newbie, rattling behind the rear seats!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 05:21 PM
gbm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy newbie, rattling behind the rear seats!

Hi all, my TSX has about 400 miles on it, and while some squeaks and rattles have come and gone due to breaking-in, this metallic rattle developed a couple of days ago hasn't stopped. The rattle seems to come from right underneath the seat lock in the rear, and when this small black box right underneath it inside the trunk is tapped it replicates the noise heard when on the road. Anyboy experience this? Is this common? What is this little black box? Much appreciated!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by gbm
...rattle seems to come from right underneath the seat lock in the rear
The spring in the trunk maybe loosen.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Intermediate

I have the same problem....still have not figured it out but it from exactly where yours is also. let me know if anyone comes up with a fix.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 AM
kai!

i have rattling in the back too in my 06...i'm in the process of changing the door speakers as we speak and just got done an hour ago with the 6x9s. The rattling got worse with the louder bass from my Alpine 6x9s...can't hear it inside the car even with full volume and bass turned up all the way (sounds great, I'm in love with these speakers already!!!), but when you're outside near the trunk or if the trunk is open you can definately hear it. The rattling was there before even with the stock speakers too though. I actually went to my trunk and started messing around to find out what the hell was causing it and found out that it has something to do with the black strut looking thingys that go across the roof of the trunk. When I squeezed the two struts together the rattling stopped, except when the bass went really low with the highest volume and bass settings. I tried electric taping (only tape I have here right now) the two struts together similar to how i was squeezing and holding them, but it was too stretchy and weak so it continued to rattle. I'm almost about to take it to the dealership and tell them to fix it because it's really annoying. I'll try duct tape when i get my hands on some tomorrow. For now...back to installing my 6.5"s!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM
gbm
Intermediate

Problem fixed!

First of all, hats off to the Acura service department! The whole process took about 30 minutes, and the experience was nothing short of fantastic. Now, let me tell you what the mechanic told me, and hopefully this will help those with the same but now non-existent problem. That little black box right underneath the keybox behind the rear seats, he told me, is a damper of some sort. It's supposed to be hanging from the roof of the trunk (more like sitting), but for some reason it was ever so slightly dislocated. causing a part of the damper to rattle against the top. So he simply straightened it out, and voila! I think I know how this could've happened to a brand new car. About a week ago, I was coming back to school from Thanksgiving break, and of course, my dad, ever so generous and caring as he is, filled up my trunk with goodies and necessities. I can tell you that it was filled up to the extent that I wondered if it won't hurt the inside top of the trunk, knowing that there are some levers and stuff. And sure enough, it started to rattle after that! So there! I really hope this helps you guys, and I would recommend that you take your car to the dealer right away! Perhaps you can even suggest that they look closely at the damper in the trunk. Let us know if you do fix it!
Old 12-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
And I thought that rattle was in my head.....