New windshield @ 30K

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:48 PM
Master in Science

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New windshield @ 30K

A nasty rock hit me while driving up an on-ramp. There was a truck up ahead, about 20-30 ft, and I felt the distance was good enough; but boy was I wrong! It made a little 4-legged star on the window. By next afternoon, it had an arm several inches long. Every time I sat in the car, I felt like I was in a terrible accident.

I called the dealer, and they quoted me $835. I said okay, without any more thought about pursuing that venue. I shopped online and settled on 89 Glass -- lots of positive feedback. Called them up and they were closed. Called another random firm, and made an appt. Screw the research. The web site says they are certified by "SafeTech" -- whatever that means -- I'll go with "SafeTech"-certified technicians...

I got the new glass Saturday morning, installed by Safelite (some national glass corp). It looks exactly the same as stock. It just doesn't have the Honda name on it. Total cost of repair: $249, including CA taxes.

I'm satisfied.

Next up, new tires...
Old 05-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Banned

no Honda mark
Old 05-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

Sloo7- it must be the jinx of I-5. I got my windshield cracked driving to encinitas about 3 months ago. I had to get a new windshield as well. I used my insurance which covered a Honda windshield...although I dont know why I did considering I think it is the worst windshield I have owned. The old one and now the new is already slightly pitted. Also, I had many tiny chips in every windshield of all of my previous cars, but none of those needed replacement. I think you did fine with your replacement choice.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

what happened with my friends isonce he took his car in and acura saw there was no honda etching in the glass, they did it and charge a couple hund
i just broke my windshield. dont know what to do
Old 05-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had mine less than a week, exited I5 and was about 2 miles away and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it. Less than a week! I was quoted $485.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

I paid my $250 deductible for comprehensive insurance, your insurance company should help you out
Old 05-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Instructor

I just had mine replaced, cost me 195.00 total
Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro

had mine replaced 2 weeks ago 20000 miles & I wished I hadn't
the windshield is fine but they didn't pay that much attention to detail when putting it back in. So there was like glue & sht on the car .... the plastic under the windshield wiper is not put back even. a mess i should have just let them put silicon in.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:07 AM
Pro

oh by the way i have full glass no deductible.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Had mine replaced about 3 months after I got the car; late 2003. Hub cap was kicked up from the highway.

Try finding a windshield when the car has been on US soil for 6 months. I too had full glass coverage AND I got the OEM piece of glass. Had to have it overnighted from Cali I think.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
I know this is kind of not related but I have been wondering if replacing the seal around my windshield would get rid the rice crispie sounds i hear near the rear view mirror location...
Old 05-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Guinea Pig

Rice crispy sound? Hmmmmm? I hear a popping from my passenger side lower corner every once in a while.

To all that have had the windshield replaced.....Have you had any problems with wind noise since replacement? I need to replace mine, but since there use to be problems with the TSX windshield and wind noise I am a little hessitant. Just wondering.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CJams
To all that have had the windshield replaced.....Have you had any problems with wind noise since replacement? I need to replace mine, but since there use to be problems with the TSX windshield and wind noise I am a little hessitant. Just wondering.
I never had wind noise and still do not. However, the fitment of the clipped on seal on the driver's side is an issue. It is loose for me and will not completely clip in.

BTW, make sure you are there when they put your new windshield in. Ever since they started sending one person to put windshields in (cost cutter) the idiots lean all over your car and put dents in it. I have an almost unnoticeable one over my passenger side... Eventhough it is slight, I still know it is there.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:18 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by jiggaman
I know this is kind of not related but I have been wondering if replacing the seal around my windshield would get rid the rice crispie sounds i hear near the rear view mirror location...
mine comes and goes since I had my winshield replaced. its warm now so I never appears, I'll have it looked at when its back in the fall
Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 AM
Master in Science

1. My insurance doesn't cover glass replacement, so I had to pay in full. The deductible is $500.

2. Wind noise has not been an issue at all. I just returned from a 1,200-mile trip around CA today -- going over 90 mph on the I-5 -- and wind noise was the same, or less, than with OEM glass.

3. I haven't driven in cold weather yet, but I suspect the pop pop noises will not appear again. The glue used by the repairman was very thick and provides a good seal. If anyone is having this noises in cold weather, the dealer needs to look at the seal fitting and possibly replace the rubber seals; or add some felt in between the glass and rubber. You should not have to replace the windshield! Although I'm glad I don't have a window full of pits any more.

