radio and navi codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 01:13 AM
Stokeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radio and navi codes

i dont know if some of you know this or not but if you lsoe your book with the card in it with your codes here is where they are in your TSX.
Pop the trunk and look at the left side of the trunk lid. the arm that connects to the hinge just inside the liner you will see 2 stickers. one is for your radio other is for navi display. just thought i would post this since i know people like me lose shiet like that haha.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:08 AM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
That's good to know but doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of having a radio code? If you can just look it up in the trunk, why have it on a separate card that you are supposed to keep in your house?
Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Martin
That's good to know but doesn't that defeat the entire purpose of having a radio code? If you can just look it up in the trunk, why have it on a separate card that you are supposed to keep in your house?
The service dept. guys need to know how to reset your radio and navi if they work on your car and disconnect something. I had hoped that the location of these codes wouldn't get posted but I knew that sooner of later it would get out anyway. You're right, the reset codes should not be so easily available. Now that their location is public (probably been posted before this) its easy for a thief to grab the radio and codes.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Seriously though ... who wants a stereo that only fits in other TSX's? Now the nav on the other hand ...
Old 06-22-2004, 10:01 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
The service dept. guys need to know how to reset your radio and navi if they work on your car and disconnect something. I had hoped that the location of these codes wouldn't get posted but I knew that sooner of later it would get out anyway. You're right, the reset codes should not be so easily available. Now that their location is public (probably been posted before this) its easy for a thief to grab the radio and codes.
I am sure that stoke didnt blow it, I am sure that the "theives" have had their hands on this info quite some time ago.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Photography Nerd

Originally Posted by provench
Seriously though ... who wants a stereo that only fits in other TSX's? Now the nav on the other hand ...
I laughed when I saw the anti-theft light for the first time. It's not like most theves are going to have that much time on their hands to be able to disassemble the whole dash to take it out. If they do have that much time it means they've stolen your whole car so the point is moot.

Mind you if they knew what the replacement cost was for one of those head units they might be tempted....
Old 06-22-2004, 10:16 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by virus7
I am sure that stoke didnt blow it, I am sure that the "theives" have had their hands on this info quite some time ago.
Yeah, sorry stoke, this information was probably made publicly available long before you posted. I didn't mean for it to sound like you let the cat out of the bag. I just wish that Acura would have chosen a different method of making the codes available to "right" people.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:18 AM
Photography Nerd

Hasn't Acura heard of databases? How hard would it be to keep the radio code on file at the dealer?
Old 06-22-2004, 10:22 AM
Stokeless

Sorry if you guys feel that im advertising for people to rob us i wasn't and i apologize for that. But all i was tryin to do is for those of us that have lost those cards let the info out so they could get to it easily. Just tryin to share a lil knowledge i have.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Stokeless_TSX
Sorry if you guys feel that im advertising for people to rob us i wasn't and i apologize for that. But all i was tryin to do is for those of us that have lost those cards let the info out so they could get to it easily. Just tryin to share a lil knowledge i have.
Sharing knowledge is a good thing. That's why this board is here. Keep it up.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The car actually comes with 3 radio code stickers from the manufacturer. Two have both the radio code and the audio s/n printed on them, the 3rd has just the s/n. The dealer is supposed to stick only the s/n sticker inside the glove box, so the s/n can by used to retrieve the radio code thru the Honda/Acura network. The two stickers with the actual radio code on them are supposed to be stuck to the veh. paperwork. Often the dealers will hide one of the code stickers somewhere in the car (their not supposed to) to make it easier to reset the radio. Some end up in the trunk, some in the glovebox, others inside the cupholder lid etc,etc. If you don't like the code exposed in your car, peel it off...
Old 06-22-2004, 02:28 PM
VP Electricity

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, Dan, I had an alarm customer in the 90's whose GS-R was stripped in his driveway. Both F seats, all 4 wheels, the stereo and changer, and both airbags.

He became an alarm customer after that, BTW : ) About $650 US in security.

So, yeah, I think somebody would try taking the navi out.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:33 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Someone (probably the dealer) put one of the sets of stickers with the actual codes on the left outside of my glovebox (so you have to open it to see it, but they're plainly visible from the driver's seat. I keep meaning to take them off...
Old 03-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Instructor

I Cant Find The Code .can Anyone Help
Old 03-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by hondatypes
I Cant Find The Code .can Anyone Help
You bought the car new?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Advanced

Smile Radio codes

Hey...not all dealers put the codes there...your particluar dealer did that when they did the PDI...Most dealers keep this info on file when the car is sold (we do).
There are other hiding spots that it can be in too...(not gonna say).There is also a trick on some new cars (01+) to pull the serial number from the radio (needed to get the code) with out pulling the radio..If a car comes in to my dealer and I need the code,I just usually call the selling dealer..they'll usually have it..
Old 04-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Randy
Hey...not all dealers put the codes there...your particluar dealer did that when they did the PDI...Most dealers keep this info on file when the car is sold (we do).
There are other hiding spots that it can be in too...(not gonna say).There is also a trick on some new cars (01+) to pull the serial number from the radio (needed to get the code) with out pulling the radio..If a car comes in to my dealer and I need the code,I just usually call the selling dealer..they'll usually have it..

Different dealers put them in different places. The dealership that does the official PDI (pre delivery inspection) on the car ABSOLUTELY HAS TO enter the key code, radio code, and navi code (if applicable) into their service file computer for that car. This is a requirement of the factory when it comes to initializing the car for purchase. This information cannot be shared between dealers on a network because once the car is sold, it is also documented with the purchaser. Sharing this information would be a serious violation of many privacy laws (state/federal/etc).

If you do not have the factory provided card that has the radio and navi codes on it, call the dealership that completed the PDI on the car (which will be in the first 4 pages of your service book in your provided portfolio) and have them provide them. You'll want to also write these numbers on something else (like a business card) and store this in a safe place.

In order to acquire the codes in the case of not having them available, you have to remove the actual head unit, acquire the serial number, and have the dealer use the Honda Interactive Network to submit this number to get the code. If you don't take the head unit out yourself, you'll be looking at dropping the expense of 1 hour of labor to pull the head unit.