Problem with car pulling right, help/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with car pulling right, help/suggestions?

Hey all!

Having a problem with my 2006 Acura pulling failry hard right when driving. Doesn't really matter what road or highway lane I'm on, car is constantly drifting to the right. Very annoying, always having to compensate by holding steering wheel few degrees to left, especially at higher speeds on highway.

Problem seemed to start about a month ago when I got my winter tires switched out with my summer tires, stock yokohamas. I got the car alighned at this same time. Thought maybe the mechanic messed the alighnment up or something, so recently I took it in again to a very reputable shop in the area, and got the car re-alighned and all 4 wheels balanced. Well, car still pulls just as hard to the right.

I never had a problem with this pull when I first got the car, so I don't think it's a problem with the tires. Nor have I been in any sort of accident that would have bent something.

Anyone have similiar problem, and some sort solution they used? It's a very annoying problem, and frustrated I've spent how much money with no fix.

I've owned the car for a year now, it has 62K miles, bought it pre-owned. Unfortunatley, the full warranty has expired, but still do have powertrain. Could this possibly be a problem with suspension/axle components? Maybe see if stealership can figure problem out, and hopefully something that is covered.

Any help is appreciated! Love the forum!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because you can pin the problem as starting about a month ago, I would say it is one of three things: 1) the tires, 2) the alignment, 3) you didn't notice it but last month all of the roads that you drive on were redone and now have a few degree bank to the right.

I would have to suggest #2 being the problem. When you got either alignment did you get the specifications for each wheel? That should point to a problem if it is adjusted incorrectly.

Also, do you have a separate set of wheels for the car or are you just changing the tires each season?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happens frequently when tires don't get rotated. When you pull them off and put winter tires on, you don't notice any difference. When you go and put your summer wheels on, you don't put the same wheel/tire at the same corner. The wear pattern is fairly specific to each corner (hence the need for rotating) and you are feeling the abnormal tire wear causing a pull. If they're non-directional, swap the fronts, you'll surely notice a difference.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had this problem as well, jut not as bad as yours sounds. i fixed it with an alignment and rotating my tires