Regards,

A
Old 05-23-2005, 07:17 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by xizor
mine comes and goes since I had my winshield replaced. its warm now so I never appears, I'll have it looked at when its back in the fall

that sound is not temp. dependant unfortunately.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slo007
A nasty rock hit me while driving up an on-ramp. There was a truck up ahead, about 20-30 ft, and I felt the distance was good enough; but boy was I wrong! It made a little 4-legged star on the window. By next afternoon, it had an arm several inches long. Every time I sat in the car, I felt like I was in a terrible accident.

I called the dealer, and they quoted me $835. I said okay, without any more thought about pursuing that venue. I shopped online and settled on 89 Glass -- lots of positive feedback. Called them up and they were closed. Called another random firm, and made an appt. Screw the research. The web site says they are certified by "SafeTech" -- whatever that means -- I'll go with "SafeTech"-certified technicians...

I got the new glass Saturday morning, installed by Safelite (some national glass corp). It looks exactly the same as stock. It just doesn't have the Honda name on it. Total cost of repair: $249, including CA taxes.

I'm satisfied.

Next up, new tires...
Join the club. 2 chips on the front windshield so far. Both sealed over. Pitted to hell on the windshield. Seems the windshield on the TSX chips way too easy.

The 56 freeway and the 805/5 merge are bad for chipped/pitted windshields due to all the construction.

Just did the new tires a month ago. Kumhos. Not too bad.

BTW, for future reference, All Star Glass (all over SoCal) does decent work.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Windhshield repairs and replacements are free in Florida..........no deductible.........Florida law.........
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Originally Posted by LoveMyTSX
Windhshield repairs and replacements are free in Florida..........no deductible.........Florida law.........

any massholes know if we have that same law?
Old 05-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm satisfied.

Next up, new tires...

Here in San Antonio, the Trouble Shooters did a story on damage received from hauling trucks. They say that companies are liable at times to pay for any damage to your vehicle from their cargo. Like if they are hauling gravel that chips your window and it is not covered...the trucking company is liable.

Check this web site out!
http://www.woai.com/troubleshooters/investigations/

Story is about half way down the page titled Uncovered Trucks Dump on Your Windshield.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by caz1604
Here in San Antonio, the Trouble Shooters did a story on damage received from hauling trucks. They say that companies are liable at times to pay for any damage to your vehicle from their cargo. Like if they are hauling gravel that chips your window and it is not covered...the trucking company is liable.

Check this web site out!
http://www.woai.com/troubleshooters/investigations/

Story is about half way down the page titled Uncovered Trucks Dump on Your Windshield.
Okay, I just saw it again...they didn't say they are liable. They said the following:

So what do you do if your car is damaged by debris from a truck and the police aren't around? A couple of trucking companies told us they will pay for damaged windshields. They say if you can write down the truck number, or license plate number and the exact location where the incident occurred.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Looking at the '15 TLX

Originally Posted by caz1604
Okay, I just saw it again...they didn't say they are liable. They said the following:

So what do you do if your car is damaged by debris from a truck and the police aren't around? A couple of trucking companies told us they will pay for damaged windshields. They say if you can write down the truck number, or license plate number and the exact location where the incident occurred.
Heh. Here in Cali they have disclaimers on the backs of their trucks (much like everything else in litigation happy CA) warning you to stay 200-300 FT back and that they are explicitly NOT responsible for any damages.

Windshield repairs were free with my Insurance Co. Replacement will still be subject to the deductible.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stevestr
Heh. Here in Cali they have disclaimers on the backs of their trucks (much like everything else in litigation happy CA) warning you to stay 200-300 FT back and that they are explicitly NOT responsible for any damages.

Windshield repairs were free with my Insurance Co. Replacement will still be subject to the deductible.
Did you go to the website and watch the video? At leaset here in SA...according to the story, they said those are just warnings and nothing more.

And what about the signs you see on the back of a lot of trucks that read "Stay back 200 feet. Not responsible for broken windshields?" Police say that's not true.

Even the trucking companies we contacted admit, this is just a warning for other drivers not to follow too closely.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by jiggaman
My rear view mirror was creaking like it's cracking. Dealership replaced the whole mirror unit with a new one, creaking gone. I think it has to do with too much sunshine then hardened the plastic on the backside.

-KC
Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
04 remembrance

I'm getting mine replaced @26k.

