Possible Bad/Worn Shock?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Possible Bad/Worn Shock?

I recently noticed a "gas compression" like sound coming from the right rear wheel when going over any abrupt elevation changes in the road (bumps, dips, anything that the suspension has to moderately travel to respond to). I've never noticed this sound before, and it seems to only come from the right rear of the car.

As far as I can tell, the feel of the ride hasn't changed much. The car has 146k miles on the clock, so it's possible I haven't noticed anything if the change has been gradual.

I still need to take it in to have the P.S. recall done (I know I know...way overdue) and to have the drivers seat belt buckle replaced, so I was thinking of having the dealer check it out if it won't cost me an arm and a leg (hoping they have some sort of free "inspection" sort of thing).

Would you suspect a worn shock? I'm trying to think of a better way to describe the sound...it sounds exactly like a shock being compressed/decompressed rapidly. It's not very loud (I can only hear it if I have the radio off) and the sound only exists when the suspension components are moving. It doesn't happen a fraction of a second before or after. Hopefully this makes sense, lol!

If it is the shock, should I replace both of the rears? The fronts as well? Should I buy OEM shocks or are there any good after market solutions?

If it's NOT the shock...could it be something else? What else around the right rear wheel would make such a sound?

I haven't looked at it yet to see if the shock is leaking or not...I suppose that'd be the first thing to do.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Sweet!

I suppose I should update those that are dying to know (lol)...

I took my car to the dealer to have the power steering feed hose recall done and to have them replace the driver's seat belt buckle. They gave me a 2010 TSX (4 cyl) as a loaner. The loaner had 6k miles on it and I noticed the same sound coming from the rear suspension. The only difference is that it was slightly quieter than in my car.

Soo, with that said, I'm confused! I've had this car for years and only recently started noticing the sound. However, since I heard it while driving a new TSX, I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
That is usually normal. For worn struts you can usually check these things out;

cupped tires
corner bounces instead of rebounding once when pushing down and releasing
seepage from strut
loose strut.

The noise you hear is pretty much normal for a lot of cars.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Sweet!

Before having the loaner I stood in the trunk and bounced up and down. The car felt solid...no bounce, simply down and return (I had to almost jump to get any sort of travel), and zero noise from the suspension. I haven't noticed any leaking fluid and my tires seem to be wearing normally.

When paying attention to how the car responds to bumps/dips in the road, everything feels fine and no one wheel seems to respond any differently.

Some days I hear the nose more than others, but I think it's one of those "once you notice it sticks out like a sore thumb."

I'm just surprised it took 140k miles to notice, lol. I guess I'm , but I don't mind.