Paint Blemishes...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Blemishes...PLEASE HELP

Hi everyone, I am new member and this will be my first post. Sorry guys, it's gonna be a long one....need help with this.

7 months after getting my NHB TSX, i started noticing these white dots appearing on the hood, roof and trunk lid. A week later i called the Touch of Class folks to come and clean up the car since i bought a 5 year warranty with them. Upon close inspection, the detailer said the spots were not caused from bird droppings but instead, paint popping from underneath. I wasn't exactly sure what he mean, but he said it was a manufacture defect. He said he seen this happen only on NHB TSX.

As time went by, more spots appeared. Since my 10,000 mile service was coming up, i figured i wait until then to bring it to the dealer's attention. The day finally came and after the service and car wash was done, the people at the dealer had no clue why the paint was doing that. They told me to come back the next week because the District Manager will be there and he makes all the decisions on the warranty stuff. I figured cool, they're gonna respray my car.

The next week, they called me to come in. I TRIED to explained to the District Manager what was going on and what the professional detailer had told me. I've also printed out the thread from this website about the paint blemishes for him to know that i'm not the only one out there with this problem.

Man, the district manager was a total prick! The people at the dealer was nice but this guy...man, if i had a knife, i would of totally stuck it in his neck. While explaining to him what was going on, he walked away to go look at the car. Then i handed him the printed thread and he looked at the cover and then gave it back to me. Not only that, he told me that they're not gonna cover it. He said it was over-spray from street paint, or better yet, he said it was from a new building being painted. It gets better....he told me that clay would take it right off! Then i told him that the paint has chipped off and he said that clay would work.

Okay, this is getting a little irritating. I told him, look, i'll take it to a detailer and have him clay these chips off, and if it doesnt work, would the warranty cover it. He said no again. He also corrected me and told me that bodyshop guys do the clay, not detailers. Then i told him, look, clay wont take it off if there's nothing to take off, it's showing the metal! So he finally understands what's going on, and he replies, oh, the over spray must have ate up your paint. He told me i should call the Touch of Class folks and file a claim since their product did not protect my car against over spray or i should go through my insurance. I got pissed off and left, i didn't want to see him in fear i might punch his lights out. The folks at the dealer did their best to help me out, but this guy......

Well guys, that's my story...any ideas as to what i can do now? I only had the car for less than a year. PLease HELP
Old 12-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a note to Honda North America.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With his name, position and the dealer which he works at. Put all the detail in and highlight his rudeness.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Any pics? Are you sure that this is some paing defect and not just a lot of tiny rock chips? My front bumper and hood is literally covered with tiny rock chips since my car was about 1 yr old, and it's only getting worst. I can only say that the paint on the TSX sucks.

In any case, contact Honda North America in Cali. I'd be interested to see how they respond.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronng
With his name, position and the dealer which he works at. Put all the detail in and highlight his rudeness.
TOTALLY AGREE
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aaronng
Though you may want to leave out the part about wanting to stick a knife in his neck.

Sounds like rock chips to me. How much do you drive? On the highway mostly? Pics?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if its only been 7 mos, and you've put 10k on it already, thats almost 1500 miles a month. So thats a lot of driving. Search around and you will find others with the same "problem". Plain and simple, Honda paint sucks.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

i have a NHP and the paint really sucks.. I have rock chip on my hood that is starting to rust.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

At first i thought it was rock chips, but it doesnt explain the hood and the trunk. Rocks exactly dont fall out of the sky. I'll have picks for you guys this weekend. I'm looking at my car right now and the blemishes is starting to show on the driver side quarter panel. I commute a lot to work and school. When i drive, i avoid driving behind trucks and vans. I really appreciate the input guys. Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Nissin Ramen

Originally Posted by moda_way
Send a note to Honda North America.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:44 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

Hood and front fenders could be rock chips. My car has nearly one million of these after 42k miles (NHB paint), but what can you do? As for the rear quarter panels and trunk lid, that's a mystery. Either way, you should run this up the flagpole at Honda/Acura if you feel you were treated poorly (sounds like you were) and also if you don't think it's normal "rock chip" type damage.

It sounds like the DSM was just making up possible causes. "Caustic overspray. Sun spots. Bee pollen. Tree frogs..." He sounds like a b.s. type, I'd definitely plaster his name all over your correspondence. Talk to the GM of the dealership -- it's his business who sold you the car and his business that stands to lose your repeat biz, word-of-mouth, etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Driver/Detailer

Feel it with your hand. If you can feel it, it's rock chips. If you can't feel it and it's totally smooth, the paint is failing from the inside.