Not able to customize Multi-Information Display

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not able to customize Multi-Information Display

My Multi-Information Display says "Driver unknown'customize' impossible" even though i use my remote transmitter to unlock my doors. Has anyone ever had this problem or knows how to fix it?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Poser / Fanboi

You have to link the key FOB to your car.

Read the white text on the back side of the key FOB.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hunterk1
You have to link the key FOB to your car.

Read the white text on the back side of the key FOB.
Is this done by the dealer?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by White92
Is this done by the dealer?
The white text will tell you to push the lock and unlock button together at the same time. I suppose you can drive it over to the dealer so they can push the two buttons together for you...

Anyway, after both buttons are pressed, the FOB is linked to the car, and then the settings can be changed. Until they are linked, the car doesn't know whether to set the settings for Driver 1 or Driver 2. I think basically it turns on/off the transmission of whether the remote is Driver 1 or Driver 2 (the remotes still work if the FOB's are unlinked...and TSX's without memory link can only use the remote if it's left unlinked).
Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a lot of trouble getting this working too.. I think the manual says to push both the lock & unlock at the same time until the light blinks twice, open and close the drivers side door, lock and unlock the car with the remote, and you should see "Welcome Driver 1" after you turn the ignition on.. you only see "Welcome" when you open the door and will not see "Driver 1/2" until you turn the ignition on.

What I found was that if the remote blinked twice, it was unlinking the remote.. if I repeated the procedure and it gave me a single blink, it was linked. Honestly, I thought the manual could be a little bit clearer on this. I also looked for details on this in the 2000+ page service manual, and the only thing I was able to find was how to get the car to recognize a new/replacement remote transmitter, and it was only half of a page.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by cwinterrowd
I had a lot of trouble getting this working too..[...]
It definitely isn't as straightforward as it could be. I remember pushing the buttons together, getting in the car and seeing if it took, it didn't, trying again... and again... and again... yeah, the single/double blink is what you're looking for (on the remote - that little tiny light).
Old 04-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

lol i went to the dealer and they linked it up in minutes. they said a lot of people have trouble doing it because the manual is not very clear
Old 04-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Also, as per p. 85 (of the 2006 manual), if you use the key to open the driver's door, you get the DRIVER UNKNOWN "CUSTOMIZE" IMPOSSIBLE (an awkward error message if I say so).
Old 04-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
I wish you could get the MID to say 'Hello, (name)' in there instead of 'Driver 1', lol
Old 04-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by surf4fun0418
I wish you could get the MID to say 'Hello, (name)' in there instead of 'Driver 1', lol
(With apologies to "dave"spalding)

Dave: Hello, TSX, do you read me, TSX?
TSX: Affirmative, Dave, I read you.
Dave: Open the driver's side door, TSX.
TSX: I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave: What's the problem?
TSX: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

(...it could go on, but that's enough...)
Old 04-20-2008, 03:58 PM

^ Bastard beat me to it....

"Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency trunk release."
"Without your LED key fob, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult...."

I've been tempted to print up the Zero Gravity Toilet instructions as an aluminum label. As it is, I have a couple of aluminum vinyl labels I've bought off a Star Trek senior illustrator, just looking for a place to put one. "Danger: Plasma Manifold" over the not an ashtray?
Old 04-20-2008, 04:05 PM

I'd settle for
Good Morning
Captain
Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Poser / Fanboi

Originally Posted by davidspalding
"Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency trunk release."
"Without your LED key fob, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult...."
Good stuff.

Seems like others have broken into the navi and made customizations... I wonder where the text for the MID is stored? If you could find it and it was on rewritable flash memory it could be updated... I don't have the time to pursue this though but it would be a fun (and probably free) mod!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It worked!

I had a lot of trouble getting this working too.. I think the manual says to push both the lock & unlock at the same time until the light blinks twice, open and close the drivers side door, lock and unlock the car with the remote, and you should see "Welcome Driver 1" after you turn the ignition on.. you only see "Welcome" when you open the door and will not see "Driver 1/2" until you turn the ignition on.

What I found was that if the remote blinked twice, it was unlinking the remote.. if I repeated the procedure and it gave me a single blink, it was linked. Honestly, I thought the manual could be a little bit clearer on this. I also looked for details on this in the 2000+ page service manual, and the only thing I was able to find was how to get the car to recognize a new/replacement remote transmitter, and it was only half of a page.
cwinterrowd, your instructions worked perfectly. Thanks for posting!
The following users liked this post:
Jill-of-all-Trades (12-29-2021)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:06 PM
1st Gear

Thank you, thank you, thank you

I have wasted two entire days trying to figure this out. Your method finally worked. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

fobs don't blink when I press lock/unlock

I'm trying tofto get my06 tsx todto recognize driver 1 or 2 so ibI can get into the customizing menu .I press lock/unlock together on either of my key fobs and nothing. No blinks at all when both are pressed. Both fobs work fine to look or unlock the doors and roll down the windows ECT. But I've been trying to get this to work for days I've searched everywhere I can find . Does anyone else have this issue? Or is there something broken somewhere? I've also found that my hfl Bluetooth it now functional. When I press the back or ,talk buttons once/together/for 5 or 10 seconds .. And a dozen other ways I've got nothing. Any advice?