Oil change and whine when accelerating on 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change and whine when accelerating on 1st gear

Hello, its me again. I only post on this side haha.

I will do an oil change on my car with mobil 1 5w30 oil. Is there any recommendation for an oil change on my car? (2006 acura tsx ).

Also, I just realized, well not rigght now but for a few weeks I have this weird whine sound, like when you are driving in reverse but now on the 1st gear, when my car is accelerating on first gear I hear it until It shifts to second gear, I only hear it then after that its gone. Should I check this out with a mechanic?

Also another question, has anyone here succesfully replaced their nav screen with a tablet or something? I dont want to pay 300$ to repair or acquire an used nav unit to recover screen functions. Is there a way to bypass the nav unit and just have the screen working for AC and radio control?.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
your oil choice is great!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:37 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Have you tried your local car audio install place in town? I would consider an upgrade even if the new system was 4X more expensive compared to a used nave screen if the system could replace all screen functions as the OEM Navi touch screen and give added features like back up cam, bluetooth audio, weather/traffic, back-up navi system, play movies, etc... Some folks did the non-navi to navi conversion. I don't see why you couldn't do a navi to non-navi reversal?: https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-v...s-pics-292466/ Considering the age of the TSX and the cost of conversion or aftermarket unit; it might be cheaper just to sell and purchase another TSX the way you want it? The 07-08 TSXs are identical to the 06 TSX with the only addition being TPMS for the +07 being added.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 high mileage on my 06 TSX since the first oil change at 5K (now have +140,000 miles). I just use Acura oil filters and have drop-in K/N air filter I clean every spring. The TSX is the kid's college car now and he just keeps the A/C on Auto and uses the AUX plug to connect his smartphone for music. He never presses the OK button to activate the navi when he is in the car.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-27-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

I might consider the reversal. All I want is the screen to work for ac and radio? At least set the clock. Thanks.

I bought the normal oil. Should have bought the high mileage. My car just got 140000 miles . I bought a porulator filter for it. Haven't installed it yet or done the oil change, is the filter ok? I do have a tight budget as I pay for my college tuition .

The main issue is that the car is not under my name yet , it's an old car my aunt was about to sell really cheap and I happened to come to where she lives to finish my degree and she gave it to me to use , been almost a year now with the car and I have done repairs and maintenance to the car, Though I will probably buy the car at the price she wants.

So far it's amazing to drive and the lack of screen is no issue besides the ac and clock. I use a Bluetooth aux adapter for music and the Bluetooth from the car for the phone.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
your oil choice and filter is fine! they will do their job!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
Yeah, the high mileage contains seal-swelling agents that can help if you have oil leaks. But if not, it's probably not critical.

You may want to change your transmission fluid and see if the noise continues.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Any syn oil is 100% fine with the TSX. I should clarify, I used regular Mobil 1 5w-30 until I went over 80,000 miles and switched to the high mileage formula of 5w-30. I've had zero issues with burning or leaking oil with my TSX. You really have to make a effort to kill the 2.4L engine in the TSX. It might be the most reliable engine Honda/Acura made in recent years. Acura/Honda also figured out and corrected the 5AT issues with all vehicles produced around the same model year as the 06 TSX that plagued the previous gens so bad before switching to 6AT. I just change out the AT fluid and that seems to smooth out any issue I've had with the 5AT in my TSX or RDX (must use Acura/Honda AT fluid).

Can't say the same about power steering rack/pump, alternator, suspension parts, or little electronic stuff like navi system or door actuators. Those item will give you issues for the life of the car.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-27-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Any syn oil is 100% fine with the TSX. I should clarify, I used regular Mobil 1 5w-30 until I went over 80,000 miles and switched to the high mileage formula of 5w-30. I've had zero issues with burning or leaking oil with my TSX. You really have to make a effort to kill the 2.4L engine in the TSX. It might be the most reliable engine Honda/Acura made in recent years. Acura/Honda also figured out and corrected the 5AT issues with all vehicles produced around the same model year as the 06 TSX that plagued the previous gens so bad before switching to 6AT. I just change out the AT fluid and that seems to smooth out any issue I've had with the 5AT in my TSX or RDX (must use Acura/Honda AT fluid).

Can't say the same about power steering rack/pump, alternator, suspension parts, or little electronic stuff like navi system or door actuators. Those item will give you issues for the life of the car.
Hey, I did an oil change to 100% synthetic, I will never take it to jiffy lube again, I was unable to open the oil pan to change oil because the way they closed it and the oil the used was cheap. I bought my oil and did the change in a mechanic place with the tools I needed. Perfect now, not even a whine noise when going in first year. Thanks

Right now I seem t ohave a bad alternator, the battery wont hold a charge and the voltage on the battery when the car is on is abotu 11.8 volts. So it seems my car keeps running into some troubles but that is expected with the mileage it has and the history of the car in the past couple years.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by Mytre
I might consider the reversal. All I want is the screen to work for ac and radio? At least set the clock. Thanks.

I bought the normal oil. Should have bought the high mileage. My car just got 140000 miles . I bought a porulator filter for it. Haven't installed it yet or done the oil change, is the filter ok? I do have a tight budget as I pay for my college tuition .

The main issue is that the car is not under my name yet , it's an old car my aunt was about to sell really cheap and I happened to come to where she lives to finish my degree and she gave it to me to use , been almost a year now with the car and I have done repairs and maintenance to the car, Though I will probably buy the car at the price she wants.

So far it's amazing to drive and the lack of screen is no issue besides the ac and clock. I use a Bluetooth aux adapter for music and the Bluetooth from the car for the phone.
Your aunt seems like a nice lady!

You can buy used screens on eBay. Are you sure that's what's wrong with it? I am almost certain any 04-08 screen will work. I swapped an 06 screen into a 04 before.

You can use the auto function for the AC/heater. And there's another clock on the dash.

The clock is out? You sure its the screen that's having issues and not the DVD control unit in the trunk?
Old 03-21-2018, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BROlando
Your aunt seems like a nice lady!

You can buy used screens on eBay. Are you sure that's what's wrong with it? I am almost certain any 04-08 screen will work. I swapped an 06 screen into a 04 before.

You can use the auto function for the AC/heater. And there's another clock on the dash.

The clock is out? You sure its the screen that's having issues and not the DVD control unit in the trunk?
Hey, sorry for the no answer .

THe clock works, is just set in a really weird hour. It is the dvd contrl unit on the trunk, not the screen. Should have said that, RIght now I have the dvd control unit in my house while I try to hack it a bit (I am a computer engineer student). I want to remove the whole dvd control unit and transfer it to a small arduino with an ssd or a raspberry pi, I need to clone the firmware and stuff to be able to interact with the car and find a way to use the same input and output as the dvd unit for all the cables.

i use the auto function which works kind off , my main issue is not being able to lets say use xm radio completely, or change the hour and other small stuff. the gps aint worth much as I use my phone. At this point I am now just playing with the card a bit to see if I can make it better haha.

On a side note, seems like somebody before I used the car tried to break in, I thought that the noise in the cabin was high for this model but it seems its not, the door is bent slightly leaving a big gap along with some damage on the rubber , so driving on the highway means I hear a lot of wind noise to a point where my ears might hurt a bit after 30 minutes on the highway.... I want to avoid tinnitus so I will try to fix that.