Damn trucks!
Old 06-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Instructor

I'm at 21K miles and just had a crack put in my windshield this morning on the way to work. A big rock came bouncing and hit low on the driver's side windshield - I heard the glass crack. A semi-circle shaped crack about 2-3 inches in diameter, with the spot where the rock hit in the center. I was going up an on-ramp and there was a truck in front of me - but not a hauling truck, more like a moving truck, no openings in back, so I don't know where the rock came from, unless it was actually a piece of metal or something that fell off the side. I guess this is going to come out of my insurance deductible. Oof.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:31 PM
Burning Brakes

just replaced my windshield this morning at 24000 kms. city truck blew a huge rock from under its rock guard even. i was in a serious hurry and it was raining so i couldnt get the license plate. cost 430$ CDN. just paid it cash and moved on.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Instructor

As I was driving back through the spot where the rock hit again this morning, I noticed that there is high overpass that goes right over the spot where the rock hit, so I'm thinking maybe the rock actually came over the side of that. That would explain how it hit the windshield with enough force to put that crack in it.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Instructor

So is there any truth to this statement that it's better to just repair smaller cracks rather than replacing the windshield, because the new seal will never be as good as the factory seal? Is it really a noticeable difference in the quality of the seal? How would this affect the experience of driving the car?
Old 06-10-2005, 12:22 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by o_nate
So is there any truth to this statement that it's better to just repair smaller cracks rather than replacing the windshield, because the new seal will never be as good as the factory seal? Is it really a noticeable difference in the quality of the seal? How would this affect the experience of driving the car?
The new seal on my replacement windshield is as good as the OEM. There's very little wind noise inside the cabin. I hear more engine noise than wind, and only over 4,000 RPM, at 90+ mph.

I don't see how the seal would affect the driving aspect of the car; unless it was done poorly.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

is there a difference between OEM glass and non-OEM? one of the places i got a quote from told me that I should spend the extra $250 for an OEM one.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by Kwangmin
is there a difference between OEM glass and non-OEM? one of the places i got a quote from told me that I should spend the extra $250 for an OEM one.
the Honda logo is the only difference, I was told all glass comes from a couple of distributers and automakers rebrand it.
Old 06-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by Kwangmin
Mine is exactly the same spec, and comes with a lifetime warranty. That's better than stock, which expires at 48,000 miles!
Old 06-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Instructor

My insurance won't cover the cost of replacement, since it's less than my deductible. I think I'm just going to wait until I get a few more rock chips and scratches (or even another crack) before I replace it though. It's not getting any bigger, and it's not that noticeable - so I'm not in any hurry. Rocks are an inevitable part of life on the turnpike, so I might as well let a few more hit on this windshield since I know I'll have to replace it eventually.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Master in Science

My insurance won't cover the cost of replacement, since it's less than my deductible. I think I'm just going to wait until I get a few more rock chips and scratches (or even another crack) before I replace it though. It's not getting any bigger, and it's not that noticeable - so I'm not in any hurry. Rocks are an inevitable part of life on the turnpike, so I might as well let a few more hit on this windshield since I know I'll have to replace it eventually.
In an accident, the windshield will prevent debris from entering the cabin and striking you. If the car rolls over, however unlikely, the windshield will help support the roof. I've read the roof can be as much 30% stronger with a good windshield in place.

Hence, I must disagree with you. If you have a little star on the glass, you should replace it right-a-away!

You car's safety features are only as good as how you maintain your car.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:25 AM
Looking at the '15 TLX

You should at least get the stars epoxied. Though they won't do that if the center of the stars are more than the size of a dime.

I have had my two dings epoxied and they are holding up rather well. One is almost a year old and still holding strong.

My insurance deductible is $500 and the glass quotes were all at or below that number. My insurance offered free ding repairs (@ $39 each normally) so that is the route I went.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Instructor

It's not a star. It's a semi-circle, like a crescent moon. It doesn't seem to be growing. I guess it might help to put a little glue in it. But honestly, I doubt that little crack would make much difference if the car rolled over.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Because Of You

I'm satisfied.

Next up, new tires...

What brand is it? Is it PGP? My friend fixes windshield for living.
He told me to ask for PGP.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:37 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

It's not a star. It's a semi-circle, like a crescent moon. It doesn't seem to be growing. I guess it might help to put a little glue in it. But honestly, I doubt that little crack would make much difference if the car rolled over.
well i got one just like this today, driving home. is there a repair kit i can get to seal up the nick on the outside? i can see the crescent moon right under the glass.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

Really? Bummer. I bugged Safelite about it and they ordered me OEM Honda glass. An identical fit...with the logo no less!
Originally Posted by xizor
my noises come and go since I had my winshield replaced. its warm now so I never appears, I'll have it looked at when its back in the fall
After replacing my glass, the TSX windshield noises have never come back.
Originally Posted by iamhomin
I'm getting mine replaced @26k.
Mine was changed at 1500.....

Quick Reply: New windshield @ 30K