoying and almost vibrates when I hit a bump (resonates), like touches multiple times till I hit a smooth part of road (which is rare near me)

4) I think something is broken in BOTH my passenger side doors, but mostly my rear one. I thought it was just vibrating when my base would hit and something was loose, but then I found out it would still made the noise when I hit a bump with no bass, mostly on highways for some reason. THEN, I sat in the back seat and closed the door and you can physically hear something move and rattle inside the door when you close. I think my sister or friend may have closed the door to hard and maybe broke something but I can't tell without taking the door panel off which I really rather have the dealership do it.

Any advice would be helpful guys. Is this something I should take to the dealership as a list of issues separately or just wait until my next service appointment? I'm at 7k miles right now and had my last service at 4250 miles.......
Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Instructor

I would just go to the dealer with a list. From what I have heard, most dealers have no problems with doing this. Last weekend I was in for an oil change/tire rotation and I overheard a salesman telling someone who had just bought a new car to call about rattles anytime and they will fix them at no charge.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:15 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
i would suggest you take the car to the dealer and then take either the service manager or advisor for a ride and point out all the troubles you are having. my 06 tsx was starting to get some rattles when it had 18,000 miles. i told the advisor and they made some kind of adjustments-no more rattles- and it has 23,700 miles (knock-on-wood) never had any sunroof rattle and hope not too. good luck.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think that is what i'm going to do, i'm just wondering if they are going to blame it on the aspec suspension and aftermarket wheels and tires. My dealership has been pretty good to work with thus far so i dont anticipate any issues, but i really hope they don't blame that. I think that it contributed to a few of them, but it couldn't have contributed to the sunroof or the doors possibly being broken....at least i wouldn't think so.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your rattle #4 might be caused by that little plastic cover behind the door release latch handle. You can confirm by putting some sticky tape to hold it down and test driving.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
#3 - my guess is the airbag/components hitting against the steering wheel cover
Old 09-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Slippy maybe...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RE: 1) A-pillar rattle - Haven't experienced that one yet.

RE: 2) Sunroof - mine does it too, though only when the shade is pulled back and the roof is closed. I tried silicone spray and it didn't help.

RE: 3) Steering wheel air bag rattle - I had this since day 1 in my 05 and had the dealer try to find it multiple times. Finally, 2 months ago I took it in for regular service and the service manager asked if there was anything else I wanted done and I mentioned the rattle. "No problem." He had the technician check it out and confirmed it was a "cable reel" (or something like that) in the assembly and had the replacement part ordered. I got a call a day or two later letting me know the part was in, I took it in and a while later came home a happy customer. No charge to me either!

RE: 4) Passenger doors - I agree with arronng. It's probably the covers behind the door release handles. I fixed this early on with my TSX by taking them off and putting some self-adhesive felt from the local Home Depot on the back of each of the 4 covers. Problem solved.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ #3 & #4

Re: #1, yours may be different than mine of course, but I found that mine is caused by the corners of the dash where the dash, A-pillar trim, and windshield meet, rubbing against the windshield. I put some felt between the dash and the windshield and the noise was gone. However, it was very noticeable and noticeably ugly. If the dealer fixes this for you, please let me know how it was done if you can.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

aarong - I thought of that since i had read about that before however, the noise comes from lower in the door than that assuming i am talking about the same thing as you and the others that sugested the same thing! any pictures around here that you know of regarding this piece?

miner - Again, i have read about this and i intend to bring it up if they give me the old "we can't reproduce the problem" speech!

ryanhook - i think your talking about the same thing as aarong but i think its lower. I noticed they were loose, as they are loose on all 4 of my doors but that isn't the noise i here, sounds like somethig is rattling at the bottom of the door.......
Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Driver/Detailer

Just try it. Doesn't hurt to use some masking tape to diagnose. If it isn't, we'll try to think of other reasons.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:38 AM
I Quit

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
I had a similar post on here not to long ago about the door panel rattles and aarong and JTso gave good replies on how to fix it, and it worked. Just a lil daunting to mess with the TSX door panels because the switches etc... fit super tight.

door rattle fix thread
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by clee109
I had a similar post on here not to long ago about the door panel rattles and aarong and JTso gave good replies on how to fix it, and it worked. Just a lil daunting to mess with the TSX door panels because the switches etc... fit super tight.

door rattle fix thread
Thanks! I may have to take a look after i get it to the dealer and see what they do. I just need to find a day i can drop it off the night before and then pick up the day after if i can gt a rental car from them!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Driver/Detailer

With regards to the power window switch rattle, my dealer was hopeless at it and even made it worse. Back then, they thought it was an internal rattle and took off the door panel trim. Unfortunately, that meant that they put back the power window switches loosely and made the rattle come back after a few weeks and was even louder than before. Now, I just try to fix rattles on my own as I don't like the dealer pulling things apart and breaking clips. Even the clips holding down the plastic cover in front of the radiator were broken by the dealer when they added the clips to the headlights to prevent fogging (fogging started happening AFTER they put the clips on )